Thread: James Boss

Default James Boss

Here are a short meeting story is a real life story.

One fine day in office, while James busy working and preparing his on coming important event on next week.

His Boss came over to his desk and told James.

Boss >> James can I have a short meeting with you alone.

James >> Now?

Boss >> Yes, Now!

James >> OK.

Boss >> Let go to the meeting room.

James >> OK…..(Don’t feel right..)

Boss >> James, next week there will a very important event with you and the customer.
    So I want to make sure, you are well prepared.

James >> Yes, I’m well prepared.

Boss >> Good, But I would like to let you know about my expectation.

James >> what kind of expectation you want from me?

Boss >> I want you to make this event successfully without any issue or probelm.
    I don’t want end of the event I got complain from other department or customer.
    So I would like to 100% focus on this event and make is a successfully one.

James >> Yes, I fully understand this point. Is my event I also wanted to make is successfully.

Boss >> Glad to hear that. OK, 2nd topics.
    About my Annual leave. When you want plan to have your annual leave during the Dec holiday??
    After this event I think you want to spend more time with your family and would want to have a vacation during X’mas and New Year?

James >> Yes, I would like to take some annual leave and spend more time with my family during X’mas and New Year. And I would like to take 2 weeks annual leave during X’mas and New Year.

Boss >> Ok, I have no problem with that….BUT….!!

James >> In his mind… Don’t sound good with the BUT…

Boss >> for your Vacation, as long you do a good job on this coming event. I have no problem how many days of annual leave you planning to take.
    BUT if you didn’t do a good job during the event.
    I’ll not give you any annual leave or you still going for your annual leave.
    Do you understand…. Is a give and take thing.
    You do a good job and of course I’ll let you go and enjoy your annual leave.

James >> OK… (As he running late to pick up his kid in school, as he also don’t want to further discus with his boss on this topics is a waste of time.)

But in James mind…. He felt threaten with his Boss statement,
    James felt annual leave is part of my benefit. How can he say such thing?

Boss >> Is late now.. I think you need to rush off to pick up your kid now. (Show a FccK face to James)

End of meeting….

OK, If you on James shoe what’ll you reply during the meeting?
    Or if you are James Boss will you said such thing to James?

I would like to have some feed back.
    Overall how you felt over this short and shocking meeting.

Thanks you so much for reading my thread..!!!
    Last edited by Rubber_Duck; 5th December 2009 at 10:45 PM.

Default Re: James Boss

okay....this is so freaking dejavu!!! i just had this kind of conversation with my boss on fri! instead of do a good job, u can take paid leave. it's do a good job and u'll get unpaid leave. do a bad job and u have to work paid overtime. hmmm....

cant help u there man.
    おれのflickrださ

common scenes among boss and worker here
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    okay....this is so freaking dejavu!!! i just had this kind of conversation with my boss on fri! instead of do a good job, u can take paid leave. it's do a good job and u'll get unpaid leave. do a bad job and u have to work paid overtime. hmmm....

cant help u there man.
    sound so bad...
    sad to hear that.....

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    common scenes among boss and worker here
    But in james shoe....
    how you going to react???
    Sue him? or report to next higher level or HR???

Overall I felt is threatening.
    you screwed up.. that's it....

my koliq has been threatened by the boss...twice. both times its 'you either go for this training course and sign a 1 year bond or you can leave the company right now'...hmmm.....

i imagine myself in james shoe: i'll tell the boss straight up, i will take leave regardless. u don approve it, here's my letter.
    おれのflickrださ

my koliq has been threatened by the boss...twice. both times its 'you either go for this training course and sign a 1 year bond or you can leave the company right now'...hmmm.....

i imagine myself in james shoe: i'll tell the boss straight up, i will take leave regardless. u don approve it, here's my letter.
    So did u sign for the 1 year bond??

No need to give the letter...
    U still need income to support ur hobby...

is for me... I will tell him that is my annual leave
    and is part of my benefit. Like that go and talk to the HR.

Involve MOM.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post
    So did u sign for the 1 year bond??

No need to give the letter...
    U still need income to support ur hobby...

is for me... I will tell him that is my annual leave
    and is part of my benefit. Like that go and talk to the HR.
    of coz not. i told my boss don threaten me or i wrie leter to newspaper and MOM. he nothing to say lor.
    おれのflickrださ

sound so bad...
    sad to hear that.....

But in james shoe....
    how you going to react???
    Sue him? or report to next higher level or HR???

Overall I felt is threatening.
    you screwed up.. that's it....
    Sure feel threaten and demoralising, not a wise move for boss in long run. It's all depend on how you treasure your job. Not thinking of leaving the job at the moment, so will follow what boss requested (but not serious issue like sign bond type), & not to sour the relation (at least until receive the full year bonus). There was no higher rank to complain to, as he is the top boss in the company .
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Make sure you get everyhting in writing. Have him confirm his "conditions" via email.
    Alpha

I just hate superiors who treat people like dogs, plenty of such people around the company that I worked for.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Involve MOM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Make sure you get everyhting in writing. Have him confirm his "conditions" via email.
    MOM... I don't think they can do anything..

