Thread: Photshop Elements 8 and/or Lightroom 2

Default Photshop Elements 8 and/or Lightroom 2

I have never shot raw as jpeg seems good enough and converting RAW files seem very daunting for a computer-idiot like me.

My images usually require just basic PP using my old PS Elements 3 and have been quite happy with this. But if I were to now shoot raw files, I would need RAW programs, but which one?

My expectations for a RAW program are 1) it should be as simple to learn and use, 2) extract more details for the image, and 3) some noise reduction would be nice, in this order.

After reading up and talking to friends, I am thinking of the PE8 (apparently ACR is included) or Lightroom 2 (further editing in PE3). But Lightroom 2 is quite expensive at $400+.

Would PE8 with its ACR be good enough? All comments and opinions appreciated.

Default Re: Photshop Elements 8 and/or Lightroom 2

You should download both and try them out, nothing beats your own experience with the software.

If you want to shoot and edit RAW, then Lightroom 2 is a better option, as the controls are really easy to use - just sliders. You mention noise reduction, try the beta version of Lightroom 3 (free until April 2010), it seems to have a better noise reduction algorithm.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Seems like a good idea. I didn't know I could do so. If I ever use Lightroom, do I still need Photoshop for final editing?

LR is more for overall adjustment. while PS is required if you require more than basic pixel level adjustments.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

I use both LR2 + Element 7.0

As I need LR to converted my RAW to Jpeg.... and Element 7.0 to do border and other type of adjustment.

Scuba & Father... For Life

What about Adobe Camera Raw? I believe it is included in PE8. I am pretty bad at learning software so I am willing to accept lower quality for ease of learning.