Thread: How to take group photo in a living room with not very strong lights

Default How to take group photo in a living room with not very strong lights

Hi guys,

I am a newbie in photography and I bought a 450D some time earlier this year.
    I tried taking a group photo of probably about 20 to 30 people, but the photo doesn't turn out to be quite clear, as in the camera only focuses on a couple of faces and the rest are rather not very clear. Is there any way to make use of all the 9 focus point or it is actually not possible?

Thanks to advise.

Default Re: How to take group photo in a living room with not very strong lights

if u are looking for settings, use f8 and flash.
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

Default Re: How to take group photo in a living room with not very strong lights

Quote Originally Posted by blueblue07 View Post
    Hi guys,

I tried taking a group photo of probably about 20 to 30 people, but the photo doesn't turn out to be quite clear, as in the camera only focuses on a couple of faces and the rest are rather not very clear. Is there any way to make use of all the 9 focus point or it is actually not possible?

Thanks to advise.
    read up on DOF in the tutorials page under newbies.
    Nikon.
    Nuff said.

Hi guys,

Thanks to advise.
    if you have tripod, set camera on tripod, set at AV, ISO 400, f8 ask everyone to hold very still for few seconds.

if you have hotshoe flash, ceiling bounce the flash, use ISO 400, f8.

the most important thing about taking group photos is arrangement of the group, pack them closely you can get everybody in focus without wasting too much flash power.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hi guys,

Thanks to advise.
    I usually tackle problems using the most obvious methods...if the room not enough light either shift the people to another location with enough light or bring your own lights.

when i say bring your own lights, can be anything from using those street works work light or an array of heavy duty torchlights.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.