Thread: A macro newbie

Default A macro newbie

Hi all,
    I'm very new to macro-shooting. A lot of the experienced shooters here working on flora/insects life, my subject of interest is more mundane - its miniatures - scale models and such.

I'm using a hoya x10 macro filter, no mcon I'm afraid.

With next to zero skills , all of the pics do not hv a good depth of field, for example a picture of a plane would end up ith only the nearest end in focus.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

cheers!
    Last edited by steely; 16th February 2004 at 01:54 PM.

A +10 macro filter is a little of an overkill. DOF will be extremely shallow too. A +4 or +2 will probably be more suitable.

Basic setup will be digicam mounted on a tripod. User timer/remote to trigger the shutter. Settings wise, stop down your aperture to at least f8 to achieve more DOF.

Thanks Azone , will try with your recc setting!

I tried with a 4 filter set from +1 to +4 - but at +4 - the max gain was only about 15-20%. When the filters are stacked to improve this, the image got pretty dark.
    Ended up returning the set and got a +10

Yups - using a tripod, shutter is by self timer - maybe I should get the remote?

Quote Originally Posted by steely
    Thanks Azone , will try with your recc setting!

I tried with a 4 filter set from +1 to +4 - but at +4 - the max gain was only about 15-20%. When the filters are stacked to improve this, the image got pretty dark.
    Ended up returning the set and got a +10

Yups - using a tripod, shutter is by self timer - maybe I should get the remote?
    A +4 should be quite capable of achieving good magnification. What cam u using? And how small are your subjects?

Usually there should not be any loss of light from using filters, so i dun understand why your image was dark.

Quote Originally Posted by azone
    A +4 should be quite capable of achieving good magnification. What cam u using? And how small are your subjects?

Usually there should not be any loss of light from using filters, so i dun understand why your image was dark.

I'm using an Oly C-3020

The smallest subjects are, for example; figures from 25mm to 52mm in height. Close up shots are mainly of heads/torsos, for the smallest figures that would be about 4mm/10mm.

Since all are done indoors, getting enuff light has been a real pain .....

Cheers!
    Last edited by steely; 16th February 2004 at 03:52 PM.

Question

I am not sure about this ... but for those using Macro filter, do you still set the camera to Macro mode?