Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Asian Aerospace 2004

Quote Originally Posted by skyflash
    I suspect that they may just ask the photographers to keep their camera in their pouch/bag. There are probably many gurkhas around with MP5, so a stern look from them is sufficient as reminder to no-photography rules.

That why I am hestiating to visit on the first day. Let them iron out the procedures first. I will be going on wednesday instead.

Heard that there is a photo contest of some sort. anyone with information?
    In the last aerospace exhibition, i took alot of pics in the static area, no one stop me not even the gurkhas guarding those US planes, i wonder why the no photography rule this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    As mentioned... 10D with a EF 100-400L. (no hood )
    how much did u resize your pic? or 100% crop?

wonder if my 200mm is enough...may be should grab a 2x TC just in case....

Quote Originally Posted by kenghor
    Anyone has any previous experience shooting the air show?
    What kind of focal lenght is suitable to capture the aerial display?

I'm also wondering, whether to lug my 50-500 sigma beast or just a 80-200 lens. only concern to me is weight if i take long lens which i think a tripod maybe a necessity. I'm using a DSLR with a 1.5X teleconverter effect so my 80-200 should become 120-300, anyone think 300 is good enuf?

Quote Originally Posted by teowws
    I'm also wondering, whether to lug my 50-500 sigma beast or just a 80-200 lens. only concern to me is weight if i take long lens which i think a tripod maybe a necessity. I'm using a DSLR with a 1.5X teleconverter effect so my 80-200 should become 120-300, anyone think 300 is good enuf?
    You can check out pbase. Search <airshow> and you'll see quite a number of pictures. Check out the EXIF data to see what was used. From the looks of it, you need between 200-400mm to fill the frame. Can probably stop action between 1/500 to 1/1000s. Don't think it's possible to shoot fast moving/maneuvering jets from a tripod though. Time to get that IS lens .

Cheers,

So wait... is it still possible to take pictures?
    Don't want to bring my camera for nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG
    So wait... is it still possible to take pictures?
    Don't want to bring my camera for nothing...
    why not? since there are photo competition....

Default Photography is OK in static display except WCA

Hi Guys,
    have just gotten a reply from PR person at Reed Expo. To quote, "No photos at WCA, rest is cool." . Mind you, I think this info is accurate, but I'm not liable if some Gurkha sticks a semi-auto into your ribs as you are snapping away .

Cheers,

I was just thinking about hoow to shoot the aerial disaply, and it seems logical to me that i would propably need to spot meter the flying planes against the bright blue sky. But i fear that the action would be too fast for me to even spot anything. Any suggestions for accurate exposure?

Al

The planes are quite dark coloured so if spot meter on them the sky will be white le.. how abt spot meter on the planes then minus exposure comp by 1 or 1.5 stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Jer76
    The planes are quite dark coloured so if spot meter on them the sky will be white le.. how abt spot meter on the planes then minus exposure comp by 1 or 1.5 stop?
    Seems to me like a good idea. However will the plane be too dark? Will using a polarizer help?

This one was on a nice and bright day and the sun was hitting the fuslage just right. f/11 1/500, spot metered in the center of the airplane. It's going to be a challenge to shoot the faster maneuvers but what the heck, give it a try, you can work on your mistakes in 2 years when AA '06 comes around.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/509667/L/

I stays in punggol and now i see lots of plane flying so near to my block

may be tomolo will wake up earlier to practise shooting

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Hi Guys,
    have just gotten a reply from PR person at Reed Expo. To quote, "No photos at WCA, rest is cool." . Mind you, I think this info is accurate, but I'm not liable if some Gurkha sticks a semi-auto into your ribs as you are snapping away .

Cheers,
    Har...isn't those static aircrafts in WCA?

Precisely. Any idea what is under the WCA

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    Precisely. Any idea what is under the WCA
    There are two display areas, the static aircraft display area, which is open air, for smaller craft, and the WCA (west cargo apron, I think) for a few big jets and assorted small craft. Check out the AA website for details, its all there .

Cheers,

can i know wat's the dress code for the trade show days?

I think i know what they meant by the WCA area, i think its at the runway where we need to take a shuttle bus to go in just like the last AA. The WCA area where the B1B and the C17A Global Master are park are all a camera no no area this year, strangely i took alot of pics at the last AA (not press holder) at the WCA, no rib poking gurkhas then

This link or rather map below are all camera friendly area

http://www.asianaerospace.com/pdf/si...n_20040205.pdf

To know where the B1B and C17A are park and an idea what other planes is in the WCA, look at the area in the top-right corner.

http://www.asianaerospace.com/ap_static_main.html

Hope this helps!

Smile

Hi all,
    Just came back from the flying display. The show is not bad, I like the aerobatic flying. The best place for you to see the show is at the left side of SAF ferry terminal, when you are facing it.

Be there slightly early if you are taking bus as the road leading to changi village will be jam due to security screening.

Drink lots of water as it is really hot.

The planes are in accordance to the link below

http://www.asianaerospace.com/ap_flying.asp

Happy shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by eddietkm
    Hi all,
    Just came back from the flying display. The show is not bad, I like the aerobatic flying. The best place for you to see the show is at the left side of SAF ferry terminal, when you are facing it.

Be there slightly early if you are taking bus as the road leading to changi village will be jam due to security screening.

Drink lots of water as it is really hot.

The planes are in accordance to the link below

http://www.asianaerospace.com/ap_flying.asp

Happy shooting.
    Hi Eddie,
    glad you had a good time. Did you drop off in Changi Village and walk? Security folk didn't give you any trouble for standing at the terminal?

TIA and Regards,

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Hi Eddie,
    glad you had a good time. Did you drop off in Changi Village and walk? Security folk didn't give you any trouble for standing at the terminal?

TIA and Regards,
    Nope but I think I will walk to changi village on sat after the show. 2 years ago, I walk to the village after visiting the exhibition as the crowd at the bus stop was huge.

Oh yes, I think for those who want to know which type of lens is appropriate, I was using a 75-300mm zoom with a 2x extension. I think 400mm onwards will be best. Well, I will know the results tomorrow, after the films are developed.

Oh yes watch out for the gurkhas with their MP5 and dagger, very garang.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast