Thread: Some Panning TIps...EVF System

Default Some Panning TIps...EVF System

Hi All.....

I juz wanna share some tips pertaining to using EVF based viewfinder cameras for panning shots....

Well....maybe you may have better techniques but here is my take based on my personal experience...

Well....for those using EVF based cams.....one way you can tryout for effective panning is to use the EVF + using the next "free" eye.

What i meant by this. Well.....mosr EVF viewfinders (on prosumers) tend to be aligned above the lens (only have y-axis shift for close distance).

Steps: (Note.....assuming photographers knows howto iterate through choosing the right shutter speeds accordingly to get the optimised panning results......)

1- So...while on framing of subject for panning....i basically started off with setting focus. This means that during the shot - my camera is actually in MANUAL FOCUS.

2-Prior to tracking the subject.....i estimate the flight path (birds or cars) where its gonna fly by focusing on a desired point of shot (from my point).
    I can frame maybe to a stone, a tree or any object - right below the flight path. Then leave the camera at that focus point.- Set the cam to manual focus.

3- Now you will only need to focus your concentration on tracking in frame.
    How do you do that? Well....you can do it by simply pointing the camera at the direction of where you expect the subject to come by (aiming eye is used here on the EVF...normally right eye)....

4- With the camera ready, aim the viewfinder to the "subject" and at the same time with the other free eye (left eye) open looking at the same point.
    SO its just creating a super impose image for bothe the eyes as if the camera is not there.

5- So when the subject comes....hold the camera steady to your face while keeping posture and eye contact to the EVF.....swing about your waist to track the subject. You will realise that with both eyes tracking its easier as its kind of a natural way we track subject.....both eyes in sync.....

6- This however takes time to perfect but....i personally feel that it helps....

Once you master the paning motion and understand you cams limitation like minor shutter lags and so on.....then you will start to get better pics....

So...do try out ...and feedback your experiments.....

Can try out on the coming Aerospace....

regards,
    me

Just a qn,
    Why pan a plane high up in the sky?

Default hahah....good question Areality...

Hmmm...

Why not.....you just want to have the plane in frame though.....

rgds,
    sulhan

Ain't higher shutter speed better?
    Since the sky same same.

Default hahaha...

Hiee...

Areality....great thought....

Well...the tracking method is the main technique here that may be of great help.....

Yes. The slow shutter may not be neccessary...but remember.....if you are tracking at high shutter...in terms of probablility....having the exposure too fast may result in lesser chance to get the fast subject in frame....

So anyway...... whatever one experiences.......case to case...but the tracking with both eyes method does work for me.....

rgds,
    me