Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

  1. #1

    Default What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    i lost my very precious Nikon D40 about a few months ago and i still feel very sad about it, but someone just told me she was willing to fund me for a new camera so after reading up and trying out Nikon D5000 & Canon 500D, i have decided to stick to the system im familiar with and get a Nikon D5000. what's more, i still have the 55-200mm VR lens.

    anyway i am thinking of getting a prime lens when i get my D5000 camera later this week. i was planning to use this prime lens for potrait shots, and preferably also one that has awesome "bokeh" effect. i was considering getting the AF-S 50mm f/1.4G (which has an in-built motor which i will need for auto focusing) but its kinda pricey at 800SGD++.

    when i went into one of the smaller shops in funan, this guy recommended that instead of getting the camera + kit lens and this AF-S 50mm lens, he said that i should just buy the camera body, and get this third party Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens which serves the purpose of BOTH the kit lens and the AF-S Nikkor lens i was considering.

    however im not very familiar with third party lens and i have only probably heard of Sigma + Hoyu. i will really appreciate any feedback you might have to give -- if that guy's advice is something i should really take in consideration.. or if i should get another prime lens.

    also, i know that some of you might recommend that i simply upgrade and get a d90, but im a female and its a tad too bulky and heavy for me to carry around. also, i think the d5000 specs suit me alright, i dont need too many lens(es), probably just a simple carry-about lens (which i was hoping the kit lens could fulfill) and a prime lens for indoor, close up shots and a zoom lens.

    thanks! (:
    Last edited by zefashionista; 15th December 2009 at 09:49 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    First of all, thank you for chosen D5000 instead of 500D.

    I think the kit 18-55 is still useful. As you already have 55-200. and if you have enough budget, 50 1.4 is a good choice. iF you are in limit budget, 35 1.8 DX is also a good one.

    So with these three lens:

    1. 18-55 --- 18 for landscape.
    2. 55-200 --- 200 for tele, 85 for outdoor portrait.
    3. 35 1.8 or 50 1.4 --- for indoor/outdoor low light condition.

    so basically you covered 90% of shooting condition.
    Bokelicious Photography : www.bokelicious.net --- Facebook.com/bokelicious

  3. #3

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    Tamron 17-50 tat he recommended was a gd lens... U might wan to consider getting 2nd hand frm tis forum, abt S$500~550.
    E-M5, GF-1 (20, 12-35, 35-100, 7.5)

  4. #4

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    Do a search for the tamron 17-50 on google. You'll see reviews for it. Note that the amount of out of focus blur will be limited to what f/2.8 can give you. As for the bokeh, which is the *quality* of the OOF areas, you should judge for yourself after reading reviews and seeing sample pics.

    Do note there's no such thing as the "bokeh effect".

    I've never actually heard of "Hoyu". I know "Hoya", but they make filters, not lenses.
    Alpha

  5. #5

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    Rashkae: oh dear yes i meant Hoya. and when i say "bokeh" effect, i meant depth of field. perhaps i phrased it wrongly, and i apologize.

    thanks for all your feedbacks. please keep them coming though!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Johor Bahru, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    his recommendation is well...right in a way.

    but do test the len before buying.

    best to bring a laptop with card reader so that u can view the pics for sharpness.

    3rd party lenses might hv common issue with back/front focusing, which can be corrected easily with a trip to the SC, but since u r buyin new, might as well test and save the trip
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

  7. #7
    Member Burnings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    Quote Originally Posted by bruno84sg View Post
    Tamron 17-50 tat he recommended was a gd lens... U might wan to consider getting 2nd hand frm tis forum, abt S$500~550.
    So what is the better lens now for 17-50mm?

  8. #8

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    Quote Originally Posted by Burnings View Post
    So what is the better lens now for 17-50mm?
    I think it's safe to say he meant "is".

    There's 2 versions for the Nikon platform as far as I know; one with VC and one without.
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    yes that's right. for sure i will be getting the one with VC if i should decide to just get the lens and camera body.

    however it doesnt really seem worth it.
    because the camera body is only about $61.40 less than getting the camera + kit lens.
    will it make any sense to get the kit lens, and this tamron lens?
    maybe i can sell off the kit lens...

    what about any sigma lens recommendations?
    Last edited by zefashionista; 15th December 2009 at 10:27 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    17-50mm f2.8 is a fast lens from Tamron, recommendation is a good one. But if you curious about how it work you can like me loan the lens and test it.
    D5000 & D90, you can feel the weight when u ask around the shop. Is up to u to choose.

  11. #11

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    Why not look at another brand?

    The new Kx is :
    1. Small
    2. Affordable (~$950 with 18-55mm kit lens)
    3. Well featured
    4. Relatively cheap and good quality lenses (esp prime lenses). ~$520 for a 50/1.4




    You could also consider Olympus (again very small) or even Sony. (Both well featured)
    Though I'm not sure of the prices for body and lenses.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    Quote Originally Posted by zefashionista View Post
    i lost my very precious Nikon D40 about a few months ago and i still feel very sad about it, but someone just told me she was willing to fund me for a new camera so after reading up and trying out Nikon D5000 & Canon 500D, i have decided to stick to the system im familiar with and get a Nikon D5000. what's more, i still have the 55-200mm VR lens.

    anyway i am thinking of getting a prime lens when i get my D5000 camera later this week. i was planning to use this prime lens for potrait shots, and preferably also one that has awesome "bokeh" effect. i was considering getting the AF-S 50mm f/1.4G (which has an in-built motor which i will need for auto focusing) but its kinda pricey at 800SGD++.

    when i went into one of the smaller shops in funan, this guy recommended that instead of getting the camera + kit lens and this AF-S 50mm lens, he said that i should just buy the camera body, and get this third party Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens which serves the purpose of BOTH the kit lens and the AF-S Nikkor lens i was considering.

    however im not very familiar with third party lens and i have only probably heard of Sigma + Hoyu. i will really appreciate any feedback you might have to give -- if that guy's advice is something i should really take in consideration.. or if i should get another prime lens.

    also, i know that some of you might recommend that i simply upgrade and get a d90, but im a female and its a tad too bulky and heavy for me to carry around. also, i think the d5000 specs suit me alright, i dont need too many lens(es), probably just a simple carry-about lens (which i was hoping the kit lens could fulfill) and a prime lens for indoor, close up shots and a zoom lens.

    thanks! (:
    Glad you stayed with the dark side.

    Actually i will recommend the same thing if will the salesman but nly if i m the one buying...

    So u need to ask urself, do u need the fast aperture to justify the switch from ur kit lens to 17-50, do note u need the VC version for AF, so meaning to say, it will cost almost the same as the AFS 50mmf1.4G.

    Tammy 17-50 f2.8 is a very good 3rd party lens, nice color constrast,sharp and fast, good price/value ratio (they often labelled it as the "poor man" AFS 17-55 mm f2.8) You should tried reading up online, abt reviews and feedbacks abt it..Quite positive so far.. It's lightweight..Why not give it a try and see how u feels?

    50mm f1.4G on ur d5000 will only restrict u to certain photography possibilites, as u factor in the crop which will give u a 75mm focal length. But it render pretty decent bokeh becos of its 9 blade diaphragm.

    But it's all up to u..much depends on what u r shooting and the style u r into.

    Just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps in ur lens decision making.
    Last edited by Numnumball; 15th December 2009 at 11:03 AM.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seletar Estate, Singapore
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    If you love the D40, consider a D3000. You will feel comfortable with the similar grip and size.

    Take a look at the Nikon 18-105mm VR kit lens.

    A D3000 and 18-105mm combination makes a good walkabout camera.

  14. #14

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    thank you for your recommendation but i am looking for something like a prime lens for potrait and indoor shots too (:
    have settled for the 35mm f/1.8G, and will keep the kit lens they provide with the d5000. might upgrade that kit lens another time....

  15. #15
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    welcome back to the dark side

    Just FYI i would go for the tamron 17-50 as well

  16. #16

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    welcome back to the dark side

    Just FYI i would go for the tamron 17-50 as well
    really? actually i might get that perhaps next yr, when i grow discontented with the kit lens, if ever. because i feel that its just not worth it getting the body alone and buying the tamron lens.. but thanks for your input! (:

  17. #17
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    Quote Originally Posted by zefashionista View Post
    really? actually i might get that perhaps next yr, when i grow discontented with the kit lens, if ever. because i feel that its just not worth it getting the body alone and buying the tamron lens.. but thanks for your input! (:
    with the 17-50 f2.8 VC, the 50mm prime become extra weight

    btw smilies are colon first then the bracket
    Last edited by ortega; 16th December 2009 at 10:15 AM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    with the 17-50 f2.8 VC, the 50mm prime become extra weight

    btw smilies are colon first then the bracket
    im not getting the 50mm prime already.
    also the 17-50 f/2.8 VC is exorbitant for now (900++SGD). way out of my budget...

    anyway i like to do my smiles like that.

  19. #19
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    then go with the kit lens, it is actually a real value for money lens

  20. #20

    Default Re: What lens should I get for my Nikon D5000?

    okie! (: thanks for your support and help in the decision-making process heh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •