Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed in macro photography

Default Re: Help needed in macro photography

Quote Originally Posted by famosa View Post
    Hi,
    newbie here and I am interested in macro photography. Can you advise what will be the good tripod for macro? What about monopod, which is more flexible? Thanks.
    there a few flexible tripod in the market, IMO, top of the line will be Gitzo Explorer follow by Vanguard Alta pro or one of the Benro (dun noe which model)

Of cuz Monopod is also can be consider but if really want serious macro shot, tripod is still recommended. as monopod will still have movement. 1-2 mm movement is a lot for macro.
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

just took these 2 pics today.

Photos are resized, but no other PP was done. No cropping as well. Took this picture about 2cm away from the dragonfly's face

I already set my aperture to f25, but the DOF is still razor thin. I think i managed to focus on the dragonfly's face, but the picture still looks very blury...

Any advice regarding the 2 pics here as well as the pics i posted last weekend?

Thanks
    Last edited by android17; 11th December 2009 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    just took these 2 pics today.

Photos are resized, but no other PP was done. No cropping as well. Took this picture about 2cm away from the dragonfly's face

I already set my aperture to f25, but the DOF is still razor thin. I think i managed to focus on the dragonfly's face, but the picture still looks very blury...

Any advice regarding the 2 pics here as well as the pics i posted last weekend?

Thanks
    If u are parellel to the subject then u will get the whole in focus, notice u only shoot the head. When on very close to subject, your dof will be very thin, the closer u r, the thinner it will be. Therefore in order to get everything in focus, u might want to consider stacking images with different focus area?

The cause of black bg is mainly becus, ur shutter speed too fast.

Btw do u use anything else other then just the lens? Eg, ext tube?

Thx for the tip. I had thought that the black background was caused by incorrect flash usage lol. Will use a slower shutter speed next time if I wanna capture the background.

The 2 pics wasn't taken by a macro lens. Didn't bring out my macro lens yesterday as my initial plan wasn't to take insects. They're taken with a 70-300mm with raynox 250 (always have this in my bag).

Gonna try out my 100mm macro lens with raynox next time

Thx for the tip. I had thought that the black background was caused by incorrect flash usage lol. Will use a slower shutter speed next time if I wanna capture the background.

The 2 pics wasn't taken by a macro lens. Didn't bring out my macro lens yesterday as my initial plan wasn't to take insects. They're taken with a 70-300mm with raynox 250 (always have this in my bag).

Gonna try out my 100mm macro lens with raynox next time
    Using raynox or tube, your DOF will be much thinner becuz your lens is even closer to the sucject. shoot butterfly still ok...

give you a quick calculation, based on Canon APSC + 100mm Macro lens. in order to get 100% in the frame with a subject size of 50mm, at the closest distance of 0.22m, you f-stop have to be F25.

let say subject size, f-stop, 100% in the frame remain the same but use Canon APSC + 180mm Macro length, the closest distance require is 0.40m
    Last edited by egnaro; 11th December 2009 at 10:03 AM.

Btw will those ring flash help in macro photography? I find macro photography fascinating, think i'll be doing these more often. Should I invest in a ring flash?

Btw will those ring flash help in macro photography? I find macro photography fascinating, think i'll be doing these more often. Should I invest in a ring flash?
    suggest you twin flash instead of ring flash.

Blog Entries

yes it will

this was taken at f57, hand held and at night

taken with only one of the SB-R200
    Last edited by ortega; 11th December 2009 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    Using raynox or tube, your DOF will be much thinner becuz your lens is even closer to the sucject. shoot butterfly still ok...

give you a quick calculation, based on Canon APSC + 100mm Macro lens. in order to get 100% in the frame with a subject size of 50mm, at the closest distance of 0.22m, you f-stop have to be F25.

let say subject size, f-stop, 100% in the frame remain the same but use Canon APSC + 180mm Macro length, the closest distance require is 0.40m
    What if I use a 1.4x teleconverter instead of raynox? Will it help, as in since I don need to get closer, will my dof remain the same instead of getting shallower?
    Using a teleconverter will not change the focusing distance right? Compared to a close up filter or macro adaptor which will require a closer distance to get increased magnification.

What if I use a 1.4x teleconverter instead of raynox? Will it help, as in since I don need to get closer, will my dof remain the same instead of getting shallower?
    Using a teleconverter will not change the focusing distance right? Compared to a close up filter or macro adaptor which will require a closer distance to get increased magnification.
    Infact yes TC work better for macro.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12