Thread: Passport Photos

Default Passport Photos

Anyone know if there is still a photolab that uses a medium format cam to take passport photos? It seems that everywhere else is using digital camera and the results are pretty awful.

Passport photos are already not too flattering. It was acceptable back then, but now...

Quote Originally Posted by hori
    Anyone know if there is still a photolab that uses a medium format cam to take passport photos? It seems that everywhere else is using digital camera and the results are pretty awful.

Passport photos are already not too flattering. It was acceptable back then, but now...
    you are very overkill right, use MF.
    The format does not make a picture look better what.

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    you are very overkill right, use MF.
    The format does not make a picture look better what.
    not really. i know for a fact that once upon a time (before i started photography) they indeed used a larger format than 35mm for passport photos. Smaller than 645 i think... but larger than 36x24mm. I know cos i saw some of my grandma's photos. Maybe one of those labs in Jalan Kayu or something still does it.

Quote Originally Posted by leonzhu
    not really. i know for a fact that once upon a time (before i started photography) they indeed used a larger format than 35mm for passport photos. Smaller than 645 i think... but larger than 36x24mm. I know cos i saw some of my grandma's photos. Maybe one of those labs in Jalan Kayu or something still does it.
    i know there is such a thing, i had one of myself taken like that long ago too.
    my point is, why use medium format when the passport photo is going to be so small.

even if you use digital can blow up until super 8R without much grain or pixelation. whether the picture look good or not depend on the photog skill.

The places that still use a MF for passport photos merely use a Seagull 6X6 with a split mask so that they can take 4 polaroid shots with each exposure. Quality is inferior to even that of digicam passport photos.

The best passport photos are those taken in the comfort of your own home with bounced flash/improvised softbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    The best passport photos are those taken in the comfort of your own home with bounced flash/improvised softbox.
    That's what i did....print 4R can cut into so many pieces

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    i know there is such a thing, i had one of myself taken like that long ago too.
    my point is, why use medium format when the passport photo is going to be so small.

even if you use digital can blow up until super 8R without much grain or pixelation. whether the picture look good or not depend on the photog skill.
    have you seen the type of digital cams they use for such photography? the image quality is really bad. and using that small on camera flash, under mixed lighting, white balance off, and using the cheap instant printers.....

my driving licence photo looked real baad. regretted not taking my own.

i guess someone who really does the full frame medium format thingy will probably be quite proficient in camera handling, darkroom and printing techniques... might be able to deliver a better photo. but that's just based on assumptions with no basis.

I can shoot in medium format but do not see how i can get better picture compared to a digital camera for a passport size picture.

in the first place the guy was probably a fly by night photog or prob he was just providing this service to make money. (like the guy at Ubi's Comfort Driving Centre)

this has no relation to medium format photography which are often use to perserve all the small details and for blowing up to life size.

unless you can show, all else being the same (eg. lighting) that MF picture is better than one from a digital camera in the same setting.

I dun even have to worry that the MF is using a carl zeiss because at passport size, who can see.

Quote Originally Posted by hori

you can try a shop at toa payoh central. Along the row of shops together with Nokia service centre. The old chap there uses a mamiya large format camera.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    The places that still use a MF for passport photos merely use a Seagull 6X6 with a split mask so that they can take 4 polaroid shots with each exposure. Quality is inferior to even that of digicam passport photos.

hehe, i dun have a softbox but I made do with photoshop masking out the harsh shadows.

Looks good cause I can take a million shots and choose the best one! kekekekekeeeeeee

Taking myself means I have full control over the results!

Quote Originally Posted by leonzhu
    have you seen the type of digital cams they use for such photography? the image quality is really bad. and using that small on camera flash, under mixed lighting, white balance off, and using the cheap instant printers.....

my driving licence photo looked real baad. regretted not taking my own.

i guess someone who really does the full frame medium format thingy will probably be quite proficient in camera handling, darkroom and printing techniques... might be able to deliver a better photo. but that's just based on assumptions with no basis.
    har? which studio u went to? I dun think they are using the small on board flash, probably only to trigger the slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmetBox
    har? which studio u went to? I dun think they are using the small on board flash, probably only to trigger the slaves.
    no, no slaves, not even on the backdrop. a lot of shops do that. i'm guessing that because film costs them they try harder?

i'm not saying there's an advantage to MF, it might be overkill. but some of these old-school shops do the passport photos in a true studio-style. and the photog at least appears to know what he's doing.

I did it myself and use the photo for my new IC and driver's license. Only used a 2MP camera.