Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

  1. #1

    Default Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Hi guys!

    I'm new to DSLR, just gotten myself a Nikon D5000, I am interested in taking far shots of scenery, which model of lens should i look into?


    Thanks a lot!!
    thailia
    Last edited by oneclick; 8th December 2009 at 11:13 AM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Your lens kit, or any other lens which start at 18 or 24mm, is usually good enough.

    What do you mean by "far shots" of scenery?

    In scenery, you want to take the 3D aspect of the subject. For example you want to take picture of a forest. There are some objects there, for example the trees, the grass, the sunrays fall between the branches, etc. To picture those objects, you need a wide angle lens which shows the relative position between objects. You will be able to see that, for example, in between the trees there are grass, the tree's root protruding from the ground, the falling sunrays between the branches, etc.

    If you mean that you want to capture far subjects, you would need a telephoto lens. But beware that when a telephoto lens brings a subject closer, it is also flatenned the subject's 3D appearance. Thus if you take a photo of a forest from afar using a telephoto lens, you will see the trees, of course. But you will loose the details regarding the distance between your objects and your photo will look flat.

    My two cents.
    Last edited by voldisinarta; 8th December 2009 at 11:17 AM.
    Achetez ce que vous souhaitez, pas ce que vous voulez...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    oh thanks! Now i understand.. will play with my kit lens further first..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    the kits lens for D5000 : 18-55mm is good enough for wide angle pics of scenery ..those UWA (ultra wide angle) lens like 12-24mm will cost around 1k..may be overbudget if you are just starting out in this hobby
    Nikon D750 and some manual focus primes :)

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Quote Originally Posted by oneclick View Post
    oh thanks! Now i understand.. will play with my kit lens further first..
    You're welcome...

    if you have any more question you can pm me... I'll answer if I know the answer
    Achetez ce que vous souhaitez, pas ce que vous voulez...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Wide angle is what u are asking abt. BUT...your kit lens is also able to take some form of wide angle. play around with it first.

    wide angles aren't cheap. probably going to cost abt the price of ur camera itself. for a good one that is.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Thank you so much guys!!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Quote Originally Posted by nysheng View Post
    Wide angle is what u are asking abt. BUT...your kit lens is also able to take some form of wide angle. play around with it first.
    wide angles aren't cheap. probably going to cost abt the price of ur camera itself. for a good one that is.
    Just a stupid question from me, what is the term "some form of wide angle" ? Because as far as I understand, which might be wrong, in DX lenses 18mm is already wide angle.

    The one that is relatively expensive is the Ultra wide angle, which is usually referred to focal length of 16mm and below (in DX), or 24mm and below (in FF).

    My two cents...
    Achetez ce que vous souhaitez, pas ce que vous voulez...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Quote Originally Posted by voldisinarta View Post
    Just a stupid question from me, what is the term "some form of wide angle" ? Because as far as I understand, which might be wrong, in DX lenses 18mm is already wide angle.
    Standard wide: 35mm on full frame
    Wide: 24-35mm on full frame
    UWA: <24mm on full frame

  10. #10
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    Standard wide: 35mm on full frame
    Wide: 24-35mm on full frame
    UWA: <24mm on full frame
    so the correct sentence should be "the kit lens is a wide angle lens already", not "the kit lens can take some form of wide angle"
    Exploring! :)

  11. #11

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    if you have the cash to buy, rent first if you dont intend to use the lens that often.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    if you have the cash to buy, rent first if you dont intend to use the lens that often.
    Thats what i thought so thanks!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    by the way, what kind of lens are good for macro for insects> budget probably not more than 300-400? i don mind 2nd hand though..

  14. #14

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Check out Tamaron 90 macro. Seem like it is on par with my N105. =(

    Quote Originally Posted by oneclick View Post
    by the way, what kind of lens are good for macro for insects> budget probably not more than 300-400? i don mind 2nd hand though..
    D300/700/3S|14-24|24-70|70-200|17-55|16|14|24PC|28|50|85|105M|135DC|500|18-200|24-120|200-400|T11-16

  15. #15
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Quote Originally Posted by DonnyDan View Post
    Check out Tamaron 90 macro. Seem like it is on par with my N105. =(
    Thats a overstatement, N105VR is one notch better imo as i used both before

    To TS : for tat budget, u can only consider Tammy 90 or an 2nd hand Nikon AFD 105f2.8
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  16. #16

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Thats a overstatement, N105VR is one notch better imo as i used both before

    To TS : for tat budget, u can only consider Tammy 90 or an 2nd hand Nikon AFD 105f2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnyDan View Post
    Check out Tamaron 90 macro. Seem like it is on par with my N105. =(
    okie..! what about any 100-200 bucks macro lens? any? asking on behalf for my friend..i doubt have ... LOL!
    Last edited by oneclick; 9th December 2009 at 05:46 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Quote Originally Posted by oneclick View Post
    okie..! what about any 100-200 bucks macro lens? any? asking on behalf for my friend..i doubt have ... LOL!
    Have, if u still can find in the used market.

    55mm f3.5 AI micro

    Alternatively , to stretch ur friend budget to 250 can get a AF 50mm1.8D coupled with a Raynox DCR-250 for a cheaper macro setup..

    See this
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Quote Originally Posted by oneclick View Post
    okie..! what about any 100-200 bucks macro lens? any? asking on behalf for my friend..i doubt have ... LOL!
    Vivitar for the win. IF you can find the right one.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    umm dun mind a noob question...how does one know that whether a lens is for full-frame and another is not?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazymuf View Post
    umm dun mind a noob question...how does one know that whether a lens is for full-frame and another is not?
    Depends on the lens. It's usually also explained in detail on the manufacturer site.

    Sony calls their APS-C lenses "DT". Sigma calls it's full-frame lenses "DG". It depends on the lens brand, and then you can just look it up on the manufacturer website.
    Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •