Thread: sunset shot

Default sunset shot

newbie here... anyone care to share the settings ur use to capture sunset shots?

Default Re: sunset shot

Quote Originally Posted by christoptoh View Post
    newbie here... anyone care to share the settings ur use to capture sunset shots?
    haven't tried sunset shots yet but if i do i'll just spot meter my cam to the sun, this way, the sun will be properly exposed while the rest would be silhouettes

You may also want to tweak your WB to achieve that orange glow

Quote Originally Posted by gimumancer View Post
    haven't tried sunset shots yet but if i do i'll just spot meter my cam to the sun, this way, the sun will be properly exposed while the rest would be silhouettes
    Then if 1000D got no spot metering, is there any techniques to create near that effect?

Quote Originally Posted by hoho85 View Post
    Then if 1000D got no spot metering, is there any techniques to create near that effect?
    Just use the regular zone metering, and adjust EV manually if needed. Most cameras are smart enough to understand the "everyday tourist consumer requirement" sunset shot. This is a basic shot that almost all cameras should have no issues with.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Just use the regular zone metering, and adjust EV manually if needed. Most cameras are smart enough to understand the "everyday tourist consumer requirement" sunset shot. This is a basic shot that almost all cameras should have no issues with.
    Oh yay

Normally I will underexpose, to get richer colours and not clip highlights.

sometimes i change WB to cloudy to get the nice warm colours.

I will also shoot in Manual mode to get the exposure i want.
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr

You know that every sunset is different and would require (slightly) different settings? There are no 'general settings for sunset'. As Rashkae mentioned: most cameras can do the standard job. If this is fine for you then ok. If not you should think about what you want to change - and think how to achieve it. Topics to read about: Metering, Exposure, White Balance,
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by yc2005 View Post
    You may also want to tweak your WB to achieve that orange glow
    Tweak it to a warmer WB for this.

I will also underexpose a little to get the details of the clouds. A plain sunset is boring. But the light refraction off the clouds can give amazing effects.
    Canon 500D 18-200mm | 50mm F/1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm VC

Apart from those factors mentioned above, nice sunsets are almost dependant pretty much on your location (where are you taking the sunset from) and the weather on that day (cloud cover etc which is unfortunately not within your control)

You might want to try a HDR too?

http://garmahis.com/tutorials/hdr-tu...free-software/
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

I've just begun to learn landscape photography & one thing I realised is that no matter what setting U use, U can't go without the GND filter to get that 'pro' looking results. See without & with GND filter, there is some diff.

As Rashkae mentioned, shoot and adj Ev compensation accordingly.
    Play around with WB. Fluorescent for warmer shots, Tungsten for cooler. A GND can be invaluable as well to help retain details of the clouds.

i actually like to try a couple of variations to find the shot i like best. u cld leave iso pretty much static, but play with WB, EV and meter on different areas to see what effect there is. i guess a filter wouldn't hurt either

Depends on the sunset, there's nt hard fast rule..
    Basically u need to tweak ur color temperature for WB, chk FG/BG exposure to determine the kind of GND strength u need.. Low ISO.. and fiddle with ur EV.. Normally multi/matrix metering mode will work just fine
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

see how.. theres also the upside down camera trick which you meter the skies, while rely on strobes at the bottom to fool the camera, haha. Just google for it.

Apart from the technicalities, the soft skills includes pre-planning, and scooping out the sunset spots if possible ( since u often only have a relatively short window for shooting sunsets ) and most of all composition

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Apart from the technicalities, the soft skills includes pre-planning, and scooping out the sunset spots if possible ( since u often only have a relatively short window for shooting sunsets ) and most of all composition

ryan
    poor man's reply to "good" sunset shots:
    set to raw
    set to exposure bracket, the more the better. eg 5 brackets at 1stop difference or if you cam can, 7 brackets at 1stop difference
    then you got more lee way to choose which exposure you want After the shoot, when you view the images on screen (camera LCD is a BAD BAD BAD guage, unless you are very accurate with histogram readings)

so back and process your raw
    see which set of exposures you like. play with WB. see if you like Blue Sunset? or yellow Sunset? or Red Sunset? or purple Sunset? you can choose and rechoose in raw. (no fustrations of, "Aiya, should have set this and that just now") (personally, i like blue sunsets)
    merge hdr or manual merge +dodge and burn get back details on the clouds etc etc.