Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Dry Cabinet queries - strange meter reading

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    a.little.red.dot
    Posts
    208

    Question Dry Cabinet queries - strange meter reading

    Trying to search the forum, but I can't find any answer.

    I just bought Akarui 68L dry cabinet last week. Has been monitoring the humidity level. I set the switch to M (if humidity reach 60% it will turn on by itself).

    So far the meter is around 48%. I bought Digital Hygrometer to conform this, the analog that come with the cabinet is a bit off (around 10% lesser). I believe the digital hygrometer give a correct reading.

    Logically everytime I open the cabinet the humidity should rise. But for my case everytime I open the door, the meter arise 2%-4% (this is normal ). After I closed the cabinet door, it will slowly go down to 48% (this is strange ). The LED is not on. I tried before cutting off the power to the cabinet and do the same thing as above, strangely after I closed the door the humidity will go down by itself. The dehumidifier is not broken, because I change the switch to 'ON' and the LED will turn on.

    Inside the box there are camera, lenses, negative, photos. Is this consider as normal? Is it possible that any of my eqp or maybe my negative act as 'silica gel'?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanoman
    Trying to search the forum, but I can't find any answer.

    I just bought Akarui 68L dry cabinet last week. Has been monitoring the humidity level. I set the switch to M (if humidity reach 60% it will turn on by itself).

    So far the meter is around 48%. I bought Digital Hygrometer to conform this, the analog that come with the cabinet is a bit off (around 10% lesser). I believe the digital hygrometer give a correct reading.

    Logically everytime I open the cabinet the humidity should rise. But for my case everytime I open the door, the meter arise 2%-4% (this is normal ). After I closed the cabinet door, it will slowly go down to 48% (this is strange ). The LED is not on. I tried before cutting off the power to the cabinet and do the same thing as above, strangely after I closed the door the humidity will go down by itself. The dehumidifier is not broken, because I change the switch to 'ON' and the LED will turn on.

    Inside the box there are camera, lenses, negative, photos. Is this consider as normal? Is it possible that any of my eqp or maybe my negative act as 'silica gel'?

    Thanks in advance

    The hygrometer is on the door, so when you open, it measures the ambient humidity, when you close it, it measures the internal humidity.

    All is fine.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanoman
    I just bought Akarui 68L dry cabinet last week. Has been monitoring the humidity level. I set the switch to M (if humidity reach 60% it will turn on by itself).
    You can never be sure that by turning the dial to M will give u a 60% reading. Don't trust the dial too much. It's all about trial and error. From what u've described, I find your box is perfectly normal.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    a.little.red.dot
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Thanks HelmetBox and Barrios for answering my doubts.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bukit panjang
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanoman
    Thanks HelmetBox and Barrios for answering my doubts.
    hi by the way can i know how much u bought ur dry cabinet and where u got it???thanx!!!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roosevelt
    hi by the way can i know how much u bought ur dry cabinet and where u got it???thanx!!!
    Akarui is carried by Cathay Photo. Kinda expensive brand.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    a.little.red.dot
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Yep I got it from CP, they got some promotion on Akarui and one jap brand. I got a dry box as a gift also. Anyone want to buy the dry box, I dont use it.

    Price range for Akarui is $150 - $700 (diff size)

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bukit panjang
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanoman
    Yep I got it from CP, they got some promotion on Akarui and one jap brand. I got a dry box as a gift also. Anyone want to buy the dry box, I dont use it.

    Price range for Akarui is $150 - $700 (diff size)
    thanx man.....does the brand realli mean anything???good brand better quanlity???hahaa...>>??care to tell me more??

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    a.little.red.dot
    Posts
    208

    Default

    hohoho, search the forum and you will see those bad brand and good brand. Many info you will find there, search word "dry box" or "dry cabinet"

    happy searching

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roosevelt
    thanx man.....does the brand realli mean anything???good brand better quanlity???hahaa...>>??care to tell me more??
    Imported products usually cost higher than the local ones; sometimes almost double the price for the same capacity. Some locally produced dry cabinets are really not bad at all, offering 5 years warranty and spare parts are readily available.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •