Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Why not look at another brand?

The new Kx is :
    1. Small
    2. Affordable (~$950 with 18-55mm kit lens)
    3. Well featured
    4. Relatively cheap and good quality lenses (esp prime lenses). ~$520 for a 50/1.4

You could also consider Olympus (again very small) or even Sony. (Both well featured)
    Though I'm not sure of the prices for body and lenses.
    Can it take as good pictures in low light as the D5000 also for almost the same price?

My almost new setup with 18-105mm lens costs just about that!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Can it take as good pictures in low light as the D5000 also for almost the same price?

You should see the initial test results online. Some of the tests, the Kx seemingly outshone the 7D and D300.

Thing is, newer is better nowadays, with the technology moving so fast. The next gen of Nikon cameras will be better, and then the Canons, and then the Sonys, followed by Olympus, and then..... U know... it comes in waves... and it is a cycle.

I am a D90 user btw. I love it and still think it is a fantastic camera. I am just being neutral in my opinions. I bought into the system, not the particular camera body. And I have access to a lot of Nikon stuff already, makes more sense to stay in N. If I keep chasing the best body, I will be changing systems every 6 months. so you have to ask yourself, how much better can your photographs get with the better equipment...

In the end, we should just shoot more and make better pictures. Stick to what you have. Focus on photography. Pixel peeping and model chasing is another different hobby in itself
    Last edited by daredevil123; 16th December 2009 at 01:33 PM.

Blog Entries

To the TS,

The Tamron 17-50 is an awesome lens. It comes with 3 flavors, not all are still available.

1. Tamron 17-50/2.8 screw drive AF - very rare nowadays.
    2. Tamron 17-50/2.8 with BIM (built in motor) - used around $500-550. $550-570 new grey (1 yr shop warranty). $630 new local 3 yr warranty.
    3. Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC - $800+ new in malaysia (1 yr intl warranty). $950+ new local 3 yr warranty.

I use the BIM non-VC version myself. One other thing to remember is the filter thread for the VC version is now 72mm (vs the 67mm in the 2 older versions). Meaning the filters and CPL and all that jazz will be slightly more expensive.

I use the D90, and I use the 17-50/2.8 together with the 55-200VR and 50/1.8. In terms of background blur, the bokeh is definitely nicer with 50mm. The 17-50's bokeh is more of a "donut" quality, a little similar to the 50/1.8. The 50mm will allow you to achieve a much thinner DoF. There is no telling you which is better, as you have to gauge yourself which option will fit your needs better. In the future, I am aiming to get rid of the 50/1.8 and get the 50/1.4. I will be getting the AFD version instead. But this will only happen after I get my UWA. Being a very slow purchaser, it will probably take a couple of years to happen. Heh.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 16th December 2009 at 01:48 PM.

You come out this Sat for the Pentax gathering can see for yourself
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614166

some ISO comparisons here:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607559

I kid you not on the value for money aspects of Pentax.
    On body shake reduction, On body lens motor and comparable but cheaper lenses being additional advantages. So D5000 w/ 18-105 might be the same price, but not same value.
    All K mount lenses since ~30yrs back to present day are usable and catered. Exposure and focus confirmation for all these lenses are taken care of by the camera body. No such thing as needing a higher end body to work properly.

Hey! I'm serious about joining me for the shoot this Sat. Can SMS me if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer but I'll skip. Just started my move from the Dark Side and am happy with it. Maybe a misperception but I had this impression that Pentax had a lot of noise and the reason I started moving to the Dark Side from m4/3 systems was because of noise handling. Maybe I misinterpreted the reviews (get most of my data from dpreview).

Thanks for the offer but I'll skip. Just started my move from the Dark Side and am happy with it. Maybe a misperception but I had this impression that Pentax had a lot of noise and the reason I started moving to the Dark Side from m4/3 systems was because of noise handling. Maybe I misinterpreted the reviews (get most of my data from dpreview).
    You can go even if you use another brand.
    Certainly not trying to persuade you to go for Pentax. The D5000 is a very capable camera.
    I understand your reasons on the Pentax high ISO noise issue. Pentax's approach to noise handling has often been to apply very little in order to preserve details. DP review can be misleading especially if you look at the wordings and conclusions (it will highlight that Pentax NR is not good). Look at their test shots photos and it tells another story though. Very often, at high ISO, the competition is nothing but a smear compared to the nosier but detail retaining photos from a Pentax camera. A user can always choose the level of noise reduction later on in PP. There is no wrong or right, just a different approach (similar to how each camera manufacturer wants their out of camera colors to look).

Kx is a new beast though. Certainly a 'new is better' model which brings with it better NR while preserving details rather well. I think I've read that the Olympus PEN has very good NR as well, so it seems that this will come with the newer cameras.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    You can go even if you use another brand.
    Certainly not trying to persuade you to go for Pentax. The D5000 is a very capable camera.
    I understand your reasons on the Pentax high ISO noise issue. Pentax's approach to noise handling has often been to apply very little in order to preserve details. DP review can be misleading especially if you look at the wordings and conclusions (it will highlight that Pentax NR is not good). Look at their test shots photos and it tells another story though. Very often, at high ISO, the competition is nothing but a smear compared to the nosier but detail retaining photos from a Pentax camera. A user can always choose the level of noise reduction later on in PP. There is no wrong or right, just a different approach (similar to how each camera manufacturer wants their out of camera colors to look).

Kx is a new beast though. Certainly a 'new is better' model which brings with it better NR while preserving details rather well. I think I've read that the Olympus PEN has very good NR as well, so it seems that this will come with the newer cameras.
    Actually, it is just the brand's choice in applying the amount of NR. A lot of us do not even do NR in-camera, opting to do it in PP using other specialized software.

Yes, newer is indeed better in technology. I am impressed by the K-7 and now the K-x. But in the end, some of us stick to systems because we are more focused in getting the shots than chasing the next best thing. When it comes to a time when an upgrade or switch is the only way to get the shots we want, we will switch bodies (or systems). That said, I personally not do not think there is a best system out there because different systems appeal to different people and every system has some niche and will fit a certain segment in the market.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th December 2009 at 11:01 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12