Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Lens Hood

  1. #1

    Default Lens Hood

    Hi Everyone,

    I am not sure which type of Lens hood to purchase for my Canon 500D?
    Last edited by scarlette; 20th December 2009 at 01:00 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by scarlette View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    I am not sure what type of Lens hood should I purchase for my Canon 500D?
    You don't buy one for a camera. You buy one for a lens. What lens are you using?
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seletar, Singapore
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    if you're using kit lens, the hood to get is Canon EW-60C
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Every lens comes with a dedicated lens hood. It is independent of your camera. But unless u're getting L lens, u'll have to purchase the hood seperately. U may want to get a 3rd party hood instead which is much cheaper.

    Cheers!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You don't buy one for a camera. You buy one for a lens. What lens are you using?
    Ooops...oh yes. I am using the kit lens. EF-S 18-55mm.
    Last edited by scarlette; 20th December 2009 at 01:25 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by ianhyk View Post
    if you're using kit lens, the hood to get is Canon EW-60C
    Tot of visiting MS colour. Will get the suggested hood. Thank you.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
    Every lens comes with a dedicated lens hood. It is independent of your camera. But unless u're getting L lens, u'll have to purchase the hood seperately. U may want to get a 3rd party hood instead which is much cheaper.

    Cheers!
    Oh thank you. Heard about the flower type hood, can I use it for my lens?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by scarlette View Post
    Oh thank you. Heard about the flower type hood, can I use it for my lens?
    Hi, it's called petal lens hood, there are generic screw-in ones for your kit lens.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by scarlette View Post
    Oh thank you. Heard about the flower type hood, can I use it for my lens?
    Petal hood is not advisable for lenses with a rotating front element
    Alpha

  10. #10
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    hahaha agreed... it'd be funny to see the lens hood rotating with the focusing ring, if it's those screw-on type .

    TS, why do you feel that you need the lens hood?
    Exploring! :)

  11. #11
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by scarlette View Post
    Ooops...oh yes. I am using the kit lens. EF-S 18-55mm.
    dun waste $$$ to get hood for ur kit lens...

    soon u gonna sell them away de..

  12. #12

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hahaha agreed... it'd be funny to see the lens hood rotating with the focusing ring, if it's those screw-on type .

    TS, why do you feel that you need the lens hood?
    Was told that, lens hood, helps to minimize glare. I am not sure actually. Just wondering.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    dun waste $$$ to get hood for ur kit lens...

    soon u gonna sell them away de..
    oh oh

  14. #14

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by arkiroms View Post
    Hi, it's called petal lens hood, there are generic screw-in ones for your kit lens.
    oh petal hood. Learn a new noun today. I dun think I prefer the screw in ones.

  15. #15
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by scarlette View Post
    oh petal hood. Learn a new noun today. I dun think I prefer the screw in ones.
    IMHO...dun nn to waste $$$ buy hood for ur kit lens...

    anyway, it's up to u..

    I rather spend dat xtra $$$ on other stuff like a CPL filter...etc

  16. #16

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    hi guys ... anyone knows where can i get a Lens hood (petal type ) for 500d.... not the original.. canon.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    There's the Mass Sales section.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    hi guys ... anyone knows where can i get a Lens hood (petal type ) for 500d.... not the original.. canon.
    Dude, lens hoods are for lenses not camera and every lens has its own dedicated hood model.

  19. #19
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    You don't buy one for a camera. You buy one for a lens. What lens are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by blink182rul3z
    hi guys ... anyone knows where can i get a Lens hood (petal type ) for 500d.... not the original.. canon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rendition
    Dude, lens hoods are for lenses not camera and every lens has its own dedicated hood model.
    This was already answered in an earlier post WITHIN THE SAME THREAD...
    tsk tsk tsk... should read first before asking...
    Exploring! :)

  20. #20

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    You can get thrid party petal hoods from http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84

    For your info, I bought a 3rd party petal lens hood for my kit lens 18-55mm and when focusing at closer object at 18mm, you can see vignetting at the side of the image very clearly. So it is not advisable to get a petal hood unless you just want your camera to look nice The original hood cost around $30, which is round. You can get 3rd party hoods between $10 - $15.
    Canon 60D | EF-S 15-85mm | EF 50mm f1.8 | flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •