View Poll Results: What if ya caught ya kids watching porn?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slap him left and right

    3 3.75%
  • Ignore Him

    6 7.50%
  • Watch With him and Educate Him the right way

    45 56.25%
  • Confiscate and keep it for yrself.. whahahahhaa

    26 32.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: What if You Caught Yr Kids Watching Porn?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore / Japan / China
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    Since its a jailalbe offence, it shows how serious it is rite? If a kid steals or kills someone are you gonna give the child a second chance?
    so you mean the kid should not be given second chance?

    stealing and killing are altogether different offences...

    like i've posted, they're still students...

  2. #22

    Default

    here's the article:

    http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...34614,00.html?
    Police probe porn VCD find in school
    THE police are investigating some Secondary 2 boys for possessing uncensored VCDs.

    According to a report in yesterday's The New Paper, one of the boys was caught last week when his teacher saw a VCD with a lewd picture on its cover drop out of the boy's history textbook.

    Advertisement

    The school authorities later seized two more uncensored VCDs from students.

    The report said the school, which is in the western part of Singapore, detained 17 Secondary 2 boys from 8am to 4pm on Monday.

    The school's principal confirmed the boys' detention, saying the 17 boys were 'rounded up for investigation following the confiscation of a VCD with pornographic pictures by a teacher on Feb 6'.

    'The students were made to sit outside the general office to reflect on, and write about, their involvement in the possession of pornographic materials,' said the principal.

    The school called the police at 2.50pm on Monday.

    After interviewing school staff, the police took in one Secondary 2 boy for questioning. Two other Secondary 2 boys were asked to report to the police on the same day.

    The first boy was released on bail at 9pm that day, while the police declined comment on the other two boys. Investigations are continuing.

    Some parents were angry that their children were not given food or drink during their detention at the school, according to The New Paper.

    One boy was hospitalised in the National University Hospital for a night because of an intestinal problem.

    The principal admitted that failing to let the boys go for a meal break during their detention was an oversight.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by innovas1
    'The students were made to sit outside the general office to reflect on, and write about, their involvement in the possession of pornographic materials,' said the principal.

    The school called the police at 2.50pm on Monday.

    After interviewing school staff, the police took in one Secondary 2 boy for questioning. Two other Secondary 2 boys were asked to report to the police on the same day.

    The first boy was released on bail at 9pm that day, while the police declined comment on the other two boys. Investigations are continuing.
    If it is really possession, I guess it's a bit bad. Exposure to porn at their age without proper supervision, will just create more societal problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by innovas1
    Some parents were angry that their children were not given food or drink during their detention at the school, according to The New Paper.

    One boy was hospitalised in the National University Hospital for a night because of an intestinal problem.

    The principal admitted that failing to let the boys go for a meal break during their detention was an oversight.
    I love this bit.

    Like that hospitalisation already, that boy really cannot make it. He shouldn't be even be watching porn, his heart might just stop from all that "exertions".

    Just imagine that some chaps in the army go for POW training... and no food no water... their parents complain to government.

    My guess is that the parents are trying to highlight this ill-treatment so as to lighten the guilt on their children. Typical.

  4. #24

    Default

    Assuming u kids is now in Sec Sch (maybe abt 15-16 year old),
    How would u explain the issue of porn, sex education etc to them?

    To be frank, being a Asian, I feel that most people (including myself) will somehow find this topic a little bit akward to explain.....

  5. #25

    Default

    porn is just a tool, you can either use it wrong or use it right. just like nuclear weapons and GM.

    as long as no overt exploitation is being done (eg: abuse of minors), why shouldn't people get to do whatever they want as long as it hurts no one else.

    I mean we don't ban alcohol altogether do we? even though alcoholism can be a problem for some. neither do we ban road vehicles just because some people get killed or kill others.

    for people who claim that porn causes problems in society and support its ban, its really outright exerting your own moral prejudice.

    We can certainly see other societies like japan, taiwan where soft porn is publically available, and they most certainly haven't been hit by a flaming meteor from the sky..

  6. #26

    Default

    guess it was unfortunately that the police for wind of the situation, else it would have been a good oppotunity for the school to educate and show compassion

    when I was shooting taipusam, I saw this tatooed on the back of a guy

    "
    when I do right, no one remembers
    when I do wrong, no one forgets
    ..........
    "

    hmmm.............

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In Paradise
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VincentLin
    I love this bit.

    Like that hospitalisation already, that boy really cannot make it.
    When I was in secondary school, I regularly fainted during assemblies cos I did not eat enough etc etc. So it means "I cannot make it"?

    Please! The boy has some sickness (I am assuming he is born with it). It's not like he wants it.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    porn is just a tool, you can either use it wrong or use it right. just like nuclear weapons and GM.

    as long as no overt exploitation is being done (eg: abuse of minors), why shouldn't people get to do whatever they want as long as it hurts no one else.

    I mean we don't ban alcohol altogether do we? even though alcoholism can be a problem for some. neither do we ban road vehicles just because some people get killed or kill others.

    for people who claim that porn causes problems in society and support its ban, its really outright exerting your own moral prejudice.

    We can certainly see other societies like japan, taiwan where soft porn is publically available, and they most certainly haven't been hit by a flaming meteor from the sky..
    Sori, but i thought this thread is about porn and KIDS. I do not accept the view that porn for kids is good for any society. But adult, that's a difference discussion.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rncw
    so you mean the kid should not be given second chance?

    stealing and killing are altogether different offences...

    like i've posted, they're still students...
    Okay, perhaps killing was a bit overkill (pun intended) but stealing?
    So you would give the kid a second chance?

    And we are talking abt possession of ponographic material as a crime punishable by jail.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore / Japan / China
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    Okay, perhaps killing was a bit overkill (pun intended) but stealing?
    So you would give the kid a second chance?

    And we are talking abt possession of ponographic material as a crime punishable by jail.
    again, stealing is a different crime...which i think it should not be compared.

    punishment, is of course neccessary, but which form of punishment? i dun think going to the police is going to solve anything, other than the kids being charged in juvenile court, or they might be let off with a warning (written)...or fine...

    i think the school should have communicated with the parents, before going "public". and that's what i meant by second chance...but now, this thing gone "national"...

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    Since its a jailalbe offence, it shows how serious it is rite? If a kid steals or kills someone are you gonna give the child a second chance?
    look the kid did not kill or rape anyone did he? i think its kicking up too much a fuss, how about a jail term for Steve Chia? he also caught with porn, how about jailing half of the population with porn???

    i think talking to the kid and his/her parents are 'right' way to handle the things. For one i think the principal or teachers handling the whole saga dealt with it very poorly! no food or drink for 7 hours and it was an oversight. i think the EQ of these people are questionable.

    Also, look at it another way, if sex is such a taboo, our creators much be having double standards when they conceive us!!! I think the educators of this school are ill-equiped with handling this situation!

    do not think that your 14 year do not know anything, kids these days are very bright and its a matter of time (early or not) to find out out about these. I rather the kids be taught sex, procreation, protection and about handling their thoughts and learn about their bodies, pleasure and the right values to go and respect your loves one to avoid unwanted pregnancy with this then to be harsh about it.

    i'll be certain to be open to my kids about this things when they grow up. Please we need to feel right about ourselves.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rncw
    again, stealing is a different crime...which i think it should not be compared.

    punishment, is of course neccessary, but which form of punishment? i dun think going to the police is going to solve anything, other than the kids being charged in juvenile court, or they might be let off with a warning (written)...or fine...

    i think the school should have communicated with the parents, before going "public". and that's what i meant by second chance...but now, this thing gone "national"...
    I agree both crimes are different. But if you look at the punishment "awarded" towards stealing and toward possession of pornographic material, I'm sure its easy to conclude which crime is more serious rite?

    Thats what I'm saying.

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    look the kid did not kill or rape anyone did he? i think its kicking up too much a fuss, how about a jail term for Steve Chia? he also caught with porn, how about jailing half of the population with porn???
    Erm you sure that Steve Chia was caught with porn? And your argument that since half the population has it means that it becomes a small issue after that?

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore / Japan / China
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    I agree both crimes are different. But if you look at the punishment "awarded" towards stealing and toward possession of pornographic material, I'm sure its easy to conclude which crime is more serious rite?

    Thats what I'm saying.
    the levels of punishments are not used to gauge which crime is more serious...

    for stealing, normally whats the value invovled are taken into considerations...

    well, not tok too much about which is more serious, but should those 13/14 year olds be given second chance. also, how the schools should handle these sort of cases in the future? go to the police everytime? is that the better way to educate?

    educating these kids is giving them a second chance...not only punishments...

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    Join them lor,

    whats done cannot be undone, so make full use of the incident and educate them. kids are very curious, and the more you don't want them to know, the more they want to find out.

    asian teaching is not very liberal, which sometime leads to kids being distanced from the family, which leads to the joining of gangs.

    listening, and explaining to your child may be fustrating, but it could be quite hilarious at times. it also help strenghten the trust.

    would you want your kid to talk about he's problem to a counseller or to you?

    just my one cent.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon

    "
    when I do right, no one remembers
    when I do wrong, no one forgets
    ..........
    "

    hmmm.............
    just like the chinese saying,

    Hao shi bu chu men, huai shi chuan qian li.

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UP NORTH
    Posts
    727

    Default

    if i caught my kids watching porn.... I WILL PAWN THEM...
    no la.... seriously, as a parent in this cosmopolitan city its a daunting task to track them every hour.... we gotta talk to them and make them understand(its difficult if its too young) what its all about and the consequences. we are talking about secondary student with pornography, primary 5 student are learning reproductive system in schools, how about that ???... contributing factor to their curiosity ??????

  18. #38
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    lets face it, everybody watch blue tape (thats what we used to call it). Most learn about sex from the tape as parent find it difficult to talk to kids about sex. Let him/her be for this time. It is a sign that the kids needs and wants to know more about sex. Talk to them. If you are like our parents from the 60s and 70s, then let them watch and learn!!!
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    Erm you sure that Steve Chia was caught with porn? And your argument that since half the population has it means that it becomes a small issue after that?
    he was caught with porn when police trace his PC for pictures of his maid. Police let him off with a stern warning, its all in the papers.

    its a non issue i think, my point is to educate the kid, dun shun him or her the sex education. Porn IMO is glorifled sex, if you talk to your kid properly he/she will understand that it really represent. If you have strong values pass to them they would educate better and judge for themselves.

    harshing and putting them down and shaming them will not do much good!

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    220

    Default

    I don't know whether to be liberal or conservative. I've managed to help correct a kid of 4 yrs then, who after being exposed to porn, went on to execute similar moves to her bro of 3 yrs old. She didn't know what those moves mean but found it interesting to perform it to her brother and herself! This is the effect of Porn! And I'm still angry at the kid's father for possessing porn and leaving it around the house to be picked up by his daughter who just learnt to use the vcd player!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •