Thread: Preference when shooting the night sky

Default Preference when shooting the night sky

Is thinking of shooting stars trails in the night sky.

I understand Singapore really bad light pollution but was wondering will it make any difference shooting from the different kind of locations with regards to interference from light sources.

1) Below ground level, eg: From inside a depressed area
    2) Ground level, eg: Open field
    3) Above ground level, eg: Rooftop of a tall building

No difference or is there a general preference?

Default Re: Preference when shooting the night sky

Nope. In all cases you'll need to point upwards to capture light trails. i'd say the preference is to get as far away from the city lights as possible. Think of the most ulu Sembawang/Punggol corners, etc.
    Alpha

Thanks for the reply. How about using GND filters? Will it help if I use it to weaken light sources from the foreground, leaving the clear part for the sky. I suspect not but it's better to confirm than be in doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    Thanks for the reply. How about using GND filters? Will it help if I use it to weaken light sources from the foreground, leaving the clear part for the sky. I suspect not but it's better to confirm than be in doubt.
    you can darken the sky with filters, but you also darken the stars at the same time.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    about this part yes... i did use my GND when shooting star trials on the beach... the beach normally expose too fast while the stars in the sky expose rather slow... i normally use 2 stop gnd and have the darker part on the sands... depends on situation, i think 3 stops might be used as well... hard edge transition is easier to see at night...

hope this helps...