• direct connection between DSLR and computers via cable

10 18.87%
  • indirect connection between DSLR and computers via card reader

43 81.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mode of transferring images from DSLR to computers

Default Mode of transferring images from DSLR to computers

Hi all,

may i know your preference of transferring images from DSLR to computers via:

1.) direct connection between DSLR and computers via cable (just plug the USB connection cable from DSLR and computers)

2.) indirect connection between DSLR and computers via card reader (need to take out memory card from DSLR and insert it into the card reader, and then plug in to the computers's USB)

Whatever your choice of either preference stated, may i know why is that so?
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Default Re: Mode of transferring images from DSLR to computers

For myself, i prefer to use connection cable to transfer images from my P&S and DSLR cameras to my computers.

The reason is, i don't like to have to take out my memory cards from my digital cameras, then insert them into card reader and then plug into my computers' USB port, thereafter will have to re-insert the memory cards back into the digital cameras after transferring of images. I just don't want to risk spoiling the connectors inside the digital cameras.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

i use direct connection from dslr to pc, because i'm lazy to take out the memory card and put back after transfering.

being using card reader all the while, for total 6 DSLR bodies, shooting day in day out, remove and insert CF countless time over the years, never encounter any problems on damaging port or CF cards. you are worry to much already.

anyway, connecting camera to PC you are creating a bottle neck, you can't use camera at the same time and it is very slow in transferring, your shooting capacity also limited by ONE CF card.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

been using card reader all the while....since i practice rotating the usage of all of my cf card.
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

Quote Originally Posted by febarthez View Post
    i use direct connection from dslr to pc, because i'm lazy to take out the memory card and put back after transfering.
    Thanks febarthez for your feedback. Me too also lazy to take out memory card and then putting back after transferring.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    being using card reader all the while, for total 6 DSLR bodies, shooting day in day out, remove and insert CF countless time over the years, never encounter any problems on damaging port or CF cards. you are worry to much already.

anyway, connecting camera to PC you are creating a bottle neck, you can't use camera at the same time and it is very slow in transferring, your shooting capacity also limited by ONE CF card.
    Thanks catchlights for your in-sight and feedback. Wow you are a Professional photographer. Well i am only a hobbyist photographer shooting ONLY infrared with 2 of my converted Nikon DSLRs and colour photos with my coolpix 4500.

I use iMac G5 and desktop Mac G5, so the transferring of images via connection cable direct between my digital-cameras and my both my Mac computer are still fast.

Quote Originally Posted by RezzShaz View Post
    been using card reader all the while....since i practice rotating the usage of all of my cf card.
    Thanks RezzShaz for your feedback. All cf cards must be rotated?

I only use cf card that comes in each of the respective 3 digital-cameras i have. I seldom rotate the 3 cf cards.
    Last edited by SurrealDreamWalker; 19th December 2009 at 10:21 PM.

I'll take out the sd card & transfer using a card reader. I use a few sd cards & sometimes different cards for different occasion. So I won't have to go through the whole 4GB or 8gb to select the photos. I keep various capacity cards with me so I use them accordingly. That saves me time in transferring. I do rotate the cards also. I carry 1GB, 2GB, 4GB & 8 GB cards with me.
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Thanks febarthez for your feedback.
    I use iMac G5 and desktop Mac G5, so the transferring of images via connection cable direct between my digital-cameras and my both my Mac computer are still fast.

[/COLOR]
    The G5 Macs are sooo over-rated.

I use a PhotoFast GMonster 90MBps card and a Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MBps card. There's no way I can attain the throughput that I get using the card reader on the camera via direct USB. When you have a card full of images and if you want to have a faster transfer the ultimate choice is to use a good quality card reader. My card reader is already mounted on my PC Chassis on the floppy drive bay which makes it much easier.

I have a few cards too. So I use a card reader. If not, it's like taking out the cards and swap them using my dslr to act like a card reader.

Quote Originally Posted by geekbrains View Post
    I use a PhotoFast GMonster 90MBps card and a Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MBps card. There's no way I can attain the throughput that I get using the card reader on the camera via direct USB. When you have a card full of images and if you want to have a faster transfer the ultimate choice is to use a good quality card reader. My card reader is already mounted on my PC Chassis on the floppy drive bay which makes it much easier.
    Actually it depends on the DSLR too. The Sony A700 is faster than the Sandisk reader, and the A900 I'm using now is close. AFAIK the Nikon D300S is also quite fast.
    Alpha

card reader for me.

I am worried about the constant plugging and unplugging to the USB connection on the camera, so I use the card reader instead.

I think it is more of a habit rather than convenience for me but I always plugged straight to the PC be it my phone, PnS, dslr, mp3 player, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by geekbrains View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Actually it depends on the DSLR too. The Sony A700 is faster than the Sandisk reader, and the A900 I'm using now is close. AFAIK the Nikon D300S is also quite fast.
    Thanks Rashkae and geekbrains for your feedback. 2 of my Nikon DSLR and P&S digital cameras are obsolete and of 'old technology'... and both my iMac G5 and desktop Powerpc G5 are also obsolete but still going strong and fast. I like to buy 2nd hand working condition old technology DSLR/ computer products.

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    card reader for me.
    Thanks giantcanopy for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by darkspore View Post
    I am worried about the constant plugging and unplugging to the USB connection on the camera, so I use the card reader instead.
    Thanks darkspore for your feedback. Interesting... May i know how the constant plugging and unplugging to the USB connection via cable will spoil our DSLR cameras? If that's the case, then will our USB thumbdrives also get spoiled by constant plugging and unplugging too? May i have your deeper in-sights on this.
    Last edited by SurrealDreamWalker; 20th December 2009 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnings View Post
    I think it is more of a habit rather than convenience for me but I always plugged straight to the PC be it my phone, PnS, dslr, mp3 player, etc...
    Thanks Burnings for your feedback. For myself, direct connection is both a habit and a convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by hongjone View Post
    I have a few cards too. So I use a card reader. If not, it's like taking out the cards and swap them using my dslr to act like a card reader.
    Thanks hongjone for your feedback. One of my DSLR has to use the card reader becoz the camera was an old technology, while the other DSLR and a P&S are using the direct connection method.

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    The G5 Macs are sooo over-rated.
    Thanks cks2k2 for your feedback. I will take your comment with a pinch of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    I'll take out the sd card & transfer using a card reader. I use a few sd cards & sometimes different cards for different occasion. So I won't have to go through the whole 4GB or 8gb to select the photos. I keep various capacity cards with me so I use them accordingly. That saves me time in transferring. I do rotate the cards also. I carry 1GB, 2GB, 4GB & 8 GB cards with me.
    Thanks madmartian for your feedback. Wow you're a professional photographer too. Interesting in-sights on your working style.
    Last edited by SurrealDreamWalker; 20th December 2009 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Rashkae, I beg to differ.

Nikon D300S tops at 14.3 MB/s using the USB whereas it tops at 28MB/s using my PC's card reader.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300s/page13.asp

The same goes for Sony Alpha A900 which tops only at 17 MB/s using USB.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra900/page13.asp

Please refer DPreview for more info.

Oh i use a card reader. It is much faster this way.
    D300/700/3S|14-24|24-70|70-200|17-55|16|14|24PC|28|50|85|105M|135DC|500|18-200|24-120|200-400|T11-16

I used the pc connection the first time I transferred pics

somehow i feared the worst when waiting for the connection to be terminated as it took quite long

I also had bad experience with my old Jvc camcorder when the direct connection went bersek and the camcorder was damaged after that

I since switched to solely using the card reader to transfer my pics
    Canon 40D | 10-22mm | 18-200mm IS | 50mm 1.8 || 430 EXII | Metz 20c | LX3 |

card reader...oddly its faster then the built in card reader of my pc for some reason.

here is what it looks like.

You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast