Thread: helping tips for wedding photography

Default helping tips for wedding photography

hi, im new to wedding photography and want to learn more on getting great pictures. previously my shoot was being criticized by the couple and that affected my confidence. (my field is in wildlife and travel, wedding is a totally new level for me). I had a number of questions which i hope those who are in experience enough could actually share with me, as i had another wedding coming up and im not intending to screw this one up..

1) white balnce - as the enivronment is always changing, would it be better to shoot at kelvin or auto white balance?

2) what should i shoot? - My style is to get artistic shots and moments and i find it hard when i am busy shooting the general stuff on documenting every single thing that is happening (tea ceremony, group photos etc).

for example - tea ceremony: should i be shooting every single person being served for tea (to ensure everyone is in the shot), or just get a few and proceed on to getting artistic pictures and moments.

3) Indoor - this is the part im most worried, i know using bounce flash is the way to light up the indoors, but i still feel its unimpressive. i've noticed experts manage to get brilliant indoor shots with very natural lighting and i know that flash was actually used, its feels like there isn't any, was wondering how can i achieve this

i hope you guys are willing to share your tips thx

dennis
    Last edited by dennisthetiger; 8th December 2009 at 06:24 PM.
    Award winner of Singapore Young Photographer Award 2012
    dennisongphotography.com

Default Re: helping tips for wedding photography

1) white balnce - as the enivronment is always changing, would it be better to shoot at kelvin or auto white balance?
    Shoot using to RAW (with AWB) and edit later in your RAW app.

2) what should i shoot? - My style is to get artistic shots and moments and i find it hard when i am busy shooting the general stuff on documenting every single thing that is happening (tea ceremony, group photos etc).
    Your style is your style lor, sorry but I guess you can adapt the style of photographers or angles which you fancy but no point trying to follow other photog style la.

For tea is a bit of both (artistic and proper) if you can but the latter, proper, is more important. During moments where the couple get a big gift from members of family, like gold necklace etc, when they putting on her you can snap that artistically. If you didn't capture it nicely, just get them to pose again nicely lor. It's OK la.

Indoor - this is the part im most worried, i know using bounce flash is the only way to light up the indoors, but i still feel its very fake and unimpressive, esp for a wedding. i've noticed experts manage to get brilliant indoor shots with very natural lighting, its feels like there isn't any flash use
    Errm, well, chances are they have prime lenses which allow them to snap without flash and use natural but if it gets really dark, flash is flash man and if you find it fake (which I don't exactly know what you mean) then consider learning how to make your flash looking soft and diffused lor... really. One way is you can get gels to match your flash temp to the ambient and another is to allow enough ambient light to enter your camera even if you have flash on. I assume you've seen shots where the fill from flash is blueish while surrounding is tungsten?

But more often than not, flash is used, it's just that they used it very well that you think no flash is used.

Anyways, browse through the forum, this topic has been discussed many times, if it's not specific then look at pictures and analyze lor... the amount of light, angles, or whether flash is used etc and try to adapt them.
    Last edited by rendition; 8th December 2009 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisthetiger View Post

for example - tea ceremony: should i be shooting every single person being served for tea (to ensure everyone is in the shot), or just get a few and proceed on to getting artistic pictures and moments.

3) Indoor - this is the part im most worried, i know using bounce flash is the way to light up the indoors, but i still feel its unimpressive. i've noticed experts manage to get brilliant indoor shots with very natural lighting and i know that flash was actually used, its feels like there isn't any, was wondering how can i achieve this

i hope you guys are willing to share your tips thx

dennis
    1) Auto white balance, and shoot in RAW. It will save your ass if you screw up the white balance.

2) Choose your battles. Which is why you keep seeing pros refusing to shoot posed shots, that's because we need to concentrate on what we do and do it good. We can't do it well if we are kept distracted by constant request for posed shots. Neither can you shoot everything and do it well. So maybe for the tea ceremony you just get the "proper" shots for the couple. Hey, it is a very important part of their day, they won' be too pleased if your only shot of them serving tea to their 90 year old grandmother is one of the teapot.

3) Use fast lenses, the use of flash just kills the mood. So go get some f1.4 or f1.8 lenses

Cheers and happy shooting.
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

eh,

for WB, i get tungsten all the way and gel my flash CTO during the day indoors. loL gives a nice "Artistic blue" hue. but mine is incomplete without high iso3200.

actually most couples, just want to to properly document the each moment. that is most important. if im the couple, i would be angry if you give me some artistic shot of something that is not important and miss the important moments.

as for tea ceremonies, its important to document the moments with the elders and the parents. the rest can throw in some expression shots or close ups.

infact i recycle lots of my "artsy fartsy" shots for alot of weddings hahhahaa. since they are not going to compare with each other.

if there's a nice blue sky, you may throw in some posed shots before they head up the block, just get down from car, or during smoking break. (something i learned from fellow pro Jacky from unique colours)

and there are various ways to flash your subject indoors and it looks like natural light. like overpowering the ambient completely. or use high ISO and fill flash ever so lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    eh,

actually most couples, just want to to properly document the each moment. that is most important. if im the couple, i would be angry if you give me some artistic shot of something that is not important and miss the important moments.
    on the contrary, i got criticized cos my photos was not up to their standard. i did however capture what a wedding photographer should capture, just not enough feel to it i guess
    Award winner of Singapore Young Photographer Award 2012
    dennisongphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisthetiger View Post
    on the contrary, i got criticized cos my photos was not up to their standard. i did however capture what a wedding photographer should capture, just not enough feel to it i guess
    Sounds to me like a lack of communication and agreement what exactly is expected and therefore need to be delivered. Spend more time on that point, but also watch yourself not getting carried away while shooting - it's easy to switch back to one's own preferred style and forgetting what needs to be delivered for the money.
    EOS