Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Nikons CLS

  1. #1

    Default Nikons CLS

    Hey Guys i got myself 2 sb 600s
    and using my in build flash as a command flash.

    The thing is i wanted to use the sb 600 as a command fash and it turns out to be not working is there any suggestions to solve the problem ?

    Thanks in Advance =)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    the sb600 cannot be used as a commander flash.

    there are other options available depending on your requirements.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    oh could you give me some example ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeWithoutCrutches View Post
    oh could you give me some example ?
    Buy an Sb800/sb900.
    Buy an SU800 commander

    What's wrong with using both Sb600's remotely, anyway?
    Exploring! :)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeWithoutCrutches View Post
    oh could you give me some example ?
    sticking with CLS, u only have a few options. SB800/900 or SU800.

    if u can live with using manual mode, u can use radio triggers. alot of brands available.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    As mentioned by flipfreak, SB600's cannot be used as commander, and as suggested by ZerocoolAstra, those are what you can get if you need a more powerful commander. But do you? Unless you shoot outdoors CLS alot, I find the built-in commander on my D300 to be sufficient for indoor CLS use most of the time.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    u need sb900.....
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    if your camera built in flash can be used as commander then use it..I use the D80 and it has this function, dont see why it shouldnt at higher end models.
    u can select the built in flash to be in commander mode, with output (TTL or Manual) or without flash output (--). if u select off,
    that means the built in flash fire out some preflashes ( too fast to detect with naked eye), for use as command signal to the off camera SB600s. this light from the built in flash is moments before the shutter opens, if i understand correctly, so it is not entered into the CCD.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    Hey sojourn88 thank you i shall go and try it out tonight reason for this post was because i can not stand the flatness of the
    in built flash....

    and i'm also thinking if i should go into strobist via radio flash

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    sure.. u try it and lets see how.. i use it often with 1 sb600 off-camera. works pretty well.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeWithoutCrutches View Post
    Hey sojourn88 thank you i shall go and try it out tonight reason for this post was because i can not stand the flatness of the
    in built flash....

    and i'm also thinking if i should go into strobist via radio flash
    try out CLS first. if the distance and angle is a pain for u, then try radio.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    Hey flipfreak Thank you for the suggestion i can't wait to try it out =) although i'm really thinking twice about getting a radio triggers as the range for the cls is a bit short=)

  13. #13

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeWithoutCrutches View Post
    Hey flipfreak Thank you for the suggestion i can't wait to try it out =) although i'm really thinking twice about getting a radio triggers as the range for the cls is a bit short=)
    If you can afford the cash and the wait, there are the new E-TTL/i-TTL enabled Pocket Wizard radio triggers that combine the best of both worlds..

  14. #14

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    If you can afford the cash and the wait, there are the new E-TTL/i-TTL enabled Pocket Wizard radio triggers that combine the best of both worlds..
    u mean they are still not out yet? i thought they were going to be launched.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    u mean they are still not out yet? i thought they were going to be launched.
    erm, think the Nikon ver. isn't out yet in Sg I believe..

  16. #16

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    try out CLS first. if the distance and angle is a pain for u, then try radio.
    OT: hi flipfreak, i'd like to know if CLS works only on TTL, Aperture Priority, Slow or Slow Rear Shutter mode.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    erm, think the Nikon ver. isn't out yet in Sg I believe..
    ic ic. thats abit slow.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Nikons CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by vocalmind View Post
    OT: hi flipfreak, i'd like to know if CLS works only on TTL, Aperture Priority, Slow or Slow Rear Shutter mode.
    i am not very familiar with the nikon CLS but the canon one works on ETTL and Manual mode.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •