Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fountain Pen Forums

damn i juz went to buy a parker but it turns out its not as fine as i tot,
    is there a size for the nibs? and how do u know what size they are? i bought mine at popular cannot test leh coz no ink

Deregistered

I love FP's too! If I forget to bring my FP to work and have to use a ball pen my handwriting becomes noticeably worse. I am a doctor in Royal Perth Hospital and it is very easy to find my entries in medical notes because the ink is very distinctive. An entry made in FP jumps out of the pages at you whereas BP entries look so anonymous ...

doctor with good handwriting… an oxymoron just kidding

Amfibius, welcome to the forum mate! I think FPs are meant for doctors and journalist etc...cause you can write swiftly and still can read your own handwriting

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jeff chen
    Amfibius, welcome to the forum mate! I think FPs are meant for doctors and journalist etc...cause you can write swiftly and still can read your own handwriting
    BAH!!! Post in what you think is a fountain pen fan forum and everyone thinks you have bad handwriting just because you are a doctor!!!!!

Just you guys wait ... i'll stab you in the heart with my fountain pen!!!!

Heh, I might post some pics of my babies (OMAS celluloids, Pelikans) when there is some good light

Quote Originally Posted by Amfibius
    BAH!!! Post in what you think is a fountain pen fan forum and everyone thinks you have bad handwriting just because you are a doctor!!!!!

Just you guys wait ... i'll stab you in the heart with my fountain pen!!!!

Heh, I might post some pics of my babies (OMAS celluloids, Pelikans) when there is some good light
    Stab us in the heart with your precious fountain pen kinda waste isn't it mate

Seriously, there is a US FP forum called Rumbling Snail...

OMAS and Pelikans ooh wah...mine is Mont Blanc Limited Edition

Quote Originally Posted by jeff chen
    Stab us in the heart with your precious fountain pen kinda waste isn't it mate

Seriously, there is a US FP forum called Rumbling Snail...

OMAS and Pelikans ooh wah...mine is Mont Blanc Limited Edition

Speaking of Mont Blanc, they are the pens that I see people carry around usually... but if I come across someone carrying an Omas, Montegrappa, Namiki or Pelikan, I'd think to myself "Ah...there's someone who really likes his pens"
    Its just that for the $$$ most people would buy a brand that most people heard of like Mont Blanc ....unless they really know about pens.

I'm using a Cross fountain pen today...
    (A.T. Cross metropolitan- not made anymore)
    Last edited by tush; 15th March 2004 at 03:15 PM.

Does anyone know where I can get good quality used fountain pens?

Thanks

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by tush
    Speaking of Mont Blanc, they are the pens that I see people carry around usually... but if I come across someone carrying an Omas, Montegrappa, Namiki or Pelikan, I'd think to myself "Ah...there's someone who really likes his pens"
    Its just that for the $$$ most people would buy a brand that most people heard of like Mont Blanc ....unless they really know about pens.
    Well you are right there ... people who know about pens usually avoid Mont Blanc. Just like people who know about watches avoid Rolex, and people who know about cars avoid Rolls-Royce. Of course there are exceptions - the MB 149 is a good pen, and so are most MB limited editions - although I have never seen anyone use a MB limited edition in daily use. The Rolex Daytona was a decent watch (at least until they stopped using the Zenith movement). As for RR ... well I would never buy one even if I have the money

Quote Originally Posted by shutterspeed
    Does anyone know where I can get good quality used fountain pens?

Thanks
    Try rumbling snail or anyone in this forum. Not many FP users in Singapore though

I guess if you can afford to splash some serious amount of money on pen, you won't need to sell it to raise money for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Amfibius
    Well you are right there ... people who know about pens usually avoid Mont Blanc. Just like people who know about watches avoid Rolex, and people who know about cars avoid Rolls-Royce. Of course there are exceptions - the MB 149 is a good pen, and so are most MB limited editions - although I have never seen anyone use a MB limited edition in daily use. The Rolex Daytona was a decent watch (at least until they stopped using the Zenith movement). As for RR ... well I would never buy one even if I have the money
    If you want to Zenith movement, why not buy a Zenith?

Seriously, for the amount of money you pay for a Daytona, I think a JLC Master would have been a better buy (minus the recognition).

I think a JLC is more high class than Rolex ...lor.... LOLZ. where got minus recognition?

I went MPH and saw the streamlined rocket shaped Sheaffers and Watermans... about $300-400... are they good to write with? they sure look nice...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Go try it out! A fountain pen should fit your hand beautifully and that depends if you have large or small hands.

No point getting a beautiful looking FP when it does not "fit" well. Those are meant for collectors!

Also, write with it. Make sure it flows effortlessly and that you can write for hours without feeling any pain!

Check the nib, make sure it is flexible yet hard enough. What size nib would you like, as they come in sizes ...

My all time favourite is a Mont Blanc 149!

I have a small hand, and I prefer the straight barrels. Waterman is my choice for the weight and balance. If you are starting out, please don't spend too much, there are cheaper Parker (good enough) at about $20. My own Waterman (read previous post) is $100 and served me 5+ years.

Speaking of pen barrels, do you guys prefer metal or resin ones?
    Also what types of mechanisms do you guys like?
    For me I like the screw plunger type that pelikan uses...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by tush
    Speaking of pen barrels, do you guys prefer metal or resin ones?
    Also what types of mechanisms do you guys like?
    For me I like the screw plunger type that pelikan uses...
    CELLULOID rules!!!

I don't like metal because it makes for a very heavy pen. Resin is nice and light but if we are talking Mont Blanc resin they are thinner than an eggshell and just as fragile. There are some nice resin pens out there, like those made by Delta and Ancora.

Nothing beats the beauty and depth of colour of celluloid. And yes I prefer piston fillers too

yup yup... the pens are too exp hence didn't buy... save for CFs haha
    I am one for fat pens, holds nicely (I had to grip-wrap a wacom "willow" pen for normal use)
    but fat fountains I like sheen, ie metallic so still looking ard..
    is bras brasah cheaper?
    anywhere with big variety of low-mid end pens?
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

hi all,

i am not sure is this the rite thread to post, but it is the closest i can find in CS

so pse dun flame me if i got it wrong...

ok...i got some qns on Mont Blanc pens, besides getting from the official Mont Blanc Boutique, i understand that some outside shops (like a few in Parkway Parade) are also selling Mont Blanc pens. Are these pens sold by outside shops the real thing? how to check for real stuff?

thanks in advance!

cheers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast