Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: confronted by milo uncle

Quote Originally Posted by Vynara
    lol I heard of that before. but then again, I heard it only happens when you snap someone who is asleep...
    trust me, it doesn't work, i've taken photos of my irritating friend while he's sleeping. He still wakes up and is all well.......

....... eh...... ok...........
    errr.... dun cry lah.... learn from the example of many excellent National Geographic women photographers, they act professional.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    ooops!!! i've taken a few shots of sleeping people!
    same here! but I've stopped ever since I got bombarded with the "dont take photos of ppl sleeping!".... actually there's a whole lot of supersititutions associated with this... cutting short life span, trapping the "soul", attracting spirits to harm the sleeping person, making the body vulnerable to possession.... goodness. Which century are we living in again?

I guess in the end just respect your subjects.......

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    errr.... dun cry lah.... learn from the example of many excellent National Geographic women photographers, they act professional.
    tears ARE professional in a way... to cry at will aint that simple, lol....

hmmmm. I think street photographers should be licensed to shoot unless it's a serious infringement of privacy (at the toilet for example). or else the extra-ordinary moments of life would never be fully apperciated!

tears ARE professional in a way... to cry at will aint that simple, lol....

hmmmm. I think street photographers should be licensed to shoot unless it's a serious infringement of privacy (at the toilet for example). or else the extra-ordinary moments of life would never be fully apperciated!
    there's no law to forbid street photography... cos it's in public spaces. dun think i want to be "licensed"... then everytime gotta whip out my "street photog ID" before people allow themselves to be photographed (sometimes unwillingly!)
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by HelmetBox
    it must be you give the tiko face right? hehehehe.......

Guys with cameras are always more intimidating don't you think?

But how would you like to be photographed yourself without your knowledge? I often feel sorry for those caught unaware on camera in the news and documentaries...especially when the topic is socially undesirable/ negative, e.g. jaywalking, unhealthy eating habits, smoking etc etc etc.

Was in Hong Kong for tour and decided to snap a street hawker at a bus interchange selling fruits. The moment they saw my camera, they shy away from the camera and i back off and wait, then i try again and this time one old lady started to shout at me and attracted the attention of some passer by, i bochup her and aim at her and took 2 close up shots of her scolding me.
    Afterthat I smiled at her and continue my street shooting pissing more street hawkers hehehe though generally alot of them are very friendly and they will pose for u.

Then again street photography must be thickskin and courtesy is the greatest virtue. I alway aknowledge with a smile at my subject if they know i was taking them no matter how they treat me.
    Last edited by tangoninazero; 12th February 2004 at 09:10 PM.
    10-20,18-70,18-200,50,80-200,70-300

"dont take photos of ppl sleeping!".... actually there's a whole lot of supersititutions associated with this... cutting short life span, trapping the "soul", attracting spirits to harm the sleeping person, making the body vulnerable to possession.... goodness. Which century are we living in again?
    heard alot too.. but don't care...
    I took alot pic of my boy sleeping.. when my in-law saw them, she start.....

luckily, my hockkien PTE LTD.
    Even I can guess thru' my little understanding..... who care..
    BTW, if my husband didn't say anything. Why should I botter..

Was over at Melbourne last month when i went around shooting. Was at St Kilda's Beach when i saw this guy playing guitar outside a shop. He was very indulged in his playing, so i didn't bother to ask him for permission. But when i fired my shutter on him at the very first time, he confronted me and said i should have at least ask him for permission.. blah blah. So i 'formally' ask him, and requested for a 2nd shot of him .. haha.

This is him -> http://www.pbase.com/image/25226848

But generally, i took quite a number of streetshots/portraits over there, and they are really friendly people. For all the buskers, after i took their photo, i will give them some $$.. as a token of appreciation. I believe this is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Was over at Melbourne last month when i went around shooting. Was at St Kilda's Beach when i saw this guy playing guitar outside a shop. He was very indulged in his playing, so i didn't bother to ask him for permission. But when i fired my shutter on him at the very first time, he confronted me and said i should have at least ask him for permission.. blah blah. So i 'formally' ask him, and requested for a 2nd shot of him .. haha.

This is him -> http://www.pbase.com/image/25226848

But generally, i took quite a number of streetshots/portraits over there, and they are really friendly people. For all the buskers, after i took their photo, i will give them some $$.. as a token of appreciation. I believe this is very important.
    u got it easy man....... wakakakakaka

Quote Originally Posted by TRiShnDaisy
    But how would you like to be photographed yourself without your knowledge? I often feel sorry for those caught unaware on camera in the news and documentaries...especially when the topic is socially undesirable/ negative, e.g. jaywalking, unhealthy eating habits, smoking etc etc etc.
    i fully agree with U!

Haa.. I think most older/aged people would shout/scream/yell/go bonkers when you take pictures of them... Younger people most probably shy away.. Haa.

I tried taking a few street shots during my school's open house.. you won't imagine the kind of things people will do to "siam" the camera.. haha..

The most vivid one was a girl selling flowers at one of the booths.. She was serving a customer, and the flowers were colorful, and she's quite pretty, so i decided to just shoot... When i took up the camera and aim, she siam.. -.-.. So i aim at the flwoers.. Then she come back in!!! then i like.. !!!! So i recomposed.. THEN SHE WALKED AWAY AGAIN.. then i like.. So i just shot the flowers with her body behind.. haha.

Aren't you guys afraid that people will manhandle your darlings?
    What if some hot tempered person takes and smashes your darlings on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Poledra
    Just know what you are doing will do.

eg: Don't go to those places that are dangerous. Geylang is an example. Of course it'll be interesting to take those backstreet prostitutes, but you are in risk of getting 1 big time trouble with the pimps.

normal places, people will not do this. But if tense build up, just try to calm him/her down. And rest assure him/her that you're doing it for leisure, for personal work, not for commercial use.

Like most of the people says, smile at them after you take the photo. I'll usually give a thumb up sign at them and give them a big wide smile before i confirm everything is alright, then walk away.

Above all, listen to their body gesture. It's very important. Try to calm everything down before they can open their mouth (you'll never know what kinda language they're gonna use and embarrase you in public!)

Quote Originally Posted by Poledra
    Just know what you are doing will do.

eg: Don't go to those places that are dangerous. Geylang is an example. Of course it'll be interesting to take those backstreet prostitutes, but you are in risk of getting 1 big time trouble with the pimps.

normal places, people will not do this. But if tense build up, just try to calm him/her down. And rest assure him/her that you're doing it for leisure, for personal work, not for commercial use.

Like most of the people says, smile at them after you take the photo. I'll usually give a thumb up sign at them and give them a big wide smile before i confirm everything is alright, then walk away.

Above all, listen to their body gesture. It's very important. Try to calm everything down before they can open their mouth (you'll never know what kinda language they're gonna use and embarrase you in public!)

Default Ignore

I had a similar encounter once. I just pretend that I do not speak the language and I ignore them and just walk off. Somehow if you act like a tourist then you could get away.

as zaren said earlier in the thread, there is no law to forbid taking pics of people in the street. But if I recall correctly there was an article in the newspaper some time back about this subject quoted a lawyer as stating that if the subject noticed and tells you to stop shooting and you continue...then it constitutes a breach of personal privacy and you have broken the law. The subject then can ask for the negs back(slr) or the pics erased(dslr).
    If not confronted or refused permission...then happy shooting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12