Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Item from Hotel?

Default Re: Stolen Item from Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by shahrulesa View Post
    That's the thing, I emailed the police some documents that could help out in the investigation (my flash receipt and serial number, picture of items, etc) but couldn't even get confirmation email that they received it. When I talked to the hotel and informed them that I made the report, they say the police had called them. Called! Does that mean they didn't even bother coming down looking at the videos and interviewing the staff. Sent an email through SPF website asking for the Tanglin's officer's contact and received email today saying they have forwarded my request to the branch. So as the days pass, I guess finding the flash back is probably not going to happen, but I would at least like to know they are doing something about it.

And yes the hotel is Meritus-Mandarin Singapore.
    Don't put too much hope in SPF or you will be very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookk View Post
    Don't put too much hope in SPF or you will be very disappointed.
    Fully agreed, from my experience with them.

Stop depending on them and buy a new flash. Just move on. No choice...
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm II f1.2L | 580EX II

Personally, I never ask housekeeping to fix my room during my hotel stays. I'll only be there for 2-3 days at a time and I don't mind if the beddings aren't folded neat every single day. I just leave a DND tag on the door everyday and no one touches the room when I'm there, if I need new supplies, I'll just call for replacement while I'm there.

Too much of a hassle to pack and secure the stuff everytime I leave the room, so it's easier if I just don't have them come in at all.

Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    Personally, I never ask housekeeping to fix my room during my hotel stays. I'll only be there for 2-3 days at a time and I don't mind if the beddings aren't folded neat every single day. I just leave a DND tag on the door everyday and no one touches the room when I'm there, if I need new supplies, I'll just call for replacement while I'm there.

Too much of a hassle to pack and secure the stuff everytime I leave the room, so it's easier if I just don't have them come in at all.
    You got a point there. But what about towels and such? You just use it throughout?

Another POV is that you are already paying for the stay, might as well enjoy the "benefits". But on the other hand, the risk...

Quote Originally Posted by andeelym View Post
    You got a point there. But what about towels and such? You just use it throughout?

Another POV is that you are already paying for the stay, might as well enjoy the "benefits". But on the other hand, the risk...
    As Andee: As mentioned, if I need stuff replaced, they're just a phonecall away, they'll bring up the towels and I'll get it from them at the door and that's that...

I'm just too forgetful and I hate to arrange/fix stuff constantly, i'd take mess over risk hehehe.

As Andee: As mentioned, if I need stuff replaced, they're just a phonecall away, they'll bring up the towels and I'll get it from them at the door and that's that...

I'm just too forgetful and I hate to arrange/fix stuff constantly, i'd take mess over risk hehehe.
    Good idea. I think i'll adopt that strategy in my next hotel stay.

I, too, am lazy in packing and locking and such. But then again, housekeeping has keys, they can enter anytime to loot the room. But at least the risk is much lower.

With a DND sign hanged, they won't even bother knocking There might be some "action" going on inside the room. Hehe.

Towels can be re-used for few days lah, save water and the environment.......they won't be dirty unless you played football and used the towels for taking of your sweat

With a DND sign hanged, they won't even bother knocking There might be some "action" going on inside the room. Hehe.
    Yup, I leave the sign on most of the time (whether or not i am doing anything) unless I want the room to be tidied.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Towels can be re-used for few days lah, save water and the environment.......they won't be dirty unless you played football and used the towels for taking of your sweat
    The water problem exists in Singapore, but not really very much in other countries, I went to a public toilet in Japan, the taps are running continuously without the ability to turn off the tap. Dun think they have water problem loh.

Just been to this hotel to cover a event on weekend.
    The security in Meritus-Mandarin is not tight in the first place. Anybody can access the guest room level, as there is no access key need for the lift to operate to guest room level.
    Like what others had said. As long as the house keeper open the door to do cleaning, anybody can just walk in grab the bag and walk out. Chances of the house keeper remember who stay at which room is very low.
    CCTV can't see who access your room also likely due to the fact that most hotel CCTV are pointed normally at stairways and lift lobby. The layout of this hotel walkway to the rooms is in circular form so camera viewing angle is very limited.
    If that house keeper didn't take it and there is no one going down or up the lift to your floor at that time. Then it also could be guest from another room of the same floor. On the way down, saw your room open, saw your bag, know is a camera bag, go in and grab it then return back to his room. House keeper might not even notice the one entering your room if he is busy cleaning the bathroom.
    Hotel can check and search their staffs in questions easily, but they will not alert or even check the guests unless they are 100% sure which guest stolen it!
    Not sure if the hotel had any logs on the time where the room being accessed. If they do, can get them to check if any room in the same floor being accessed twice within a 3-4 min time frame during that time when house keeper is working. Anyway, by this time I believe the guest likely already checked out. If he/she is not local, then it is near impossible to find him anymore.

Same here, Unless I will be there for a long period, else I will put DND sign. Also when in other countries, some hotel required you to check-in the keys when you go out, but I never did that.
    Also hotel that need to put the access card at the holder at the door for all the air con and power to work, I will normally leave it there even when I am out (of cos I off the power and aircon).
    As doing these will be harder for the hotel staffs know if you are not in the room.
    Even if I stay for a long period, I will ask for housekeeping when I am in the room. It is not a very big room, with their experience, they can get it done in 15 min or less. In fact, I never ask them to do everything, normally just clear the dustbin, replace the towels, top-up the coffee and tea, replace the sheet and make the bed.
    Last edited by Cursor; 16th December 2009 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursor View Post
    Same here, Unless I will be there for a long period, else I will put DND sign. Also when in other countries, some hotel required you to check-in the keys when you go out, but I never did that.
    Also hotel that need to put the access card at the holder at the door for all the air con and power to work, I will normally leave it there even when I am out (of cos I off the power and aircon).
    As doing these will be harder for the hotel staffs know if you are not in the room.
    Even if I stay for a long period, I will ask for housekeeping when I am in the room. It is not a very big room, with their experience, they can get it done in 15 min or less. In fact, I never ask them to do everything, normally just clear the dustbin, replace the towels, top-up the coffee and tea, replace the sheet and make the bed.
    Instead of placing the access card in the holder, I usually use a normal card like membership card or watever. or if I dun have, a folded piece of paper will also do. I do this so that my wife and I can hold a card each, also to have a cold room to return to after a hot day of shopping.

Arrow Re: Stolen Item from Hotel?

Unfortunately, this is a 5 cent 10 cent case for the police and nothing will be done.

My bag was stolen at a place a few years ago and I had to go down to two police station to make a police report.

Never received any outcome from the police.

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Unfortunately, this is a 5 cent 10 cent case for the police and nothing will be done.

My bag was stolen at a place a few years ago and I had to go down to two police station to make a police report.

Never received any outcome from the police.
    Fully agreed. I also kenna the same, police came and take statement, but I never bother to go down to police station to follow-up, cos there will not be a follow-up.

The hotel actually need an access key to go up to the floor.

As for my case, they admit that the hallway cctv only shows me and the housekeeping entering the room and no one else. My colleague stayed there last weekend and the housekeeping swipe her Cleo magazine - she didn't know about my case and just let it be. I really don't understand this hotel.

As for buying a new flash.. sigh.. after the incident, don't even feel like taking photos anymore. Went for vacation this weekend and my camera was in my bag the whole time. Maybe time for me to retire from dslr and just get an S90 or LX3 with some extra cash.
    Shahrul Esa

Went for vacation this weekend and my camera was in my bag the whole time. Maybe time for me to retire from dslr and just get an S90 or LX3 with some extra cash.
    Join the m4/3 gang

I will have to applaud the "efficiency" of the police.

I once lost a bag with personal stuff inside and also have a govt confidential document at a local pub. The police came in, took statement, didn't even bother to look around, took a glance at the useless CCTV footage and left. Left me a case number but never got back to me. And after I called after a week, all they can have to offer is that its a common theft and that there's nothing they can really do.

From what I've learnt from the management of the pub, mine is the second case in the month where the thief targets notebook bags, mine is unfortunate to be one, but thankfully no notebook inside as its an everyday bag too. I was like WTF and was comtemplating to set up a trap with the management and settle things ourselves instead of depending on the useless police.

Pardon my tone but that is what I feel from the whole event.

i must say i'm also quite dissappointed with our over-all efficiency of our home team.... had a bad experience..... why cant they do more then type our reports????

The hotel actually need an access key to go up to the floor.

As for my case, they admit that the hallway cctv only shows me and the housekeeping entering the room and no one else. My colleague stayed there last weekend and the housekeeping swipe her Cleo magazine - she didn't know about my case and just let it be. I really don't understand this hotel.

As for buying a new flash.. sigh.. after the incident, don't even feel like taking photos anymore. Went for vacation this weekend and my camera was in my bag the whole time. Maybe time for me to retire from dslr and just get an S90 or LX3 with some extra cash.
    Sorry, my mistake... I mistaken the hotel as the one with Tangs. Both start with 'M'.... pai say....

When I travel, I always think that it is better to be safe than sorry. So that I do not go into the hassle of going to the hotel to report or to the police. And then, after that, you go without the cam, money or passport for the rest of the trip. And then, it will definitely make an awful impact on your mood to enjoy.

I always carry my sling bag wherever I go, breakfast, toilet and even a short photo stop from the bus. My wife says I am too KS.

And also, buy insurance. Before checking in luggage, I take a picture of myself with the cam and luggages at the airport to show as photo evidence if something is lost along the way. Easier to claim insurance.

Remember that those chambermaids in China, Thailand are very poorly paid. So, do not tempt them with items lying on the table.

And I always use the hard case type of luggage, feeling safer that way. Once, I had a friend who lost her keys to her luggage. It took me a trip to the hardware shop and lots of sweat and more than an hour to break open that luggage.......
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Quote Originally Posted by Cursor View Post
    Just been to this hotel to cover a event on weekend.
    The security in Meritus-Mandarin is not tight in the first place. Anybody can access the guest room level, as there is no access key need for the lift to operate to guest room level.
    Like what others had said. As long as the house keeper open the door to do cleaning, anybody can just walk in grab the bag and walk out. Chances of the house keeper remember who stay at which room is very low.
    CCTV can't see who access your room also likely due to the fact that most hotel CCTV are pointed normally at stairways and lift lobby. The layout of this hotel walkway to the rooms is in circular form so camera viewing angle is very limited.
    If that house keeper didn't take it and there is no one going down or up the lift to your floor at that time. Then it also could be guest from another room of the same floor. On the way down, saw your room open, saw your bag, know is a camera bag, go in and grab it then return back to his room. House keeper might not even notice the one entering your room if he is busy cleaning the bathroom.
    Hotel can check and search their staffs in questions easily, but they will not alert or even check the guests unless they are 100% sure which guest stolen it!
    Not sure if the hotel had any logs on the time where the room being accessed. If they do, can get them to check if any room in the same floor being accessed twice within a 3-4 min time frame during that time when house keeper is working. Anyway, by this time I believe the guest likely already checked out. If he/she is not local, then it is near impossible to find him anymore.
    erm... so do you want the security to be as tight as military camps?

do you want to sign in and out every time you walk out of hotel? have your bags frisk by security?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast