Thread: Pontocho in Kyoto

Default Pontocho in Kyoto

Body : Canon EOS 500D
    Lens : 50mm f/1.8 II
    Focal Length : 50mm
    Aperture : f/2.8

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    I would like feedback on the composition and the mood of the picture.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I like dark picture , but i want to get it with a nice art things.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I take this picture when i walk in the cool and darker on pontocho street , because i'm just take an easy walk , i don't bring my tripod . I take the lower exposure -1 from my canon body .

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
    I though this is my good shoot so far , but still need feed back because i'm still in primary school about photography .
    EOS 500D + EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM + EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Default Re: Pontocho in Kyoto

Hi, I am a primary school in photography too. IMHO the picture would be better without the 2 people inside because on first eyeball, I noticed the girl first, but it is OOF and I am not sure whether that is the subject of the whole picture. The lamp on the right looks sharp but it is too small to be considered the subject so for me it is confusing in terms of eye ball movement as I dunno where should I really focus on the picture.

Composition wise, I feel that the extreme right should be crop out to hide the shutter door which should give me a more balanced feel as there is also a lamp at the extreme left.

Just my 2 cents

Blog Entries

perhaps anchoring the images (in foreground?) with one of the lanterns would strengthen the overall image ?

i can see the idea but the lanterns seems very scattered

the human interest could anchor it somewhat but facing in wrong direction and detached from subjects

agree with ed9119. i would crop the photo and make it portrait, including maybe 1 lantern big in the foreground, using rule of thirds, and the woman on another rule of 1/3s line, and more lanterns in the background. your image is kind of focus-less. also, what's that distracting orange fringe in the left foreground/edge of frame? if its a lantern, show more so that we can see what it is. as it is, its too bright and just distracts the viewer