Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: hoya filter price???

  1. #1
    Member prehistorik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Singapore West
    Posts
    69

    Default hoya filter price???

    hi guys!

    i viewed the thread regarding the price guides for dslr filters particularly Hoya brands here at CS. there i found that the 52mm Hoya MC filter is being sold at S$10 (as of 2009) at Lords in Lucky Plaza.

    When i bought my DSLR last week at John 316 in Funan, the indian salesperson asked if i wanted to buy that filter above i mentioned. i asked them how much would it cost and they said its S$25. i refused then, knowing that from the thread i would save S$15 from Lord's.

    but when i went to Lord's last Sunday and asked for the price of that same filter, they quoted it at same S$25 too...

    i would like to ask now if you have any idea how much is a 52mm Hoya MC filter? is the price quoted by both J316 and Lords correct or they were just overpricing me?

    thanks guys! i'll be buying a filter this week because i need one....

    thanks a lot for your answers....!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    the price is just a gauge of how much dat item cost...

    as it could go n and down, depending on who's the buyer n seller...

  3. #3

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    Hi there,

    i got it at MS color for the price of SGD 21. Is that consider cheap?
    i think the salesman say smething like multicoat type.
    The sales person seems nice and friendly.

  4. #4

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    how much is the 72mm hoya filter? getting for my 18-200mm.

  5. #5

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    just bought mine (52mm hoya uv filter) from allan photo in funan, paid $20 for it.
    Why so serious... Son?

  6. #6
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    The price for 52mm to 58mm filter size, it seems like a "stock market".

    Some times the same brand and type of filter can be cheaper, some times more expensive..
    Don't know what's going on..

  7. #7

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    Hi all,
    I have one question here. Is this hoya filter suitable for all types of camera? I am using Sony alpha 330 and found out that the Sony filters are all very expensive. I thought of buying one polarizer and it cost around 180. Is there any suitable hoya filter for sony camera?

  8. #8
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    For the guy who get the filter for $10, perhaps he is getting a discount together with his other purchases? Sometimes, if you buy enough stuff, the sales might decide to throw in the filter FOC...
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  9. #9
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    Quote Originally Posted by hbklau View Post
    Hi all,
    I have one question here. Is this hoya filter suitable for all types of camera? I am using Sony alpha 330 and found out that the Sony filters are all very expensive. I thought of buying one polarizer and it cost around 180. Is there any suitable hoya filter for sony camera?
    Yes. As long your lens filter thread size is the same as the filter diameter.

  10. #10
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    Quote Originally Posted by hbklau View Post
    Hi all,
    I have one question here. Is this hoya filter suitable for all types of camera? I am using Sony alpha 330 and found out that the Sony filters are all very expensive. I thought of buying one polarizer and it cost around 180. Is there any suitable hoya filter for sony camera?
    For dSLR cameras, you need to get the Circular Polarizer filter (CPL). There is a cheaper version of polarizer filter that works on point and shoot cameras...
    Last edited by CS TAN; 9th December 2009 at 10:33 AM.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  11. #11

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    For dSLR cameras, you need to get the Circular Polarizer filter (CPL). There is a cheaper version of polarizer filter that works on point and shoot cameras...
    So i assume the Hoya filter are suitable for the Sony Alpha camera and what i need to get is the CPL. AM i correct to say that? Thanks for the information.

  12. #12
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    Yes. no problem with different camera brand as long as the filter diameter fits your lens.

    Ideally, you only want to buy one CPL as you can use it on other lenses. If you have more than one lens, it is advisable to buy a CPL with the largest diameter of your lens. This way, you can use step-up ring on the smaller diameter lens to share your CPL.

    Hope I did not confuse you further...
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  13. #13

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    For dSLR cameras, you need to get the Circular Polarizer filter (CPL). There is a cheaper version of polarizer filter that works on point and shoot cameras...
    is Hoya HMC UV filter better or Hoya CPL better?

    is there any difference between HOYA HMC UV Haze 72mm filter and HOYA HMC UV 72mm filter
    Last edited by speedtest99; 9th December 2009 at 11:12 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Yes. no problem with different camera brand as long as the filter diameter fits your lens.

    Ideally, you only want to buy one CPL as you can use it on other lenses. If you have more than one lens, it is advisable to buy a CPL with the largest diameter of your lens. This way, you can use step-up ring on the smaller diameter lens to share your CPL.

    Hope I did not confuse you further...
    Thanks for the information. Your information is very helpful to me. One more question here, what is the price range of the polarizer (Hoya) so that i have a guide when i want to buy one? Recommended are MS Color, Alan Photo and Cathay photo, am i correct?

  15. #15
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    Quote Originally Posted by hbklau View Post
    Thanks for the information. Your information is very helpful to me. One more question here, what is the price range of the polarizer (Hoya) so that i have a guide when i want to buy one? Recommended are MS Color, Alan Photo and Cathay photo, am i correct?
    To get a better idea of the price, you can take a look in the Mass Sales section. Their price is quite good as compare from the outside shops.

    Here is an example: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...light=Hoya+CPL
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  16. #16
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    Quote Originally Posted by speedtest99 View Post
    is Hoya HMC UV filter better or Hoya CPL better?

    is there any difference between HOYA HMC UV Haze 72mm filter and HOYA HMC UV 72mm filter
    UV filter and CPL filter serve different purpose. You might want to read up on them.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  17. #17

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    UV filter and CPL filter serve different purpose. You might want to read up on them.
    i have read some info on the difference, so CPL can have addition purpose to filter reflection from glass or water.

    how about is there any difference between HOYA HMC UV Haze 72mm filter and HOYA HMC UV 72mm filter
    Last edited by speedtest99; 9th December 2009 at 11:39 AM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: hoya filter price???

    Quote Originally Posted by speedtest99 View Post
    i have read some info on the difference, so CPL can have addition purpose to filter reflection from glass or water.

    how about is there any difference between HOYA HMC UV Haze 72mm filter and HOYA HMC UV 72mm filter
    Sorry, I have no experience with Hoya UV filters. My recent ones are all B+Ws.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •