Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

  1. #1

    Default 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    From http://www.pentax.jp/japan/imaging/d...st_others.html

    DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL
    DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED
    DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL[IF]
    FA★ 600mm F4 ED[IF]

    16-45mm is understandable, it's not that popular and there's quite a few alternatives.
    50-200mm is strange... isn't that a kit lens option? I suppose there's the expensive WR version and the 55-300mm, but 50-200mm is still a nice budget telephoto zoom.
    18-250mm is mistake to discontinue... the 18-200s are very popular with Nikon and Canon, so people looking into buying Pentax need this as an option to consider Pentax. In fact this lens should also be a kit lens option
    FA* 600mm... well, currently it's made by order only, and the volume sold is probably not enough to justify keeping this going.

  2. #2

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    It's not a bad thing if they could replace the 18-250 with something slightly better.

  3. #3
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    Then i better order my FA*600mm fast. Just kidding... d:
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  4. #4

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    From http://www.pentax.jp/japan/imaging/d...st_others.html

    DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL
    DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED
    DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL[IF]
    FA★ 600mm F4 ED[IF]

    16-45mm is understandable, it's not that popular and there's quite a few alternatives.
    50-200mm is strange... isn't that a kit lens option? I suppose there's the expensive WR version and the 55-300mm, but 50-200mm is still a nice budget telephoto zoom.
    18-250mm is mistake to discontinue... the 18-200s are very popular with Nikon and Canon, so people looking into buying Pentax need this as an option to consider Pentax. In fact this lens should also be a kit lens option
    FA* 600mm... well, currently it's made by order only, and the volume sold is probably not enough to justify keeping this going.
    Actually I dont understand why they discountinue 16-45.
    For Pentax alternatives, there are only DA*16-50 and DA17-70.
    DA16-45 is cheap but the image quaility is very good for its price....

    However, if this is replaced by another WR version, then I am fine with it...

    For DA50-200, there is DAL 50-200 also available...
    K-5: DA1224,DA2040,DA*50135, FA31,43,24-90, To Sell: DA21,DA1770
    http://matchkk.blogspot.com

  5. #5

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    DA1645 has been replaced by DA1770, a bit pricey, but all lens prices have gone up quite a bit. DA1645 was priced at $400usd plus when it's launched ...
    DA50200 has been replaced by DAL50200 and DA50200 WR
    DA18250 is discounted because Tamron has discounted their 18250 version, and replaced it w/ 18-270. But obviously Pentax hasn't asked Tamron to make that lens for them, yet
    F*600/4 was a made-by-order item, it doesn't really generate much profit for Pentax anyway. Besides, Pentax already closed its factory in Jappan, currently there is no place can make the lens anyway I guess.

    That's been said, we have more than enough lenses to choose from, except the extreme tele end. Hopefully Pentax will release the rumored 400mm F4 lens sometime next year

  6. #6

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    Either that or hopefully FF lenses are in the works.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    Too bad Tamron hasn't made a Pentax version of the 18-270mm, and if they do, it will come with this redundant and expensive thing called "VC"

  8. #8

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    Too bad Tamron hasn't made a Pentax version of the 18-270mm, and if they do, it will come with this redundant and expensive thing called "VC"
    wasnt there an experiement to find out if lens stabilization made for on body stabilization cameras worked the same or better?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    wasnt there an experiement to find out if lens stabilization made for on body stabilization cameras worked the same or better?
    Yep. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPdy52mR6Io

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    "River end"
    Posts
    4,249

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    DA1645 has been replaced by DA1770, a bit pricey, but all lens prices have gone up quite a bit. DA1645 was priced at $400usd plus when it's launched ...
    DA50200 has been replaced by DAL50200 and DA50200 WR
    DA18250 is discounted because Tamron has discounted their 18250 version, and replaced it w/ 18-270. But obviously Pentax hasn't asked Tamron to make that lens for them, yet
    F*600/4 was a made-by-order item, it doesn't really generate much profit for Pentax anyway. Besides, Pentax already closed its factory in Jappan, currently there is no place can make the lens anyway I guess.

    That's been said, we have more than enough lenses to choose from, except the extreme tele end. Hopefully Pentax will release the rumored 400mm F4 lens sometime next year
    Nah... 400mm F4 too near to 300mm F4, I hope they release a 600mm F4 instead and a lighter one also.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    Nah... 400mm F4 too near to 300mm F4, I hope they release a 600mm F4 instead and a lighter one also.
    Des I think it will be a pretty big glass for 600mm F4 =P

  12. #12

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    ...and I am going to buy the 18-250mm tomorrow from another forummer here in B&S ... is that a good thing or not?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    "River end"
    Posts
    4,249

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    Quote Originally Posted by ishou80 View Post
    Des I think it will be a pretty big glass for 600mm F4 =P
    I meant the Pentax 600mm is the heaviest among the 600mm, hope it can be lighter.

    Pentax FA* 600mm f/4 ED (IF) - 6.80kg
    Canon EF 600mm f/4.0 L IS USM - 5.36kg
    AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR - 5.06kg

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    "River end"
    Posts
    4,249

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    Quote Originally Posted by cityzensg View Post
    ...and I am going to buy the 18-250mm tomorrow from another forummer here in B&S ... is that a good thing or not?
    We buy lens we need and use. If you need the lens, just buy and use. A lot of us uses lens that are discontinued so i don't know what you mean good thing or not.

  15. #15
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    We buy lens we need and use. If you need the lens, just buy and use. A lot of us uses lens that are discontinued so i don't know what you mean good thing or not.
    I think he is asking if that lens is a good buy or not . . .

    If it is a "Pentax" then of course lah . . .
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    "River end"
    Posts
    4,249

    Default Re: 4 Pentax lenses to be discontinued

    Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    I think he is asking if that lens is a good buy or not . . .

    If it is a "Pentax" then of course lah . . .
    oh...my bad. The pentax 18-250mm is a very decent lens.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •