Thread: help on 50mm lenses....please....

Default help on 50mm lenses....please....

hi guys!

just want to ask a few things....

im eying to buy a Nikkor 50mm lens. my camera is a Nikon D5000 with an 18-55mm VR. which of the following lenses would you recommend me to add on my collection?

AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

AF 50mm f/1.8D

AF 50mm f/1.4D

my reason of buying in 1 of these lenses is that i want to have good pictures in very low light conditions. i've seen samples of photos taken from one of these lenses and I'm amazed with their sharpness...but im wary for the cameras being used are that of Nikon D300. im afraid that it wont work on my Nikon D5000...

please help me on this guys....i would like to hear your experience on these lenses and share what you recommend....

thanks a lot!!! hope to hear from you!!!

....ohhh...one more thing...are they still available in the market today?
    Nikon D5000 AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

Default Re: help on 50mm lenses....please....

Quote Originally Posted by prehistorik View Post
    hi guys!

just want to ask a few things....

im eying to buy a Nikkor 50mm lens. my camera is a Nikon D5000 with an 18-55mm VR. which of the following lenses would you recommend me to add on my collection?

AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

AF 50mm f/1.8D

AF 50mm f/1.4D

my reason of buying in 1 of these lenses is that i want to have good pictures in very low light conditions. i've seen samples of photos taken from one of these lenses and I'm amazed with their sharpness...but im wary for the cameras being used are that of Nikon D300. im afraid that it wont work on my Nikon D5000...

please help me on this guys....i would like to hear your experience on these lenses and share what you recommend....

thanks a lot!!! hope to hear from you!!!

....ohhh...one more thing...are they still available in the market today?

hi

they will work on your D5000. The sensor size of D5000 and D300 is the same.

The F 1.4 will allow more light in, thus it is better than the F1.8 for low light, but of course it costs more...

those 2 lenses ended with D would work on d5000... but have to manual focus all the way for d5000, d3000, d40, d40x, and d60...

the G lens would work without any limitation...

Ever consider expanding you options?

For D5000, it's hard to go wrong with AFS 35mm f1.8
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Ever consider expanding you options?

For D5000, it's hard to go wrong with AFS 35mm f1.8
    wow...!!! this is great....love the sharpness of the photos....but how much would this cost these days and where to buy it at best???

Actually what are you planning to use this lens for?
    Product or Portraiture photography?

and I'm amazed with their sharpness...but im wary for the cameras being used are that of Nikon D300. im afraid that it wont work on my Nikon D5000...
    sharpness is overrated when your composition is not up to par

to be honest, no need to be impressed by sharpness, with proper sharpening in photoshop, you can produce good enough results with 18-55 vr

that aside, f/1.4 lenses will be sharper at larger apertures FASTER, in general, i.e. f/1.4 stopped down to f/2.0 will probably look better than f/1.8 stopped down to f/2.

TS.. im a newbie and got myself a 50mm f1.8 too.. like u.. what attracted me was the sharpness (and the cheap price.. haha).. but i can tell u that it's far too close up... go get a 35mm..

Quote Originally Posted by summrj View Post
    TS.. im a newbie and got myself a 50mm f1.8 too.. like u.. what attracted me was the sharpness (and the cheap price.. haha).. but i can tell u that it's far too close up... go get a 35mm..
    yes agree...it's because the 50mm was manufactured and intended to be used as a Normal lens for Full frames, the equivalent normal lens for cropped sensors is the 35mm..the 50mm will end up as a portrait lens for DX because as you said it's tight (75mm equivalent in full frames), you end up shooting pictures with 1 person only..so to TS, do you want a portrait lens? or a normal lens? normal prime lens are good walk about lens..

To bad you limit yourself to auto focus...I have excellent results with several of my older manual focus (read CHEAPER !!!) lenses on my D200's and D90...
    I enjoy using the Nikkor 28 f 2 ... several Nikkor 50 f1.4's (left over from film days) and for low light telephoto on DX I use a Nikkor 105 f1.8... Assuming your focussing screen is properly aligned most of the Auto Nikon Cameras will indicate focus even in manual mode...In low light cases I can generally focus faster than any auto lens anyway...In the Studio I never use auto. Just old habit...Any way good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    Actually what are you planning to use this lens for?
    Product or Portraiture photography?
    i would be more into portraiture....especially kids.....

Oh.. That's why you're more interested in the 50mm lenses rather than the 35mm as Numnumball mentioned.

Smile Re: help on 50mm lenses....please....

Hi. For the same reason. I also pick up the 50mm len today. But decide on the f14 instead of f1.8 as my friend recommended. It allow indoor shooting without flash yet still produce sharp picture.

I understand the price different between 1.8 and 1.4 is more than $300. But after seeing the pictures quality, even my friend who are using the 1.8 are now prepare to upgarde to 1.4.

bear in mind ur'e using on crop sensor body....50mm prime lens for whichever aperture might be too tight, but if ok with it i suggest the 1.4G
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

if u need AF, only the 1.4G, the 1.8D and 1.4D won't AF on your body.
    as for sharpness, based on MTF chart, they are all very comparable