Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man hit by teen cyclist, died

Default Re: Man hit by teen cyclist, died

Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
    I hate it when cyclist ring their bells from behind & ask me to get outta the way

Last month I got ran down by a cyclist at ECP, kena a fractured ankle & not a word of sorry
    Were you on cycling path or pedestrian walkway in ECP ? Maybe, he thought you have created the accident if you were on the wrong path. Some cyclists just can't cycle straight and so do some pedestrians.

I think alot of Singapore social issue can be blame on the fact that our this tiny island is mainly comprised of chinese, (I am not trying to pick a racial fight) I am chinese myself.

some how the chinese culture is not a very gracious one, we tend to eat others and never be willing to be on the short end of the pole.

watched this comedian video (peter russell) one of his joke is abt chinese and indian (the comedian is a canadian born indian himself). his joke is that chinese and indian can NEVER work together in business as chinese will try to earn every single cent off u while indian will try and save every single cent. thou its a joke I find it very true. our social up bringing and culture have form a not so gracious society, where ppl with bigger car or faster bike, bicycle, always want ppl to give way to them thinking they can always bully their way thru.

(i personally do cycle from time to time, and i do speed on pavement at up to 30km/h but I do note my surrounding and slow down to even walking pace if i have to, at busy junction or just moving along behind ppl on the pavement, I will only over take when there is space. I dont ring bell as i dont have one, even if i have one i dont think i use it much as i dont really like ringing bell.)

having been to a few country, I think Singapore thou is a safe country, but we are not a gracious country, the graciousness that we often see locally is sometimes fake, (ie service ppl are constantly being reminded by their management to service with a smile, be polite) how much of this really come from the person him/her self and not thing enforced or grilled into the person. Japan; Tokyo thou the same oriental skin ppl, their ppl are so graceful, they are generally polite and gracious to all, in which i believe its alot due to their culture, society and upbring they created such a society.

its hard to grow a rose in the desert, but u can grow a cactus in a garden full of flowers. its just not something we can change easily, sad.
    Last edited by nixontkl; 18th December 2009 at 01:10 PM.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

when you happen to see a cyclist coming from behind you, anyone tried pretending to stretch out your arms and pretend to yawn? might be able to throw e cyclist off the bike. it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Were you on cycling path or pedestrian walkway in ECP ? Maybe, he thought you have created the accident if you were on the wrong path. Some cyclists just can't cycle straight and so do some pedestrians.
    Was on the sidewalk

Quote Originally Posted by kuanwk View Post
    it can be made a simpler situation, if u juz apply the following principle:
    Give AND take, dun juz take and take.

The road is not yours, neither is the footpath, nor the bus exits.
    It is better to follow the original protocol, then things will work smoothly. (there was a bus campaign many years back which educate on this, now it is forgotten)

It is the same thing when u go up the escalator, U stand on the left side if u are not in a hurry, allowing people at the back to move upward.

The same thing if you board a mrt, you give way to passengers who are alighting, before you enter the mrt.

There are protocols to be followed if we want a more efficient way of life. It's not a simple matter of "give and take". The japanese is good in this aspect of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
    Hmm... I gotta say I am actually ok with people cycling on the sidewalks, especially those aunties ferrying their kids back from sch or some ah peks here & there but they do have to understand that they do not own the sidewalk, sidewalks are meant for pedestrians only.

Technically, bicycles are meant to be on the road only. So until the day cyclist on the sidewalks have a better education on that, I do not see an improvement on the current situation
    Actually it would be shiok if we have a dedicated lane. Why? cos no need to go up and down pavement, and seriously road surface is a lot better than pavement.
    Cyclists have been lobbying for that, may be padestrian who dont want cyclist to be at the pavement should lobby for that too! Another thing, what about padestrian who stray onto cyclist path? Should they be fined? Gov can collect lots of money fining these pedestrians at East Coast Park.

Race or where the person came from shouldn't even be considered in this topic. Neither are we generalizing cyclists as a whole, so let's not use the "well others are violating anyway..." angle as that will lead to nowhere.

The facts are:

1) There are no dedicated cycle lanes in most parts of SG. Until then, what's the government's official decision about where cyclists should use their vehicles? Note that bikes are vehicles, so they shouldn't be on pedestrian lanes, period. Laws can be made, but will they be enforced?

Rules should apply to all or applies to none, rules shouldn't have exceptions just because you're old or ferrying kids to schools as giving exceptions open the floodgates to subjective excuses such as "I just dropped off my child, of course I'm alone now!", and we all know there are sexagenarian that are stronger than folks in their 30s hehe.

2) If cyclists aren't allowed to use pedestrians, are they allowed to use the open road? If yes, then there should be bike lanes or at the very least, set parameters as to what roads bikes aren't allowed to venture onto such as main thoroughfares and highways. In HK, for example, bikes (even motorcycles) aren't allowed on elevated highways and roads.

Frankly, if those who choose to use sidewalks for their bikes have the basic courtesy to get off their bikes or at least slow-down enough to maneuver around people safely instead of staying on the bike and ringing their bells (or shouting at pedestrians), then this issue will be minimized.

Going back to the article, it seems that the accident was at a parking lot and not the sidewalk, however. Who's at fault will be harder to track unless CCTV or something concrete is presented.

The court has decided that it was a misfortune.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    The court has decided that it was a misfortune.
    wow. really misfortune.

the word misfourtune means unlucky, suay. luck. cannot siam one.

note tat this kind of accidents can be ************ avoided.

wad bs.

the police shld actually check if the teenager has got brakes on his bicycle.. hhmm..

Blog Entries

or if teenager blind. he shld cycle on the road. road safety. cyclists are supposed to drive on roads in the lane closest to their left. and with the flow of traffic.

its these kind of *******s who break the law and end up accidents tat makes my dad say NO to me getting a bike

f**kers.

Like that must suggest all cyclist must attend to Road Safety Park for the road safety course and practical test.

Blog Entries

i second tat. i went for the course. turn left hor must raise ur left hand and wave like a chicken pls.

~~

its even better if we force cyclists to get a cycling lisence. all for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by kuanwk View Post
    it can be made a simpler situation, if u juz apply the following principle:
    Give AND take, dun juz take and take.

The road is not yours, neither is the footpath, nor the bus exits.
    I understand what you mean, i am not going to put foreigner on spot but how you feel if your pregnant wife walking on foot path and some ahole hit her, or your old mother or sister or daughter or your old father?
    I am always in favor of give and take but i find it will be very difficult to find whose at fault when they hit someone.
    I have seen a number of ppl (specially chinese/malay) riding cycles with electric motor and they drive @ speed of 40km/h +, can imagine they cycle on footpath .
    5D3|35L|50f1.8II|580EXII

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12