Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Today is a bad day!

Default Re: Today is a bad day!

tough luck bro....

Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    its worth it to spend a few hundred dollars to see someone's true colors...some have spent more!
    i agree with you....it is cheap to see a person's real character..

So sorry for TS, your friend better be more ''automatic'' and get you a replacement set. he shld know these things are not cheap before even daring to open his mouth to borrow from you. these things must be very clear cut.

I don't lend stuffs to friend also...selective. and if i do, i will tell them upfront that to inspect before borrowing. any damages i find after is a straight 1-1 exchange,else don't borrow from me.

I also follow the simple rule of not lending anything that I cannot afford to lose. That practically means everything in my cabinet cannot be lent out.

Never every lend an very expensive camera to a person who does not own a decent camera even if you can afford it. Lend your friend a Pentax or Olympus instead.

The tricky part is, if your friend got money, you will get compensated and ready for a new
    D700 + lens. But if he is half broke, tough one.

New Zealand is well suited for wide angle. Depending on the climate, you get very good blue sky and deep mixture of foliage colors, so an LX3 will be sufficient. Unless you are out to capture sheep dogs where more zoom will be required.

If he is a real friend, you wont have to ask him for compensation.

If your friend has bought travel insurance, ask him to make a police report immediately. Pass him your purchase receipts when he is back in Singapore and he should be able to get back about 60 - 70% the cost of the camera and lenses. He can then top up the difference to buy a new/second hand set for you.

depends on the policies, usually max $500 for each item, and total claim max S$3000.

http://www.income.com.sg/insurance/travel/coverage.asp

better than nothing thou

Quote Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
    My friend borrowed my D700+17-35+28-70 set for his 2nd honey-moon trip in Europe. But he lost it!
    That is headache and painful! He is my good friend. I do not know how to claim from him.
    The worse thing is, I will make my holiday trip in New Zealand on 20th, but I do not have a camera.
    always...always buy travel insurance
    it's cheap and 100% worth it, can claim even u r ill oversea

Quote Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
    My friend borrowed my D700+17-35+28-70 set for his 2nd honey-moon trip in Europe. But he lost it!
    That is headache and painful! He is my good friend. I do not know how to claim from him.
    gd fren or not, i'm sure he won't take it like nothing big happened, or kind of "too bad lor" attitude right?

wat else did he say after he broke the news to u?

Travel insurance?
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

sion is right. a good friend is worth more than a camera. TS, just chalk it down to bad luck and write off the loan. who knows, one day your good friend might return the favour and save your life.

I think its a worse day if you were to lose a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    sion is right. a good friend is worth more than a camera. TS, just chalk it down to bad luck and write off the loan. who knows, one day your good friend might return the favour and save your life.
    dun see how he can be a gd fren if he simply allows TS to absorb all the loss himself.

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    dun see how he can be a gd fren if he simply allows TS to absorb all the loss himself.
    I also dun understand zaren's logic.

UandMe and Vulpixor:

We don't know the full history of the "good friendship" between Harvard and his good friend. TS's good friend may have helped him out a lot in the past, may have even cancelled out Harvard's debts to him previously.... nobody knows.

perhaps TS can throw more light on the matter.

U only lend the gear/equipt you dont need else U will regret most of the time.

Did your friend mention compensation or you told him never mind and regret?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    "Money for a camera no matter how expensive can be earned back.

But a good friend once lost never returns.
    " - Laozi

1. If you have the spare cash.. then it is ok.
    2. This is the opportunity to evaluate so call 'friendship'.
    3. It is OK to loose this 'friend' if he choose to ignore you when you ask him abt the camera
    4. Friendship is mutual.. one must understands the other need.. if u are not too rich and yr friend is loaded... then he should compensate you.
    5. It is his duty and obligation to COMPENSATE U

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    fully agree!

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    UandMe and Vulpixor:

We don't know the full history of the "good friendship" between Harvard and his good friend. TS's good friend may have helped him out a lot in the past, may have even cancelled out Harvard's debts to him previously.... nobody knows.

perhaps TS can throw more light on the matter.
    Yes... need to know more.. this is call compensation!

Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    which is why i only lend my things to my good friends,
    as my good friends will not ask me to lend them anything
    So true!

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    if i had borrowed your equipment (which i won't) I would try my best to compensate you for your loss
    it is the only right thing to do
    What I found unfathomable is, so many, dreaming up excuses, why TS should not demand compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    "Money for a camera no matter how expensive can be earned back.

But a good friend once lost never returns.
    " - Laozi

If the friend who borrowed the camera and lost it, does not compensate voluntarily, is that a friend worth having?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

agree with deadpoet. Why nowadays everything must be so ambiguous?if the friend really save my life before or sthg major yes i think can maybe close 1 eye.else how to?isn't it norm you shld compensate somebody when u lose the items.
    Are u gonna teach your kids it is ok to lost your best friend's things because if he thinks you are his best friend then you no need to pay.if you pay,this person not your best friend? Come on talk some sense pls.
    And talk is cheap,try losing your own gear of equivalent value then come here and say it is ok. Don't tell me you only lose a mickey mouse camera or watch..lose items worth a few k then come and tell ppl it is ok. Yes money can earn back...yeah so easy to earn right.$ fall fr the sky?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast