View Poll Results: Is it unethical to sell off your gear when you agreed to deal with someone else?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It is unethical

44 86.27%
  • No. I'm ok to do this

7 13.73%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it unethical to sell off your gear when you agreed to deal with someone else?

Default Re: Is it unethical to sell off your gear when you agreed to deal with someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    There is no "deal" till there is exchange of money, or a written contract.

You have the right not to buy and to walk away after viewing the D40. He has the right to sell it away before meeting you. At least he had the decency to inform you that it is sold.
    this.

although it is technically common understanding that the item is 'reserved' for you, he has no obligation to do so. however, he should have mentioned it to you and given you fair chance to make the deal faster than the other guy.

Default Re: Is it unethical to sell off your gear when you agreed to deal with someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomster View Post
    I've had potential buyers, offering me $10, or up to $30 more than my BNP (when I had already agreed with another buyer), but I have never taken up any such offers. Why? So silly you ask? Can make another $30 what? That's not the way I deal. Sorry. Reputation and integrity is more important.
    Sorry i dont believe everyone is so principled. everyone can be bought with a price. if your bnp is 50 and i offer you 300. you are telling me you will still sell to the first guy you agreed to sell to? let's be realistic here. how much will work depends on individual. so please i believe there is a biting point before someone is persuaded.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    Sorry i dont believe everyone is so principled. everyone can be bought with a price. if your bnp is 50 and i offer you 300. you are telling me you will still sell to the first guy you agreed to sell to? let's be realistic here. how much will work depends on individual. so please i believe there is a biting point before someone is persuaded.
    well, that shows what level of integrity one has. For me a handshake or email confirmation or verbal confirmation is binding. if i tell or being told that the price is accepted then yes would sell at 50 even if a later offer is 300. However, if it is only reserved for viewing and not confirmed and i get a higher bid then i would inform the first bidder of the higher bid.
    See, here in Singapore everything goes, people think that the one who gets screwed is always the one at fault cause he did not check properly. And the people who screw are admired cause they are cunning and get the extra buck. People here have forgotten that a word is a word and a handshake a handshake... Email and internet are surely partially to blame cause you dont know the other side and you never may meet the person... so who cares about it. if you try it in your kampong and people point fingers at your for the next year you will not behave like this.
    So, guys, put the $ into the background, think more what honesty, honorable and integrity mean and make 2010 a better year with less complaints in this forum.
    merry christmas
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Yes, I know everyone is not so principled. That's what I can't understand. Taking your example, if you were to offer me $300 for something I was selling for $50, you must be really really really desperate or out of touch with reality. This is the type of weird SMS that i would avoid.

Seriously, though is this the type of deals you have encountered or merely pure fiction?

Cos, for me, I have only encountered someone offering up to $50 extra for an item. You are talking about 2nd hand stuff or even 3rd hand stuff. If buyer going to bump up the BNP to almost retail price, then might as well buy a brand new one right.

But hey, if you quoting from a real example, then either you were selling at way way way way too low a price, or your buyer is one weirdo.

I guess you have your way of looking at things, and I have mine. I am happy and comfortable with what I have been doing. No qualms whatsoever.

sorry to rain on your party but I will still sell at $50.

because i will honor commitment to first offeror and because i don't want someone to come to kopitiam later and say I rip them off!

All this has left me wondering whether stating a fixed price in the WTS thread is a more efficient method. I say this because it eliminates unneccesary bargaining as each party knows exactly what is expected, and, hopefully, will reduce, though not eliminate unethical practice as the seller could still play that game.

If there are no takers, the seller could re-post after three days with a lower price.

I am not sure what others think of this view but would certainly like to hear from you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123