Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon lens on Pentax KX K mount

Default Re: Nikon lens on Pentax KX K mount

i just did a check. D80 is 668g with batttery and k-x is 580g with battery. The nikon lenses you have are quite light weight. so if D80 is too heavy i guess k-x wont help much.

Try the GF1 and Pen see if you like it. Pen2 is only 355g...

To Ts, I held D80 b4, the grip is more solid 'feeling' than K-X. K-X's shutter sound is quite loud compare to D5000

For me, i dun mind the sound, it's fine with me. In fact i like it

1 more thing, k-x use AA batteries. It's good to me too, i can share it with my external flash

Quote Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
    i just did a check. D80 is 668g with batttery and k-x is 580g with battery. The nikon lenses you have are quite light weight. so if D80 is too heavy i guess k-x wont help much.

Try the GF1 and Pen see if you like it. Pen2 is only 355g...
    Thanks. Will check these for options. My health is transitional, and I am gaining my strength back slowly, so I am like now stuck between getting a new gear, and all this weight, and price issue. You know the ding dong. I have a lumix DMC FX55 I bot just to shot casual when I can't work with D80, but when comes to indoors, the noise is too much, so I use the lumix for the typical tourist I am there photo, but use a good camera for creativity and good shots for projects and serious design work I do. I will check the cameras you suggest as secondary gears, but still determined if the Pentax Kx is a good replacement for a D80.

Quote Originally Posted by vajrasattva View Post
    WOW! My Nikon kana beaten hands down man. This kind of result is like dream come through. Can never get this kind of detail on my Nikon.
    Technology is always advancing so definitely it will be better!

What's the best price of a pentax kx with kit in Singapore? Will start the process of enquiry this week. Can't go wrong with so many good reviews. Ebay selling USD$600 but got to pay for shipping and all that minus warranty. Can't wait to touch one at a shop tomorrow.
    Last edited by vajrasattva; 15th December 2009 at 01:23 AM.

Well, you can find adapters here: http://shop.ebay.com.sg/i.html?_nkw=...m42+-shoe+-645
    Of course, you will lose aperture control, autofocus, and possibly infinity focus depending on the adapter.
    On the bright side, you gain VR for your 18-135mm and the 10-24mm

Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    Well, you can find adapters here: http://shop.ebay.com.sg/i.html?_nkw=...m42+-shoe+-645
    Of course, you will lose aperture control, autofocus, and possibly infinity focus depending on the adapter.
    On the bright side, you gain VR for your 18-135mm and the 10-24mm
    I'll still buy the adapter for use with my tamron 10-24mm which is a damn good lens IMO, but autofocus is still a must for quick action snap away shots, which I will likely rely on the Pentax system of lens, and sell the rest of Nikon lens away here. The money I get back from selling the Nikon lens can still buy a cheaper Pentax lens so nothing is lost in turns of usage, only money lost in initial investment, which is OK considering that I am selling my D80 already, so money is also lost there.

Quote Originally Posted by beniz View Post
    To Ts, I held D80 b4, the grip is more solid 'feeling' than K-X. K-X's shutter sound is quite loud compare to D5000

For me, i dun mind the sound, it's fine with me. In fact i like it

1 more thing, k-x use AA batteries. It's good to me too, i can share it with my external flash
    AA batteries is a good thing. Understand the AAs litium last long time right? You use rechargeable batteries?

You're going to have trouble getting rid of the 18-135mm, 2nd hand market is oversaturated with those and no one wants them. 55-200mm should be no problem.

Got some health issue after surgery on my lung, and right shoulder injury, so all this adds up stress to my body. frankly, I don't even know how light is light since I have never touched a Pentax Kx, but its the lightest in its class, and I suppose this is workable for me.
    If you want light with dslr capabilities... should look at some of the micro 4/3 but again lens will be a problem. Sorry to hear about your health issue but I'm puzzled by your choice. I quite certain that kx power is based on it's onboard "image processing" engine. While it's a very nifty camera but the body doesn't suit everybody. I'm one of them and while chatting with some Pentaxians last sat - not for another prominent member too. His hands are BIG

My thoughts - switching systems is difficult, so consider carefully. Especially when you got the whole range covered from 10 - 200. Easy way is to go to a shop and handle the kx. That will be the major deciding factor and some may find the mirror slap and AF sound distracting.

Adapting lenses to other cameras should be last especially with Nikon lenses - there might be inability to focus to infinity problems. Unless you're playing with M42 lenses, even then a Nikon body isn't good for adapting to other lenses.

And not to slight your pro photog friend but the ultimate decision lies with you. Not on their opinions.
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by sebianos View Post
    If you want light with dslr capabilities... should look at some of the micro 4/3 but again lens will be a problem. Sorry to hear about your health issue but I'm puzzled by your choice. I quite certain that kx power is based on it's onboard "image processing" engine. While it's a very nifty camera but the body doesn't suit everybody. I'm one of them and while chatting with some Pentaxians last sat - not for another prominent member too. His hands are BIG

My thoughts - switching systems is difficult, so consider carefully. Especially when you got the whole range covered from 10 - 200. Easy way is to go to a shop and handle the kx.
    Thanks. I got big hands(I am 6 feet tall). I will try out the Kx at the camera shops later. I know it is not easy to switch system, as I am used to my Nikon. While D90 is the path to go, its price is beyond my present budget, and I am told about this Pentax Kx, made a price and performance review comparison, but find its superior. So my thoughts are looking at Pentax as the first upgrade route. Its painful, because I just learn from the forummers here that my lens don't work with the Pentax K mount, and that's one big decision. But after checking out Pentax KX, Nikon D5000 does not look attractive to me at all. And I don't have the budget for a D90. Not much option left.

in that case, welcome to the rebellion
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    You're going to have trouble getting rid of the 18-135mm, 2nd hand market is oversaturated with those and no one wants them. 55-200mm should be no problem.
    Maybe have to sell at super low price. No choice.

Thanks. I got big hands(I am 6 feet tall). I will try out the Kx at the camera shops later. I know it is not easy to switch system, as I am used to my Nikon.
    Same here. The K-7 and K-x are too small for me and leave my little finger dangling. Thank goodness for that since it saved me from the upgrading path.

I last handled the D70 2 years back, but thinking back, acclimatizing myself with the K10D wasn't much of a problem. In fact, the Pentax was much more straight forward control/interface-wise.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

Well... if you're over 6 feet tall. Kx is too tiny for you. And if you don't mind 2nd hand cameras - you should look closely at K10d and K20d. They are masculine, manly machines. Can use it to hammer nails, and discipline naughty ppl. Hahahaha...

But seriously, the K20d is a good buy - if you're considering switching system. About 650-750, 2nd hand price.

Won't recommend the K10D because of some tilt viewfinder issue - which are the "quirks" that Baracus mentioned before and that i've come to accept.

Anyways, if you can bear with it and your health is getting better.... there's no real "urgent" need to switch systems. D80 - No problem for a big guy like you Just go shoot more photos and enjoy the process.
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12