Thread: street-shooting community website

Taipei, Taiwan/ Los Angeles, California. U.S.A.

Thumbs up street-shooting community website

Anti-eye candy...more meaning then the flower macros and sunset shots that clog most photo-communities...where a minimum of equipment is the key: street photography.

Basically, I kinda got tired of "easy eye candy" or "safe photos" and gear talk so I just started a community for street-shooting, which is kinda the opposite.

InTheStreet.net

This site definately isn't for most folks, but it's the aspect/subject matter of photography that I find most interesting and fufilling.
    Last edited by OpenLens; 10th February 2004 at 10:12 PM.

i have the uptmost admiration and respect for street-shooting... it takes a sharp eye, perfect handling of your camera, and GUTS.... I just can't gather the courage to point my camera at someone and shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Vynara
    i have the uptmost admiration and respect for street-shooting... it takes a sharp eye, perfect handling of your camera, and GUTS.... I just can't gather the courage to point my camera at someone and shoot
    felt the same before ... until not long ago ... learned how to shoot & run

Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    felt the same before ... until not long ago ... learned how to shoot & run
    the few times I took such street pics.... it was still all right, I smiled sheepishly at the peepz and most of them smiled back... but ever since about two months ago, when I took this old man drinking coffee (or something, can't remember)... he started yelling something in dialect at me Thinking back I don't think he was angry, maybe he just had something to tell me, but the moment he raised his voice I panicked, almost peed in my pants and ran off...

the few times I took such street pics.... it was still all right, I smiled sheepishly at the peepz and most of them smiled back... but ever since about two months ago, when I took this old man drinking coffee (or something, can't remember)... he started yelling something in dialect at me Thinking back I don't think he was angry, maybe he just had something to tell me, but the moment he raised his voice I panicked, almost peed in my pants and ran off...
    b qoo ... u'll get used 2 it just make sure u can still run though

This site is in my bookmark list. Thanks for the intiative Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by wormz777
    This site is in my bookmark list. Thanks for the intiative Brian!
    No prob...this is my favorite kind of photography but I hadn't really come across any full online communities (forums + portfolio hosting + image critiquing + etc...) dedicated to it, although there are a bunch on scenics, macros, wildlife, etc...

Easier to be a photographic voyuer then a photographic participant, I guess.

So, I made one myself

Cool!!! Thanks Brian!

Ohh yeah you still in Taipei?? Most likely to be flying over in June

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    Cool!!! Thanks Brian!

Ohh yeah you still in Taipei?? Most likely to be flying over in June
    Yep

Spent a couple of weeks in Los Angeles visiting my fam & friends last month but am now back for the rest of the year. When you get your schedule firmed up PM me and I'll give my my cell no. I've got a scooter so I'm pretty mobile, but I also am a struggling bu-shi-ben owner so we'll have to arrange a time to meet up and go shooting.

Smile

Nah...just stop being a distant vouyer and start being more a participant in what you photograph. Street photography, at its soul, is taking the "seperation" aspect out of photography...meaning, most photographers use the camera as a way to (conciously or not) seperate themselves from their subjects. Street photography means you have to "get in the midst of" your subjects.

This type of photography is more personally fufilling to me because I take away from it a better understanding of other people and I am able to share at least a little of that understanding through the pictures I take. Nowadays people don't take the time to know each other and that's sad.
    Last edited by OpenLens; 13th February 2004 at 03:52 PM.

Wonderful job. Will participate soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Parallel
    Wonderful job. Will participate soon.
    I truly appriciate the comment.

Thanks

Well done
    A site like this is long overdue.
    Brilliant work.

my pc having lots of problem after surfing this website leh..am i the only one ?after surfing this website,my IE cannot d/l the images at other website,must reboot then ok..am i the only one ?

mine's ok.
    maybe yr pc kena worm

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fantom
    Well done
    A site like this is long overdue.
    Brilliant work.
    Thanks

Until I looked, I always assumed there was a community site for street photography... Anyway, if you can't find what you are looking for then make it yourself. There might be others looking for the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    my pc having lots of problem after surfing this website leh..am i the only one ?after surfing this website,my IE cannot d/l the images at other website,must reboot then ok..am i the only one ?
    There was an issue last Wed/Thu (more initial traffic then I had expected), but it was resolved and things are humming along fine...the amount of initial activity kinda surprised me...and I am shocked at the high image sharing/commenting ratio and virtual non-existant gear talk so far.

Awesome