Thread: Powerbook G4550 help

Default Powerbook G4550 help

Hi, saw a PowerbookG4550 in cash convt today, thinking of trade in with my Compaq P4 1.3 notebook...
    the powerbookg4550 is selling about $1400...
    any advices for this trade?
    i am using IBMt23 now and the Compaq is my 2nd notebook...
    my purpose for this trade is to use apple in photoshop7 for touch-up.
    dunno how to make dicision....

Default powerbook 550

I own one of them. Not bad of a working machine....But... Apple parts are damn expensive. Friend of mine have problem with the logic board and it cost him arnd $800 to replace. The slot loading combo drive also spoil easily. $500+ if need replacement. Phew... Is best if you purchase it if the apple waranty is still valid but I doubt it is still valid. Expensive machine to own and maintain. Rather get a new one. ibook 12'' g4 is not bad. Arnd below $2100 you can get an even faster machine with usb 2.0. Only that the screen is smaller lah. Just my 2 cent opinion...

For $1400 you can probably find a used ibook G3/800 with the works... good enough to edit digital photos. No major complaints. The new ibooks G4 are good value too I feel. You could try selling the Compaq on the resale market and see how it goes.

I'm not sure how the Compaq P4 1.3 performs for you...

Quote Originally Posted by rolzink
    I own one of them. Not bad of a working machine....But... Apple parts are damn expensive. Friend of mine have problem with the logic board and it cost him arnd $800 to replace. The slot loading combo drive also spoil easily. $500+ if need replacement. Phew... Is best if you purchase it if the apple waranty is still valid but I doubt it is still valid. Expensive machine to own and maintain. Rather get a new one. ibook 12'' g4 is not bad. Arnd below $2100 you can get an even faster machine with usb 2.0. Only that the screen is smaller lah. Just my 2 cent opinion...
    Thx mate...
    can it be dedicate as photoshop7 work station?? any ways to enhance the performance ? i am a Xp user not yet an apple :P

I think it's the same story... throw lots of RAM at it besides hard disk and processor consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by igpenguin
    For $1400 you can probably find a used ibook G3/800 with the works... good enough to edit digital photos. No major complaints. The new ibooks G4 are good value too I feel. You could try selling the Compaq on the resale market and see how it goes.

compaq p4 1.3 notebook works fine. but as a serious photoguy, izzit better to use Mac (becos of the accuracy of the color management?)

Default get a new one

Rather you save the money to further enhance the used powerbook to a new 12 ibook. small, handy and faster than the pb550. speed wise get another 256ram (arnd $90) or 512ram (arnd $240) wil do. If you need a larger screen for better editing just hook on to your pc monitor, if its 17" or more.

Quote Originally Posted by rolzink
    Rather you save the money to further enhance the used powerbook to a new 12 ibook. small, handy and faster than the pb550. speed wise get another 256ram (arnd $90) or 512ram (arnd $240) wil do. If you need a larger screen for better editing just hook on to your pc monitor, if its 17" or more.
    Well i just thinking trade in with my under utilize compaq p4 1.3 notebook, i wont using Mac to online and etc.... as i already using a IBMt23.
    some more advises?

Basically you still need to calibrate your screen no matter which platform you are on...

Here's a link I dug out:
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=004YD7

the myth about mac for editing photos is trash, you'll still need to know how to color manage properly to get good results.

but at least with apple, the LCD used seems to be oh higher quality hence you're able to calibrate it more accurately.

at the PB g4 550 is about the apeed of a P III 1gig or so, hence I don't think you'll see any improvement of speed for doing photoshop work.

Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    the myth about mac for editing photos is trash, you'll still need to know how to color manage properly to get good results.

but at least with apple, the LCD used seems to be oh higher quality hence you're able to calibrate it more accurately.

at the PB g4 550 is about the apeed of a P III 1gig or so, hence I don't think you'll see any improvement of speed for doing photoshop work.
    Izzit good to use cross system, MAc & Xp?

There's no cross platform problems. One thing to look into: Powerbooks get insane prices on eBay. If you could get it pretty cheap, or trade it for your Compaq, then sell the Powerbook on eBay - you'd make way more selling it than you would the Compaq - maybe enough to buy a new laptop, with a warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by dampeoples
    There's no cross platform problems. One thing to look into: Powerbooks get insane prices on eBay. If you could get it pretty cheap, or trade it for your Compaq, then sell the Powerbook on eBay - you'd make way more selling it than you would the Compaq - maybe enough to buy a new laptop, with a warranty.
    So... should i go for the trade??

Quote Originally Posted by igpenguin

i think that the g4 550 will outperform a g3/800 and remember, it has got a 15" screen and made of titanium.

the new iboooks are great. g4 800 at about 2k... brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    i think that the g4 550 will outperform a g3/800 and remember, it has got a 15" screen and made of titanium.

the new iboooks are great. g4 800 at about 2k... brand new.
    then how bout a P41.4 with ddr 384 ram Vs. AppleG4 550 with 256 SD ram

cant find any clue??

have at least 512MB for XP and I'm sure it goes for Mac OS too.