Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

  1. #21

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ongandy View Post
    Interm of lens selection for Pentax, is it wide range or limited range selection ?
    All Pentax K mount lenses since ~30yrs back are usable on the camera.
    Many are inexpensive and good, some are legendary; Of course some are expensive and rare (but all usable in a 21st century camera with on-body shake reduction to boot). Usage of old lenses are well supported by the camera bodies with focus confirmation and exposure metering. No other camera provides this sort of direct backward compatibility short of paying for the most high end camera bodies.

    The newest lenses now are the DA series. You should not be lacking in any focal length especially once you add in the 3rd party options.
    You can have a look here for the current lens options and prices.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534146

    Just note that the list excludes the older F and FA lenses which are AF and auto aperture as well as even older manual lenses (to form a very long list indeed!).
    Older lenses are not too hard to obtain on the internet or in BnS here.
    Do browse about in the Pentax sub-forum here to gather more info.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 18th December 2009 at 11:33 AM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member dorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by whattokingu View Post
    great choice, why do you need wide lens selection when 4 lens can cover 95% of your needs? Haha.
    I am talking about 7-14 F4, 14-35 F2, 35-100 F2, 90-250 F2.8. Cream of the crop.

    THey may be zooms, but their quality is close to primes.
    Yea. Your wallet will be gone by then.. Eat bread for 25 years.

  3. #23

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Do consider the Olympus E-450 carefully as it has no IS. This should not be a problem if you keep shutter speed at the focal length of the lens (in 35mm film format terms). The Oly Kit lens 14 -45 is quiet decent too. It's nice and small to boot (both lens and camera). Id you must go the canon way pick up the 450 or 500. But do remember canon's lenses do cost a bit more.

  4. #24
    Senior Member dorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by magicdragon View Post
    Do consider the Olympus E-450 carefully as it has no IS. This should not be a problem if you keep shutter speed at the focal length of the lens (in 35mm film format terms). The Oly Kit lens 14 -45 is quiet decent too. It's nice and small to boot (both lens and camera). Id you must go the canon way pick up the 450 or 500. But do remember canon's lenses do cost a bit more.
    Come to think about it, I forgot that the E450 has no IS.. You might wanna try E620 in this case.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    All Pentax K mount lenses since ~30yrs back are usable on the camera.
    Many are inexpensive and good, some are legendary; Of course some are expensive and rare (but all usable in a 21st century camera with on-body shake reduction to boot). Usage of old lenses are well supported by the camera bodies with focus confirmation and exposure metering. No other camera provides this sort of direct backward compatibility short of paying for the most high end camera bodies.

    The newest lenses now are the DA series. You should not be lacking in any focal length especially once you add in the 3rd party options.
    You can have a look here for the current lens options and prices.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534146

    Just note that the list excludes the older F and FA lenses which are AF and auto aperture as well as even older manual lenses (to form a very long list indeed!).
    Older lenses are not too hard to obtain on the internet or in BnS here.
    Do browse about in the Pentax sub-forum here to gather more info.
    Thanks for the infomation, the body price are about the same as Olympus
    Good image comes from the Camera not Photoshop.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    Come to think about it, I forgot that the E450 has no IS.. You might wanna try E620 in this case.
    i have my budget under 1K so i will still stick with E450. i am just a beginner still got alot to learn, i am a newbies and would like to know wat is IS stand for ..
    Good image comes from the Camera not Photoshop.

  7. #27
    Senior Member dorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ongandy View Post
    i have my budget under 1K so i will still stick with E450. i am just a beginner still got alot to learn, i am a newbies and would like to know wat is IS stand for ..
    It stands for Image Stablisation which helps to compensate for slight handshakes when your shutter speed is slow.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ongandy View Post
    i have my budget under 1K so i will still stick with E450. i am just a beginner still got alot to learn, i am a newbies and would like to know wat is IS stand for ..
    Maybe you can consider the Sony A230/330/380/500 or Pentax K-X instead since they come with build in stabiliser.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Maybe you can consider the Sony A230/330/380/500 or Pentax K-X instead since they come with build in stabiliser.
    Thanks for the advise, for Pentax K-X one of the disadvantage is that the battery drain out fast as i saw on the reviews other wise the performance is great.
    Good image comes from the Camera not Photoshop.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ongandy View Post
    Thanks for the advise, for Pentax K-X one of the disadvantage is that the battery drain out fast as i saw on the reviews other wise the performance is great.
    Maybe you can take a look at Sony then. My only gripe about the Sony A230/330/380 is the small grip which makes it quite uncomfortable to my hands and the lower battery strength capacity (as compared to the other Sony models). The A500/550 is pretty good.

    Anyway, there are strength and weaknesses in every system. There is no perfect system out there. Just get something within your budget, you're confortable holding and using and shortcomings that you're willing to accept.

    Do not read too much about the so call reviews as they only reflect what the person tested it feels and there will always be some bias in the reviews. You are the one using the cam, so you should not buy based on others' experience. Go to the shops to see which is more comfortable in your hands and the user interface is most comfortable to you.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  11. #31

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ongandy View Post
    i have my budget under 1K so i will still stick with E450. i am just a beginner still got alot to learn, i am a newbies and would like to know wat is IS stand for ..
    Will you ever find yourself looking for a (cheap) 80mm F/2.8 equivalent?
    Last edited by grantyale; 18th December 2009 at 03:47 PM.

  12. #32

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ongandy View Post
    Thanks for the infomation, the body price are about the same as Olympus
    Its no longer the same value once you count in the Shake Reduction, APS-C sensor, Newer sensor (read ISO range and high ISO noise reduction), HD video (for what its worth). With the Kx you have very little (if anything) to grow out of. Simply put, a very high level entry to advanced amateur camera for the price of other brands entry level.

    If you are concerned about the battery life, remember that you are using AA with its advantages and disadvantages. If you forget your charger or battery on a trip, you can easily find AA's. For proprietary batteries if the charger or battery is spoilt years later with no replacement, thats it for the camera as well. No so for AA.
    Just carry spares and a set of Lithium AAs as backup.

  13. #33
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    As an Olympus user and I've used Canon DSLR before, let me tell how it differs..


    • For the price with the lenses included, Olympus is a better bargain for the uses. As mentioned before, the 14-42mm and 40-150mm lens give you coverage for landscape, architectural, portraiture, nature and animals photography etc.
    • Another difference is the image stabilizer (IS). For canon, it depends on the lenses for its IS but for Olympus, it's an in-body stabilizer. This means that for Olympus, what digital 4/3 lenses you mount onto the body, it will have IS.
    • If you're looking for "bokeh" shots, Olympus "bokeh" may not be that strong as compared to Canon's.
    • As for noise, the noise control for Olympus is not that good when you go beyond ISO 400.
    • Olympus also have lesser lens choices as compared to Canon range of lenses.


    ~~~~~
    These are some things which I can compare between Canon and Olympus system.
    Both systems have its pros and cons.

    Hope this helps you!
    Last edited by shaoken; 18th December 2009 at 03:59 PM.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    As an Olympus user and I've used Canon DSLR before, let me tell how it differs..


    • For the price with the lenses included, Olympus is a better bargain for the uses. As mentioned before, the 14-42mm and 40-150mm lens give you coverage for landscape, architectural, portraiture, nature and animals photography etc.
    • Another difference is the image stabilizer (IS). For canon, it depends on the lenses for its IS but for Olympus, it's an in-body stabilizer. This means that for Olympus, what digital 4/3 lenses you mount onto the body, it will have IS.


    ~~~~~
    These are some things which I can compare between Canon and Olympus system.
    Both systems have its pros and cons.

    Hope this helps you!
    Base on this 2 point i guess is good enough for a Newbies like me . Unless i become a Pro someday then i will consider Nikon D90 or maybe Canon EOS 7D. For now i will take E450 Olympus DSLR Twin lens Kit for my starter kit.
    Good image comes from the Camera not Photoshop.

  15. #35

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ongandy View Post
    Base on this 2 point i guess is good enough for a Newbies like me . Unless i become a Pro someday then i will consider Nikon D90 or maybe Canon EOS 7D. For now i will take E450 Olympus DSLR Twin lens Kit for my starter kit.
    TS, FYI,
    E450 does not have a sensor shift image stabilizer.
    It uses software image stabilization (ie. compensates by shifting ISO and shutter speed higher).

  16. #36
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ongandy View Post
    Base on this 2 point i guess is good enough for a Newbies like me . Unless i become a Pro someday then i will consider Nikon D90 or maybe Canon EOS 7D. For now i will take E450 Olympus DSLR Twin lens Kit for my starter kit.
    There are pros out there using Sony, Pentax and Olympus too. Doesn't mean that only Canon & Nikon are good enough for pros.

    Anyway as staed by the helpful bros, you may want to consider getting another model as the E450 does not have build in image stabiliser which is pretty useful (at least to me, who has very shaky hands).
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  17. #37

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ongandy View Post
    Base on this 2 point i guess is good enough for a Newbies like me . Unless i become a Pro someday then i will consider Nikon D90 or maybe Canon EOS 7D. For now i will take E450 Olympus DSLR Twin lens Kit for my starter kit.
    Both Canon and Nikon offer inexpensive zooms with in-lens image stabilization. Eg. EFs18-55IS and EFS55-250IS.

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: e450 olympus or 1000D canon DSLR

    Thanks everyone for the valueble advise to me . appreciated alot. i shall reconsider it and ofcos within my budget.
    Good image comes from the Camera not Photoshop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •