View Poll Results: Is this a fair deal?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It was a mutual trade between two parties.

8 57.14%
  • No. It was misleading on the seller's part.

6 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me if this is fair.

Default Tell me if this is fair.

I posted a sell thread on CS classifieds a few days ago, selling an OEM pop up flash diffuser (that was the title), design inspired by Gary Fong.

During the sale, he had not clarified whether it was a real or remake. I also did not cover up that it was a remake.

Another point is - why would I want to trick someone for $12, at the expense of my reputation in CS? I guess I have made more than several tradings in here already, and I must say all the trades were very pleasant and smooth, first time meeting into such a thing.

After buying it, he says the thread is misleading - tricking him into thinking that it is the original product from Gary Fong, and not a remake from other company.

CSers, please tell me if I have been clear enough in stating my terms.

If you guys think that it was fraudulent, I will gladly refund the money.

Default Re: Tell me if this is fair.

Words to TS, Seller : It is misleading, yes it is only $12 dollars, sometime it is not about the money but it is a matter of principle, what I'm paying will be just around $4 overpaid which is not a great deal. Just wanted it to be justified thats all, your thread is clearly misleading.
    . I wish to solve this amicably, please. In our phone conversation, you said that OEM is same as any one who have make the design of a brand product owned by another company and you are very firm about the term OEM. Even if I clarify with you the authenticity of the product at the spot you would told me it is OEM and I would have thought it is OEM by Gary Fong anyway, which essentially means it is his product.

Link to original sale thread : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622383

Title of sale thread : savager WTSell: Others - OEM Pop Up Flash Diffuser ( Puffer ) *look, it states as OEM Pop Up Flash Diffuser ( Puffer - Look at this again, it is a trademark of Gary Fong )

Content from thread:
    Advertisement Category: Want To Sell (WTS)

Equipment Type: Others
    Equipment Brand: OEM
    Equipment Model: Pop Up Flash Diffuser ( Puffer )
    Price (S$): 12
    Description:
    selling the pop up flash diffuser, design inspired by Gary Fong ( the puffer )

reason for selling is simply that I stopped using pop-up years ago.. playing with off-camera hot-shoe flashes nowadays. haha.

deal only @ Marsiling - Tues to Thurs, Yew Tee - Fri - Monday!

sms only if you're sure to buy! straightforward product - you can find the reviews on the net.

Contact Number: 9068XXXX

Definition for OEM :

Taken from : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OEM

An original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, manufactures products or components which are purchased by a purchasing company and retailed under the purchasing company's brand name. OEM refers to the company that originally manufactured the product.
    It is a type of contract manufacturing and a form of outsourcing.

When referring to automotive parts, OEM designates a replacement part made by the manufacturer of the original part.

Forumers, please justify it right or wrong. Thanks
    Last edited by kryptonik; 19th December 2009 at 02:04 PM.

I have the one that TS is selling and I've seen the GaryFong original product before. Obviously, you get quality in proportion to the amount you spend. I don't think this is an OEM. I'd call it a knockoff of the GaryFong puffer.

seller did not state its OEM of Gary Fong's Product, but just OEM

and seller stated "design inspired by Gary Fong ( the puffer )"

so its not.. the exact Gary Fong Puffer
    pedantic.

It states : Others - OEM Pop Up Flash Diffuser ( Puffer )

The picture he used is from Gary Fong

Puffer is a trade mark of Gary Fong.

So the title means : Want to Sell, OEM Pop Up Flash Diffuser ( Puffer - Trade mark of Gary Fong)
    Last edited by kryptonik; 19th December 2009 at 02:07 PM.

I'd like to justify my point :

1. It is a common practice that buyers should check their items before buying.
    2. It's obvious for the price that one is paying for.
    3. The quality can be seen before your very own eyes - before you pay.
    4. It is also common practice to use the term "inspired" when referring to items that take reference to the original product, aka a remake.

Seriously, I think posting this thread with replies, plus the amount of frustration i get over a trade costs more than $12 already. nuff said.

to the buyer : why don't you even dare to use your real nick to post here? definitely fishy. either you are really new, or you don't dare to reveal your identity. If you are the former, let me tell you that most buyers won't even bother picking up their phones after the trade. and FYI, you are using WIKIPEDIA to quote the OEM - a source that cannot be relied on.

I am also not sure myself whether this was a true gary fong product to begin with when i bought the product. The main point is - if it serves my purpose, then i'm cool with it.
    Last edited by savager; 19th December 2009 at 02:08 PM.

This is my real nick, I am a beginner, nothing wrong to post as a beginner right?

You can't rely on Wikipedia? They can close down the website already then.

It is uncommon because if every human is like you, the world would become monotone.

It is not obvious, I'm paying just $15 lesser than Gary Fong's new one flown from USA

Yes, but what can a newbie know about quality my friend?

4. It is also common practice to use the term "inspired" when referring to items that take reference to the original product, aka a remake.
    It is uncommon because u used OEM in title. And u used Puffer.

I'm not even harsh my friend, the other thing is when in the phone conversation I'm asking for refund? Since you want the members to judge it then so be it, I'll just post whatever my understanding is and let all people decide.

If you have malice intended, refund and resolve the matter amicably for a win-win ending.

I wouldn't sell a watch in a way like

Title : OEM Watch with Chronograph Function (Daytona)

Content from thread:
    Advertisement Category: Want To Sell (WTS)

Equipment Type: Others
    Equipment Brand: OEM
    Equipment Model: Daytona
    Price (S$): 5,000
    Description:

Selling the Daytona Watch, Inspired by Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
    This is my real nick, I am a beginner, nothing wrong to post as a beginner right?

It is uncommon because if every human is like you, the world would become monotone.

It is not obvious, I'm paying just $15 lesser than Gary Fong's new one flown from USA

I'm not even harsh my friend, the other thing is when in the phone conversation I'm asking for refund? Since you want the members to judge it then so be it, I'll just post whatever my understanding is and let all people decide.
    The original puffer costs at least $35. $12 is the selling price of a imitation puffer at the Mass Sales anyway.

My humble opinions.. Buyer should do his or her homework before purchasing. Before you pay, you are the boss. After you pay, you can only suck and move on. If you choose to believe whatever the seller says, then accept it willingly and not make a fuss. On the other hand, I felt that the seller could be clearer in drafting his advertorial, perhaps put up a "non-authentic" sub-info. Though the word "inspired" means an obvious "chiong" to me, some newbie might just overlook the fact as your stated price is too good to be true for them!

http://store.garyfonginc.com/puf-01.html

PUFFER - Pop-Up Flash Diffuser
    Item #: PUF-RETAIL
    Regular Price: $24.95
    NOW ONLY: $19.95
    Availability: Usually ships the next business day.

Using the current exchange rate, it amounts to around $27

lol, you sounded like i owe you a million dollars and if i don't pay up by today, i'll just die.

all your arguments are flawed, to tell the truth. I am confident in refuting all the statements you made but i guess that's not the point. will just end up in a flame war anyway.

I think i may favour you, as the "victim", to make a police report about the matter, rather than wasting everyone's time over ridiculous pennies.

Thanks, peace.

Quote Originally Posted by dingchang85 View Post
    My humble opinions.. Buyer should do his or her homework before purchasing. Before you pay, you are the boss. After you pay, you can only suck and move on. If you choose to believe whatever the seller says, then accept it willingly and not make a fuss. On the other hand, I felt that the seller could be clearer in drafting his advertorial, perhaps put up a "non-authentic" sub-info. Though the word "inspired" means an obvious "chiong" to me, some newbie might just overlook the fact as your stated price is too good to be true for them!
    Thanks for the really objective opinion you have here. same sentiments exactly. I myself have bought fakes before without me knowing, until I've paid up. However I learn from my mistake and always be meticulous in checking the items before i pay for my items.

Quote Originally Posted by dingchang85 View Post
    It seems that newbie are not human in this forum

Yes, I've went reasonable extent to do the research regarding the product.
    And I approached him first before posting anything, and he started the thread first, so I've not seen a seller who kicks up a fuss when it is clearly their side of misrepresenting.
    Look, I've not even asked for refund yet.
    If I believe whatever the seller says, it clearly means misrepresentation but in this case, I'll give seller a benefit of doubt that he did not have the intention to cheat, did not intentionally misrepresent, I just hoped that he would respond in a friendly nice way which he did not.
    He smsed me saying he will get this case justified by the forumers.
    Sometime, post count and year joined means nothing much. You can have a very old account but u still have a very narrow heart which cannot accept facts which you ownself stated.

http://store.garyfonginc.com/puf-01.html

PUFFER - Pop-Up Flash Diffuser
    Item #: PUF-RETAIL
    Regular Price: $24.95
    NOW ONLY: $19.95
    Availability: Usually ships the next business day.

Using the current exchange rate, it amounts to around $27
    Ah. And shipping is free

Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    lol, you sounded like i owe you a million dollars and if i don't pay up by today, i'll just die.

all your arguments are flawed, to tell the truth. I am confident in refuting all the statements you made but i guess that's not the point. will just end up in a flame war anyway.

I think i may favour you, as the "victim", to make a police report about the matter, rather than wasting everyone's time over ridiculous pennies.

Thanks, peace.
    Look at how you phrase your words ?

If you looked closer earlier, I drive my own Camry, I wear my own rolex, as I said, I did not even ask for refund, I just wanted to know why is it like that.
    Clear case of misrepresentation, but I'll give u the benefit of doubt.
    I am not even asking for money ... please..

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Ah. And shipping is free
    Oh my bad, not to take shipping into account, just thought I found a great deal.

$12 dollars, and you posted the thread first, when you put the facts on the table, it is clearly a misrepresentation.

after reading the seller's post, i am more inclined to empathise with the seller.

(1) Inspired - the used of the word "inspired" is often used to indicate a copy.
    (2) OEM refers to the company that acquires a component and incorporates it into a new product with its own brand name.

During the transaction, caveat emptor should take precedence. whether the buyer was mis-represented, it is one man's words against another.

my suggestions:
    to the buyer - there is nothing mechanical about the product so i dont think it makes alot of difference whether it is gary fong original or not. also seller is not obliged to give a refund since he did not state anything abt refunds due to unsatisfactory products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast