Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hyundai Cars

I used to have an Accent 1.5A, sold it and now drive a Corolla. So I can tell you confidently that the build quality of the Accent leaves much to be desired in comparison. You get what you pay for - really. In the 3 years I owned my Accent, I had numerous problems with the car:
    - cheap components, rattling door, poor in-car audio system
    - spoilt auto-windows (the pulley system in my driver side window kenah disengaged, cannot wind down)
    - leaking air con gas leading discovery to air-con radiator failure
    - battery died on me 2 times, luckily I am an AA member
    - carbon chokage in the exhaust system, engine rpm cannot go up
    - as someone mentioned, LOW resale value. Depreciation rate for korean cars is crazy.

But there are good things going for the Accent (and likely the rest of Hyundai cars):
    - cheaper servicing packages
    - great service from Komoco
    - good handling
    - modestly good petrol mileage
    - one word: Affordability

That said, I finally decided to switch to Corolla last year after forking out a substantial part of my savings. The Accent on the resale market is close to trash price. The depreciation per year was ridiculous. I bought it at 73k and had no choice but to sell it at 43k. That's 10k depreciation per year. And the loan repayment amount every month was not much less than what I would pay for a Corolla.

Anyway I will not rave about the good things about Corolla since it's OT from the thread topic, but I have a much better drive experience than before. And although servicing costs much more than Hyundai, I have had far less problems with the car.

Hope my experience is helpful in your decision.
    sfhuang
    Last edited by sfhuang; 14th February 2004 at 12:02 PM.

Give Huyndai some credit for its engineering improvements.
    If you are looking at track records, hyundai doesn't have much to show.
    If you need to compare cars, look at the current models and not some 3-4yr old model. It is only from the yr 2000 model of the Sonata that hyundai cars started to make a marked noticable difference due to their R&D efforts (note that 2000 model of Sonata also has problems). The second model of cars that is released with the R&D effort is the Matrix in yr 2001. Yr 2002 Sonata improved on the earlier model.
    Actually Getz is pretty decent, except that maybe hyundai saved some cost on sound proofing the wheel well area. At the same time Hankook stock tyres are also not that silent.

I'm driving the 1998 Accent 1.5A.

My fuel consumption leaves much to be desired on urban roads but on expressways, it is really good. Perhaps it has done 110,000 km and the auto transmission needs to be replaced.

My tires wear out damn fast also...dunno why..

However I have suffered no breakdowns or whatsoever (dead battery no count lar).

I believe that regular servicing will do much good to the vehcile. I have friends who drive all other brands and only service once a year and of course they face a lot of problems and they blame the poor vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweek
    The reason why I bought it is of course the low price compared to other cars.
    And i do wonder why this is the case? As in why it is cheaper than other cars?
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Hmm....

Here's my take..

Go to the showroom, and test drive the Hyundai Matrix and see how you personally feel about it. But dont just stop there, do check out the rest of the competitors too, most notably the Toyota Vios and the Honda City, both in the same price bracket. Although its good to get some advise, but advise is some what subjective, sometimes even confusing.

I've driven the Matrix and the Vios, and here's my personal view. The Matrix is a very spacious car for its size, but it is let down by a poor chassis. Handling is duff, ride is harsh. Refinement is surprisingly decent. If you are in for spirited driving, then you wont like the Matrix. The Vios has a perky engine, and coupled with its sub 1 ton frame, its pretty quick, especially in manual. But i suggest the auto, because the manual box is vague. It does a sub 10s sprint to a 100kph( corolla, sunny, lancer, impreza all smell smoke). Chassis seems better than the matrix, though ride can be a tad bit stiff, but handling is alot better.

Dont believe me completely, go try ! If I it were me, I'll get the Vios. But each to his own. You may just need the space of the Matrix more.

Honda has new model for City now is fitted with the 1.5l VTEC engine but price is very steep about 68k with ABS/SRS or i-DSI Engine 1.5l tagged at 64k (No ABS/SRS). Vios 66k is better equipped but center console need sometime to get used to it. Both City and Vios expect 3-4 month waiting list (depend on colour chosen), Matrix has shorter waiting time among all.
    W204FL

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang
    And i do wonder why this is the case? As in why it is cheaper than other cars?
    you're asking why korean cars are cheaper comparing to japanese ones?
    well, there are some reasons

1. Old technology. they dun invest as much on R&D as japanese. hence, their engine usually lacks by a few generation.
    2. steel industry in korea provides all the "raw materials" that the car industry needs. ie, u notice korean cars are usually heavy. tht's because its almost made up of all steel...haha. upside to this, any accident wif a honda will leave you impressed with the strength of your car
    3. lower cost of production compared to japan (exception is thailand) but korea more than made up for it as the cost of transfer production to thailand by japanese makers is still quite high.
    4. marketing budget is also lower

in summary, the strategy by korean makers is vastly different from the japanese counterparts. In USA, it is well-known tht hyundai's only strategy is to slap a super-low price tag on the car and a super-long warenty period. its why hunydai is rated as tops in USA... haha

I drive a Hyundai coupe, like the look and the style, power is ok for a sportscar. Petrol consumption is high. Yes I agree the Komoco service is very good, much better (and cheaper) and other car workshops/mechanics.

I have seen some people complain about the Matrix, but then I have also seen a brand new BMW with the roof came off! So buying a car is not just a investment, it is also a gamble.

Well, thanks for all the kind advise. Will try to head down for a test drive one of these days...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Just for the fun of discussions yar?
    Actually, Hyundai coupe looks nice and have style appeal. However, it is too heavy and under-powered for a sports car. Power is ok for the 2.7L version.

But yar, Matrix is a very good buy. Very spacious (u can hold 4 adults in the back seat) and it hv lots of interesting little thingies here and there in the car which makes you feel that hyundai did put in considerable effort in customer satisfaction. Very good value for money car!

Hi there,

Think the bottomline to buying a car is still the ride, the handling and the most impt of all safety......
    To me when I buy a car the first is to test out the brakes ..if the brakes are good meaning responsive affective and dun not skii on wet rds then the car is pretty much my choice......

hope this help

Quote Originally Posted by yoyo
    Hi there,

Think the bottomline to buying a car is still the ride, the handling and the most impt of all safety......
    To me when I buy a car the first is to test out the brakes ..if the brakes are good meaning responsive affective and dun not skii on wet rds then the car is pretty much my choice......

hope this help
    Whether or not a car skids during wet weather does not just depend on the brakes. Rather it depends on whether you have good tyres or not. Some tyres are made especially for wet weather. Also helps if you have ABS.

Actually things like brakes, gearbox, fuel tank etc these are critical parts for the cars so most would be in tiptop conditions when new.
    On the other hands, things like rooftop, horn, leather seat etc these are non critical parts and most car buyers overlook these small items.

hv to be more specific abt wet roads & tyre choice. the "thicker" your tyre, the more likely u'll skid on wet roads. hence, say if u like the look of a thick 17" tyre, its very likely you'll skid on wet roads compared to if u continue to use your original 14" tyre (though it looks ugly).

of coz u can choose "stickier" tyres and those made for wet weathers. however, they wear out much faster and thus hv to cost u to change it regularly.

skid or not, rarely is brake the major factor on wet roads

Skidding or not is purely depending on driver's ability to control the vehicle and know its limitation.
    W204FL

Quote Originally Posted by Shadus
    hv to be more specific abt wet roads & tyre choice. the "thicker" your tyre, the more likely u'll skid on wet roads. hence, say if u like the look of a thick 17" tyre, its very likely you'll skid on wet roads compared to if u continue to use your original 14" tyre (though it looks ugly).
    Can you please explain what you mean? 17" and 14" refers to the rim size. What's that got to do with the thickness of the tyre?

haha, refer to wrong thing.... i meant width of tire and not thickness or rim size...
    Last edited by Shadus; 17th February 2004 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    Whether or not a car skids during wet weather does not just depend on the brakes. Rather it depends on whether you have good tyres or not. Some tyres are made especially for wet weather. Also helps if you have ABS.
    Yup agree...... But then If the braking sys of the car is not to it standard then irregardless of wattyres one use also no use rite? =)

I think when on is testing the braking sys of the car one shld compare it with the regular tyres and not on those preforming tyre.....

And it will greatly dep on how many pots does one car braking sys have

4 pot front and 2 pot rear .. one of the good combination

2 ; 1 not too bad ...

2 and drum will bear minimum

As for ABS........... Well dep on the make as well and dep on how pulse per sec the ABS sys hv ....
    the more pulse per sec the better......

And ABS well activate when braking is apply on uneven surface.... esp on Wet rds....

=)
    Last edited by yoyo; 17th February 2004 at 06:12 PM.

Actually I had a horrible incidence of skiding, then I went to find out why skid, this is my personal opinion/theory.

In normal days, all cars run on roads will deposit a very thin film of oil, probably due to the fiction between tyre and road surface. When it starts to rain, this very thin film of oil floats on top of the little water droplets, so when a unlucky tyre runs on this oil film, it will lose the grip and the car will skid or spin. After the rain continues for another few minutes, the heavy water will push the oil film to both sides of the roads (drainage), so there will be less chance of skid or spin.

So the most dangerous time of driving is the first 5 minutes of rain. I always keep this in mind nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Actually I had a horrible incidence of skiding, then I went to find out why skid, this is my personal opinion/theory.

In normal days, all cars run on roads will deposit a very thin film of oil, probably due to the fiction between tyre and road surface. When it starts to rain, this very thin film of oil floats on top of the little water droplets, so when a unlucky tyre runs on this oil film, it will lose the grip and the car will skid or spin. After the rain continues for another few minutes, the heavy water will push the oil film to both sides of the roads (drainage), so there will be less chance of skid or spin.

So the most dangerous time of driving is the first 5 minutes of rain. I always keep this in mind nowadays.
    Sorry ah, but where did the oil come from your tires?.... How does friction between tyres and road produce oil?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12