Do u think he will be so stupid to write down black and white!?!?!

of coz not. i told my boss don threaten me or i wrie leter to newspaper and MOM. he nothing to say lor.
    wow!!!
    Like that also can!!!!
    U win liao!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    I just hate superiors who treat people like dogs, plenty of such people around the company that I worked for.

So what'll u do???
    hack care just work normal? Or take some action??

In US is superiors treat their they will kannada law
    suite!!!

But in Sg... Ppl just keep some bother and work lor..
    If no one make this big and let the media know abt this such things will keep on going...

For me I'll take some action.Cos we still have our rights!!

Well, it depends on the situation. I must say my case was a lucky one:

My first job was in contractor and boss are those typical stingy and treats his staff like dog.

So I cannot tahan and lower down my personal work effort until he cannot tahan. And his wife was also the MD in charge of Finance / account. So rumours about me giving OT to workers often and I am not helping the company. So he went to site and "kopi" with me.

He said if I continued like that I should not stay to help him, I was just a burden to his company growth. So it was my chance, I started the the heat debate: If you think I am not right, just cancelled all the OT i signed. You and your wife are the BOSS!!! Go and tell those Indian, Banglah, Siam kia workers you want to cancell their OT pay!! He shouted: I cannot do that because you are the enginner leading them!

I replied: engineer your head lah! what kind of attitude you talk to your engineer. I fire U

Good enough to leave and I was surprise all the workers were listening outside the site office. Well, the first thing they asked: Boss no pay OT???

well, we meet sometimes in sites (Singapore construction circle is too small). We smile and shake hand like normal business partners or competitors. So it really depends how you handle your situation and the confident you have for your future.

Local labor laws are more lenient here. So long as one gets paid as per contracted, it is difficult to fault employers who hire/fire based on performance.

Ever heard of cisco equipment? The bottom 5% is eliminated every three months. So even if you hit the target for the company, but being the weakest link, the door will be shown next.

Now, the above story is based on the employee's perspective. As an employer, do you enjoy having 90% of your team on holiday with insufficient crew manning the biz? If asking for leave on desired dates seems like an entitlement, then all i say is the employees in the team has no interest in keeping the company going.

Or in a hospital, if 99% goes on holiday (including doctors and admin staff), then how can the hospital work out its staff shortages? A well deserved entitlement still? How about work ethics?

Back to the story, well the James boss story is definitely trying to proof a point, but remember, his hint is to tell employee to resign if not happy. It is an employers' market now. With one less staff, the boss has higher paycheck and thanks to another resignation. There are many tricky ways to churn employees away without needing to give the golden handshake. Even big foreign banks are no exception. They can make the SVP sit at the entrance of an office in the next reorg. The embarrassment will drive him nuts within the first day.

So what'll u do???
    hack care just work normal? Or take some action??

In US is superiors treat their they will kannada law
    suite!!!

But in Sg... Ppl just keep some bother and work lor..
    If no one make this big and let the media know abt this such things will keep on going...

For me I'll take some action.Cos we still have our rights!!
    I wished I could just flip my fingers and say f*** you to some of my superiors but unfortunately I have a bond to serve and a rice bowl to secure.

Doesn't help the fact that some of these people are former military regulars used to a lifetime of regimentation which they bring with them in their civilian afterlife.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

wow!!!
    Like that also can!!!!
    U win liao!!!
    i wish. i think becoz of this i kena blacklisted...hmmm...too bad for them lor. they dowan my service, heck care them. just do kanasai work for them. still pro work, just without that something extra.

in my company now, there's a new 'acting' director of production. man...he's a dog if ever there's a need to label someone dog. he...oh, excuse me, IT really is just 'acting' infront of its bigger boss. 'acting' that he can do the job. wats his job? shouting into everyone's ears. i just wish he shouts at me, threaten me in front of the others...ahhh...wat would i do to him then...dreams...dreams....
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    I wished I could just flip my fingers and say f*** you to some of my superiors but unfortunately I have a bond to serve and a rice bowl to secure.

Doesn't help the fact that some of these people are former military regulars used to a lifetime of regimentation which they bring with them in their civilian afterlife.

Very true indeed regarding the bringing forward of
    their attitude into their civilian afterlife.
    Have gone through with such people.

These people never learn to apply the most
    important ingredient to the formula of human
    success. To them it is getting those below
    them to get the job done by stern hurting and
    forceful hitting words.

Who f*** care how he feels kind of attitude.
    The above are very common in the work place.
    The victims usually have to bear with all the
    onslaught because of their rice bowl.

The bigger the organisation the more the
    less shown of empathy towards employees.