Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Can most P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras be infected by computer viruses?

  1. #1
    Member SurrealDreamWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Can most P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras be infected by computer viruses?

    Hi all,

    may i know whether all P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras can be infected by computer viruses?

    Any difference/ chance of infections between the 2 methods:

    1.) if we transfer images from digital-cameras to computers via connection cable between them?

    2.) if we transfer images from digital-cameras to computers by taking out digital-cameras' memory cards before inserting it in a card reader, and then plugged in to the computers' USB port?

    I asked because a few people advised me against transferring of images via connection cable. They recommended transferring via card reader.

    As for myself, i always transfer via connection cable, and so far no viruses infections has happened to my P&S AND Digital-SLR cameras. I use cable connection to transfer my images because i don't like to take out my digital-camera's memory cards and plug in to my computers's UBS via card reader and then inserting back memory cards into my digital-cameras again. I worried more about spoiling the connectors inside the digital-cameras's hardware and the memory cards.

    After transferring the images, sometimes i delete the images stored in the memory card via computers' trash function on the desktop, and sometimes i delete them via delete/ format functions in the digital-cameras. My memory cards are NEVER been used to transfer/ store any images/ files from computers to digital cameras.

    Please share your in-sights/ inputs on this.

    Thanks, and best of regards.
    Last edited by SurrealDreamWalker; 19th December 2009 at 07:18 PM.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

  2. #2
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Can most P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras be infected by computer viru

    From what I know, a virus infected computer can infect the flash card but not the camera.

  3. #3
    Member SurrealDreamWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: Can most P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras be infected by computer viru

    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    From what I know, a virus infected computer can infect the flash card but not the camera.
    Thanks for your reply.

    So, you transfer your images via cable connection or card reader?
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

  4. #4
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Can most P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras be infected by computer viru

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

    So, you transfer your images via cable connection or card reader?
    Virus from computer will infect flash card whether you transfer by card reader or camera.

    Just make sure your computer have the latest virus definition at all times.

  5. #5
    Member SurrealDreamWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: Can most P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras be infected by computer viru

    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Virus from computer will infect flash card whether you transfer by card reader or camera.

    Just make sure your computer have the latest virus definition at all times.
    Ok thanks.

    May i know your preference for transferring of images: cable connection or card reader?
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can most P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras be infected by computer viru

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Hi all,

    may i know whether all P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras can be infected by computer viruses?

    Any difference/ chance of infections between the 2 methods:

    1.) if we transfer images from digital-cameras to computers via connection cable between them?

    2.) if we transfer images from digital-cameras to computers by taking out digital-cameras' memory cards before inserting it in a card reader, and then plugged in to the computers' USB port?

    I asked because a few people advised me against transferring of images via connection cable. They recommended transferring via card reader.

    As for myself, i always transfer via connection cable, and so far no viruses infections has happened to my P&S AND Digital-SLR cameras. I use cable connection to transfer my images because i don't like to take out my digital-camera's memory cards and plug in to my computers's UBS via card reader and then inserting back memory cards into my digital-cameras again. I worried more about spoiling the connectors inside the digital-cameras's hardware and the memory cards.

    After transferring the images, sometimes i delete the images stored in the memory card via computers' trash function on the desktop, and sometimes i delete them via delete/ format functions in the digital-cameras. My memory cards are NEVER been used to transfer/ store any images/ files from computers to digital cameras.

    Please share your in-sights/ inputs on this.

    Thanks, and best of regards.
    Its not possible for normal computer viruses to execute on your camera due to hardware differences (cpu architecture etc). Still its possible to get your computer infected via a virus in the memory card.

    There is no big difference btw transferring from cable or directly from the card. Transfer from cable = data go from card to cable to PC. The only thing is you can probably hit higher data transfer rates from directly reading from card, but then you're still restricted by USB data bus speed.

  7. #7
    Member SurrealDreamWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: Can most P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras be infected by computer viru

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    Its not possible for normal computer viruses to execute on your camera due to hardware differences (cpu architecture etc). Still its possible to get your computer infected via a virus in the memory card.

    There is no big difference btw transferring from cable or directly from the card. Transfer from cable = data go from card to cable to PC. The only thing is you can probably hit higher data transfer rates from directly reading from card, but then you're still restricted by USB data bus speed.
    Thanks for your reply, and in-sights.

    May i know your preference of transferring of images: cable or card reader?
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

  8. #8

    Default Re: Can most P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras be infected by computer viru

    My main machine (laptop) has a built-in card reader so i use that. also don't like to carry (then lose) my cable.

  9. #9
    Member Burnings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: Can most P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras be infected by computer viru

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Hi all,

    may i know whether all P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras can be infected by computer viruses?

    Any difference/ chance of infections between the 2 methods:

    1.) if we transfer images from digital-cameras to computers via connection cable between them?

    2.) if we transfer images from digital-cameras to computers by taking out digital-cameras' memory cards before inserting it in a card reader, and then plugged in to the computers' USB port?

    I asked because a few people advised me against transferring of images via connection cable. They recommended transferring via card reader.

    As for myself, i always transfer via connection cable, and so far no viruses infections has happened to my P&S AND Digital-SLR cameras. I use cable connection to transfer my images because i don't like to take out my digital-camera's memory cards and plug in to my computers's UBS via card reader and then inserting back memory cards into my digital-cameras again. I worried more about spoiling the connectors inside the digital-cameras's hardware and the memory cards.

    After transferring the images, sometimes i delete the images stored in the memory card via computers' trash function on the desktop, and sometimes i delete them via delete/ format functions in the digital-cameras. My memory cards are NEVER been used to transfer/ store any images/ files from computers to digital cameras.

    Please share your in-sights/ inputs on this.

    Thanks, and best of regards.
    Dun worry, the only way you can mess up your dslr is via firmware update. Other than that, it is virtually corruption proof.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Can most P&S digital-cameras AND Digital-SLR cameras be infected by computer viru

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Ok thanks.

    May i know your preference for transferring of images: cable connection or card reader?
    I just remove Memory Stick from camera & insert into laptop card reader.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •