Thread: A $14 micro alternative... 2 test images...

Default A $14 micro alternative... 2 test images...

Micro lenses can be pretty pricey, especially for their limited scope of usage.
    If you cant justify paying at least $500 for a dedicated micro lens, your could use close focusing lenses such as the Nikkor/Canon or what have u zooms with micro settings.

But of course, there is no substitute for dedicated micro lenses, because their sharpness is incredible.

For me, I have yet to find an excuse to buy a micro ( the sigma 105mm will be my first ) and I make do with a Hoya +4 filter and a SIgma 70-300 Macro APO.

The following shots are taken with the Hoya +4 close up filter on a Nikkor 50mmf1.8 . Both shots taken with D100 + SB80DX with the cap.

Images has been sharpened, resized and added abit of saturation.

These flowers are about the size of a 10 cent coin, perhaps abit smaller... not sure what are they.

both shot at ISO200, 1/160s f20

So.... at $14 , u can start taking those little things that you've always wanted.

Cool tip!
    $14 Singapore Dollars or US Dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Cool tip!
    $14 Singapore Dollars or US Dollars?
    Either currencies, it's still cheap.

May check how you got black background?

FIrst, you need a reasonably dark background. FOr this I simply had the flower out of my window at night, the background was actually blocks of flats. They need to be far away, so that the flash will have no effect on them.

Then, use a very small aperture, say f16-f22 which will underexpose the background and image completely. I used 1/160s @ f20 for this image.
    But I will get the same results irregardless of shutter speed, you can use 1/60s if u like. So long as u underexpose by crazy amounts, its alright.

Then use a flash.

So basically, the flash will light the flower, but not the background because of your small aperture.

one or two years ago, Hoya close-up filters were selling for ~$11.... it's a fast and cheap way to get good macro shots.

nice shot & great tips!!!