Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is dry cabinet a must?

Default Re: Is dry cabinet a must?

I recently purchase my DSLR ,and notice that alot of people are recommending that a dry cabi should be bought as well to prevent fungus infection. The problem I am facing is I currently live overseas and will be coming back to S.G every 3 months(NS check) or so thus having a dry cabi to lug around is a little cumbersome, as i intend to bring the camera wherever I go as well.

I found out throught a video about rechrageable anti fungus packs does anyone know where to get them

Quote Originally Posted by chowychow
    I recently purchase my DSLR ,and notice that alot of people are recommending that a dry cabi should be bought as well to prevent fungus infection. The problem I am facing is I currently live overseas and will be coming back to S.G every 3 months(NS check) or so thus having a dry cabi to lug around is a little cumbersome, as i intend to bring the camera wherever I go as well.

I found out throught a video about rechrageable anti fungus packs does anyone know where to get them
    hw long will you be in sg each time? where do you reside in now? do you see any locals using dry cab or dry box?
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by chowychow View Post
    Low(er) humidity is recommended or required for long term storage, not for carrying around. No point putting any funky packs inside your camera bag, the bag is not airtight. If the place you live currently has a lower humidity and does not require any dry cabinet that it's fine - and even the short stop overs here in Singapore won't harm your camera. And even a few days in Singapore won't bring up fungus, just leave the cam on a well aired place, not inside the bag.
    EOS

They grow..but it takes some time too.. The best thing you can do is to use your equipment regularly..

I bought mine quite a few years ago from a hardware shop or DIY shop. Quite well known chain but I just remember the name! I think it was at Compass point basement.

I will be in S.G for only about 3-4 days to confirm with MINDEF that i aint running away.
    Reside in Perth Australia,
    I don't really meet the locals much. As in I don't enter their houses. I have seen no dry cabs as well in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    hw long will you be in sg each time? where do you reside in now? do you see any locals using dry cab or dry box?

Its always be safe then sorry. Don't because you want to save that $130+ you spoil your 1k+ lens
    The Negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by archiesc View Post
    Its always be safe then sorry. Don't because you want to save that $130+ you spoil your 1k+ lens
    It's better to make oneself knowledgeable (that's what TS is doing) than to repeat an old mantra.
    Last edited by Octarine; 19th January 2012 at 10:07 AM.
    EOS

I will be in S.G for only about 3-4 days to confirm with MINDEF that i aint running away.
    Reside in Perth Australia,
    I don't really meet the locals much. As in I don't enter their houses. I have seen no dry cabs as well in Aus.
    Here the Climate details of Perth. From what I can see and estimate, you don't need any dry cabinet there. The average data look perfectly fine to me.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_perth#Climate
    EOS

You probably won't need a dry cabinet while in Perth.
    But if you do return to Singapore permanently, or for a longer term.. better for you to invest in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Here the Climate details of Perth. From what I can see and estimate, you don't need any dry cabinet there. The average data look perfectly fine to me.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_perth#Climate
    And if you don't see them selling, you probably don't need as well. Does Perth or Australia have their own photography forum? You could check with the community..
    Alpha

I do understand S.G weather is humid so when I am doing my NS here i would def purchase one.
    So looks like in the mean time I should just leave the camera out in a well aired place like my study table?
    Not sure if the Aussies have their photography forum. They should have.

I do understand S.G weather is humid so when I am doing my NS here i would def purchase one.
    So looks like in the mean time I should just leave the camera out in a well aired place like my study table?
    Not sure if the Aussies have their photography forum. They should have.
    If you are studying/working at Aust, I'm sure you have Aussie classmates/colleagues? some might just be one of those who play with cameras.. ask around?

I googled for "australia photography forum" and I got this result. Check some of those sites out.
    Alpha

Studying over there. Yeah I get ard to asking them i guess.

When i am free will read up.

Anyone else know where to buy the rechargable anti fungus packs?

Anyone else know where to buy the rechargable anti fungus packs?
    I remember that Homefix has these packs that one can recharge by putting into power socket.
    EOS

I remember that Homefix has these packs that one can recharge by putting into power socket.
    Thanks man. By any chance do you remember which store is it?
    Looking at Homefix website they have many stores

Is there a mainline you could call? i suppose most stores carry the similar products..
    Alpha

These shops have standardized offerings, everywhere (nearly) the same. I saw them in the smaller outlet in Pasir Ris as well as in the bigger one in Tanglin Mall.
    EOS

If chowychow intends to "bring the camera wherever I go", then surely a dry cabinet is not too critical, especially in lower humidity environment like Perth.

Of course no harm to get one if it's available in camera stores over there.
    I remember stepping into a camera store around Hay St mall, and they did have some dry cabinets for sale.
    Exploring! :)

These shops have standardized offerings, everywhere (nearly) the same. I saw them in the smaller outlet in Pasir Ris as well as in the bigger one in Tanglin Mall.
    Alright than I will look for one which is closest to me. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    If chowychow intends to "bring the camera wherever I go", then surely a dry cabinet is not too critical, especially in lower humidity environment like Perth.

Of course no harm to get one if it's available in camera stores over there.
    I remember stepping into a camera store around Hay St mall, and they did have some dry cabinets for sale.
    Yeah I think I won't need a dry cabi in Perth but when I am back in S.G will get it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast