Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Newbie at Marco Photography

Default A Newbie at Marco Photography

hi, recently i just chanced upon a very interesting lens with a dedicated 1:1 marco extender... I have never dabbled in Marco photography before, so i am hoping some of the marco 'old birds' can recommend some basic accessories to get? thanks...

Blog Entries

Default Re: A Newbie at Marco Photography

why not just get a dedicated macro lens instead
    why add extra weight to your setup, think centre of gravity

then a good flash system or better still a dedicated macro flash
    sturdy tripod or better still add a macro focusing rail

i read up abit in CS forum, that a basic good macro set-up needs the following:

Macro Lens
    Tripod
    2 Flashes

perhaps u can find out more from the macro forum.
    http://www.akkuaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    hi, recently i just chanced upon a very interesting lens with a dedicated 1:1 marco extender... I have never dabbled in Marco photography before, so i am hoping some of the marco 'old birds' can recommend some basic accessories to get? thanks...
    I not an "old bird" btw..

Best to get a dedicated macro lens, followed by : -
    External Flash (and way to diffused it such that soft light (close to natural, ambient lignt) is achieved] - Inbuilt flash works too but give u limitations.
    Tripod with a gd ball head (minimise any chances of creeping)
    Cable release

that will be gd for a start
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

And when you do a search, make sure to spell it right, you'll get more results. We're not the Marco Polo explorer club.
    Alpha

ah i see... thanks a lot for the replies... i guess this lens is a old design thats why it was split into 2 pieces... I'm not really sure... maybe vivitar decided it was better... i think the lens goes to 1:2... have to read up the instruction manual for the more technical details... ...
    i'm so totally new at this... i tried using the 1:1 extender just now... really something new to what i am used to shooting... need to experiment with it a lot more...
    Last edited by Judas; 16th December 2009 at 08:04 PM.

which one is better to use between tripod n monopod..?? i feel that monopod is easier to carry n use...

i only have a tripod... so i support tripods... but i think a monopod is less stable and might not be that useful for marco shooting... i realized that one must really have a very stable base... i do not believe a monopod will be much use in that area...

i only have a tripod... so i support tripods... but i think a monopod is less stable and might not be that useful for marco shooting... i realized that one must really have a very stable base... i do not believe a monopod will be much use in that area...
    I mainly use a monopod for my macro purpose. But I do not shoot at full 1:1 magnification. And I use the monopod as an extra form of stabilization for my shooting which also involves AF.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

i got a question...if a macro lens focal distance is 90mm...and the insect is pretty small...do i need to move up closer to the insect?
    500D/50mm f1.4/90mm macro/17-55mm/EX580 II
    My flickr

Hi im not really in macro, it is challenging but fun. To start with you will need a dedicated macro lens for 1:1. Anything less then 1:_ it is only a close up lens. I saw people using a TC for 2:1 3:1 but for me I only tried 1.4:1.

Next a good tripod, not any tripod is good for macro. Dun get yourself wrong that a CF triod is the best out in the market and you get one to shoot macro. A good macro tripod a allow you to angle the column of your tripod. Research on Man's XPROB models.

Dedicated light, the easy and cheapest way out now is ring flash from third party, pop one and you are done.

Remote, you just need one for moving object. Stationary you can make use of timer.

D300/700/3S|14-24|24-70|70-200|17-55|16|14|24PC|28|50|85|105M|135DC|500|18-200|24-120|200-400|T11-16

Hi ya your camera have to move closer. Great that you get a 90mm not a 60 or the recent 85 from nikon =)

Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    i got a question...if a macro lens focal distance is 90mm...and the insect is pretty small...do i need to move up closer to the insect?
    D300/700/3S|14-24|24-70|70-200|17-55|16|14|24PC|28|50|85|105M|135DC|500|18-200|24-120|200-400|T11-16

Quote Originally Posted by DonnyDan View Post
    Hi im not really in macro, it is challenging but fun. To start with you will need a dedicated macro lens for 1:1. Anything less then 1:_ it is only a close up lens. I saw people using a TC for 2:1 3:1 but for me I only tried 1.4:1.

Next a good tripod, not any tripod is good for macro. Dun get yourself wrong that a CF triod is the best out in the market and you get one to shoot macro. A good macro tripod a allow you to angle the column of your tripod. Research on Man's XPROB models.

Dedicated light, the easy and cheapest way out now is ring flash from third party, pop one and you are done.

Remote, you just need one for moving object. Stationary you can make use of timer.
    alright... thanks a lot for you help...

Blog Entries

btw it is possible to shoot with just the pop up flash and without tripod/monopod

it just takes training

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    btw it is possible to shoot with just the pop up flash and without tripod/monopod

it just takes training
    Yes, seen and tried it in one of the night macro gatherings.

The on bourd flash is diffused with a cut plastic from milk bottles. Apparently, that made an external flash feel bulky. Perhaps also due to the fact of the distance, the onboard flash is enough to light up the subject.

Tripod and monopods may also burden macro photography at times.

Perhaps you might want to rent borrow or steal a macro lens and try the onboard flash diffuser method.

Cheers~
    Last edited by Snapperholic; 17th December 2009 at 04:49 PM.
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

Blog Entries

here is a sample of handheld and pop up flash macro

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=199617

here is a sample of handheld and pop up flash macro

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=199617
    ortega, i saw that you are using tamron 90mm to take those shoots...can i know how close are you to those insects??? and if too near wont the insects run away??
    500D/50mm f1.4/90mm macro/17-55mm/EX580 II
    My flickr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    ortega, i saw that you are using tamron 90mm to take those shoots...can i know how close are you to those insects??? and if too near wont the insects run away??
    actually no i am not using a t90
    my lens of choice is still the nikon 105mm micro

but i am now playing with the new nikon 85mm micro DX

i am around minimum focusing distance of the lens that i am using at that time
    (different lens have different minimum focusing distance)
    you can get close to the insects, it all depends on your approach to them
    sometimes the spiders will jump on my lens
    Last edited by ortega; 18th December 2009 at 10:27 AM.

actually no i am not using a t90
    my lens of choice is still the nikon 105mm micro

but i am now playing with the new nikon 85mm micro DX

i am around minimum focusing distance of the lens that i am using at that time
    (different lens have different minimum focusing distance)
    you can get close to the insects, it all depends on your approach to them
    sometimes the spiders will jump on my lens
    Hi Ortega,
    Do you think the VR on nikon 85mm micro is useful for taking macro? I just started macro photography and found it is quite tough to get the sharp photo. I tried using tripod but it was not easy to get closer to the subjects (bugs, etc..).
    "Seeing the light......."
    my flickr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by famosa View Post
    Hi Ortega,
    Do you think the VR on nikon 85mm micro is useful for taking macro? I just started macro photography and found it is quite tough to get the sharp photo. I tried using tripod but it was not easy to get closer to the subjects (bugs, etc..).
    i am still testing the VR on macro distances

when shooting really close up any movement (camera/subject) will be magnified as well
    normally i will use some form of extra support (pillar, bench, monopod ... ...)
    and a faster shutter speed to prevent camera shake and subject movement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast