Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What lens should one get for going overseas?

Default Re: What lens should one get for going overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by ahmahippo View Post
    wow.... pls teach me
    Actually, 18-55mm is enough for travel photography

Only caveat: you must know the limitation of the lens

1. the shortest focusing distance is about 50cm - this may pose some problem if you want to photograph your girlfriend across the table. May need to back up to the next table for the shoot risking making your girlfriend feeling jealous because she thought that was the excuse for you to get near to the sexy girl on the next table!

2. 18mm is equal to 28 (1.6x crop) so the angle of field may not be wide enough. May need to back up to get all those food spread on the table, with the dishes coming out too small for you to show off to your friends.

3. at the 'long' end of 55mm (or 88mm on crop) may not be able to take the photo of that pretty lady across the room without the inclusion of distractions from the image of her boyfriend. Need to be thick skin to go nearer (manual zoom) to her for that large enough image. Of course you risk being beaten up by her boyfriend.

So if you know the limitation and work around (and the risk involved), this lens is more than enough

Generally, this lens is adequate for casual photo in city travel. Of course if you intend to photography wildlife in safari, that's a different story.
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

agree with Sion.

good photos comes with practice. Once you've come to appreciate what you already have and what your limits are, then you should upgrade your equipment. No use getting the best possible equipments when you dont have even the most basic knowledge of using them.

study you manual, get some e-books on photography, read magazines, and try to shoot as often as you can..

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I guess it depends on what you want to shoot.

Recently I went to Hong Kong for a week with just a 400D, 18-55mm lens and came back with 5 CDs and 4 DVDs of photos:

Once I shot with a manual camera with a 28-85mm for 5 years. I just shot within that range because that's what I got. It didn't diminish my enjoyment of photography.

Keep it simple, carry less, shoot more and enjoy photography.
    wow... thanks...
    i will see what i can do with just 18mm - 55mm lens...
    currently learning on some tips at http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/part1/1Bb.html
    dont know got use or not but least better than nothing :P
    coz i see all the pictures taken here are great. I am using auto setting eg: iso, etc all auto.
    i will try using manual set on iso etc and see how it goes.

just to check, in order to manually set, is it only allowed under those Four Creative Zone Modes (http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/part2/2A.html)?

Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    Actually, 18-55mm is enough for travel photography

Only caveat: you must know the limitation of the lens

1. the shortest focusing distance is about 50cm - this may pose some problem if you want to photograph your girlfriend across the table. May need to back up to the next table for the shoot risking making your girlfriend feeling jealous because she thought that was the excuse for you to get near to the sexy girl on the next table!

2. 18mm is equal to 28 (1.6x crop) so the angle of field may not be wide enough. May need to back up to get all those food spread on the table, with the dishes coming out too small for you to show off to your friends.

3. at the 'long' end of 55mm (or 88mm on crop) may not be able to take the photo of that pretty lady across the room without the inclusion of distractions from the image of her boyfriend. Need to be thick skin to go nearer (manual zoom) to her for that large enough image. Of course you risk being beaten up by her boyfriend.

So if you know the limitation and work around (and the risk involved), this lens is more than enough

Generally, this lens is adequate for casual photo in city travel. Of course if you intend to photography wildlife in safari, that's a different story.
    thanks for the info
    just wondering to take wide angle, i dont really need a wide angle lens just for it right?
    thanks in advance for this question

Quote Originally Posted by shogubong View Post
    agree with Sion.

good photos comes with practice. Once you've come to appreciate what you already have and what your limits are, then you should upgrade your equipment. No use getting the best possible equipments when you dont have even the most basic knowledge of using them.

study you manual, get some e-books on photography, read magazines, and try to shoot as often as you can..
    i only know got site for learning but dont know where to find e-books
    as for these days, i tried macro on flowers etc but dont really get the effect. not sure would I really need extra lens to get the effect. or maybe my setting are wrong.

[QUOTE=ahmahippo;5684832]thanks for the info
    just wondering to take wide angle, i dont really need a wide angle lens just for it right?

its hard to predict what you will see when you're travelling, so my answer is if you have a wide angle, then take it along. it could be useful for scenery shots.
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr

thanks.... wondering if i could ask, how much would it cost to get a wide angle lens? the cheapest one.

wonder Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II can help me with macro?
    Last edited by ahmahippo; 13th December 2009 at 12:24 AM.

thanks for the info
    No absolute answer. Depends on what you want to capture. Sometimes wide angle may not be wide enough for your purpose

wonder Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II can help me with macro?
    This lens is not a macro lens - does not give 1:1 ratio. It will give good bokeh though.

Learn the basics first. How focal length, aperture, shutter speed, etc affects the overall exposure, composition, etc. No short cut. It's like driving a car - you will need to know how the throttle, brakes and clutch affect each other before you can control the car well.

There are many photographic books you can borrow from the national library. These will be a good place to start. This series of books can give you good understanding.
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

thanks for the info
    There are some "wide angle adapters" to be put in front of the kit lens but that's only an option of you are into strange distortion effects and chromatic aberrations. On top, they are mostly heavily overpriced.
    The 18mm end of your kit lens is already a decent wide angle. Everything wider needs a dedicated wide angle lens which doesn't come cheap. Have a look at the Canon Lens Price Guide and you'll see that at the very wide end the prices shoot up - because of the necessary quality and efforts to make a good lens at such extreme focal length. The 'last cheap EF lens' is 28mm f/2.8; everything wider costs at least twice as much or much more.
    Last edited by Octarine; 13th December 2009 at 11:29 AM.
    EOS

thanks all for your time in repying to my post.
    i will check on what i could do with just 18mm - 55mm lens...

lastly, wonder where could i get flower lens hood?
    Last edited by ahmahippo; 16th December 2009 at 12:50 AM.

thanks all for your time in repying to my post.
    i will check on what i could do with just 18mm - 55mm lens...

lastly, wonder where could i get flower lens hood?
    It's called a petal lens hood (i think), and I also think that the 18-55 doesn't have the bayonet mounting for such a hood.

edit: from the dpreview photo, it does look like it has the bayonet mounting.
    In that case the hood can be bought from any one of the photo stores (cathay, lords, Alan Photo, orient photo, etc etc etc)
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 16th December 2009 at 11:31 AM.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    It's called a petal lens hood (i think), and I also think that the 18-55 doesn't have the bayonet mounting for such a hood.

In that case the hood can be bought from any one of the photo stores (cathay, lords, Alan Photo, orient photo, etc etc etc)
    no petal hood for the 18-55 as the front of the lens rotates during autofocus, so your petal hood will be turning here and there.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Blog Entries

Hi all,

I am going taipei soon and own a Canon 450D with 18-55mm lens.
    Wonder what type of lens should one get for overseas shooting?
    Could just using of 18-55mm lens good enough?
    I dont really know how to set those effect. wonder where could I get those guides on how to get great pictures?

thanks in advance
    i just came back from taiwan and i only had my T17-50 and camera

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post

oh ok... wonder how much would it cost normally

oh ok... wonder how much would it cost normally
    Call the shops and ask. It's only 8pm now, they're all still open.
    Alpha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12