Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

  1. #1

    Default Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Hi I would like to know what brand of cleaning kits are you using which is good. I have been using R.O.R for years but it is expensive. Anyone using the following brand?

    Lenspen LP-1
    Zeiss Cleaner
    Kinetronics

    Btw anyone know where to get original lenspen LP-1 ~$10?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Oh btw i use it with Kodak lens tissue now under Tiffen. Anyone has better alternative? Btw how good is Zeiss/ Pentax Cloth? Oh back to previous post, I do use my breath (free!) quite often.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    A 3m microfibre cloth does wonders.
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    I use the Matin microfibre cloth with ROR. A bottle of ROR can typically last you for a long long time unless otherwise you drench your lenses and filters in it

  5. #5

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by DonnyDan View Post
    Hi I would like to know what brand of cleaning kits are you using which is good. I have been using R.O.R for years but it is expensive. Anyone using the following brand?

    Lenspen LP-1
    Zeiss Cleaner
    Kinetronics

    Btw anyone know where to get original lenspen LP-1 ~$10?
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...=501928&page=2

  6. #6

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Oh LOL i used Scotch-Brite lens cleaning cloth few years back. Cant really get it that easily, I saw it at Giant Turf City when Giant just open it which is so many years already. Any idea where to get it and the price?

    I saw the ADV, anyone interested to get? We get it together lets make it $10!

    Ya i still have a unused R.O.R with me great, but consider changing it once it is used up. =) I clean all my lens after each project and used quite alot actually but the problem of R.O.R is the availability of getting it from shop.
    Last edited by DonnyDan; 4th December 2009 at 04:15 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    I have 2 x 2 oz bottles left with me. I have to find a way to replenish them as well. In a worst case, we can do a non-profitable mass order if too many people show interest in this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by DonnyDan View Post
    Hi I would like to know what brand of cleaning kits are you using which is good. I have been using R.O.R for years but it is expensive. Anyone using the following brand?

    Lenspen LP-1
    Zeiss Cleaner
    Kinetronics

    Btw anyone know where to get original lenspen LP-1 ~$10?
    Hi May I know what's R.O.R?

    And could you kindly elaborate what is a lens pen for?
    Jon

  9. #9

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnybravo View Post
    Hi May I know what's R.O.R?

    And could you kindly elaborate what is a lens pen for?
    www.google.com:

    R.O.R:
    http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=ro...ient=firefox-a

    Lens Pen:
    http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=wh...ient=firefox-a
    Alpha

  10. #10

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by DonnyDan View Post
    Hi I would like to know what brand of cleaning kits are you using which is good. I have been using R.O.R for years but it is expensive. Anyone using the following brand?

    Lenspen LP-1
    Zeiss Cleaner
    Kinetronics

    Btw anyone know where to get original lenspen LP-1 ~$10?
    for cost effective solution,

    get a GOOD MICROFIBRE CLOTH, i use TWO SETS, one for FILTER (more frequent cleaning), one for LENS.

    you will also need a BLOWER.

    to clean any surface, BLOW it first, then gently wipe the surface. if there are marks that do not come off that are definitely not permanent (it takes quite something to damage lens surface unless the coating is horrible, rare these days).. use something like eclipse solution or E2 (which isn't that expensive if you think about it, my little bottle has lasted me nearly 8 months and going and i clean my lenses regularly with it, along with sensor).. put on the cloth, repeat the gentle circular motion.

    lenspen is good, no doubt, but not cost effective because not reusable. also, effectiveness reduced after some time.

    microfibre cloth, just throw into washing machine, dry, hey presto, it will be as good as new.♦

  11. #11

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Ya been shooting for about 10 years, never tried a lenspen before =( though it is not cost effective I shall get one and try it myself. LOL. Been using Rocket since 06 a good blower indeed. Anyone tried Zeeion Anti Static Blower ? =)
    D300/700/3S|14-24|24-70|70-200|17-55|16|14|24PC|28|50|85|105M|135DC|500|18-200|24-120|200-400|T11-16

  12. #12

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Any recommendations for a disposable lens tissue? I've been using PecPads with Eclipse... but I still find strays of what seems to be oil/residue on my filters even after I tried wiping it off with clean PecPads. I used disposable lens tissues with Eclipse for my lens prior but got better results instead... so I doubt its the Eclipse solution... and my disposable tissues are running out fast!!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    for cost effective solution,

    get a GOOD MICROFIBRE CLOTH, i use TWO SETS, one for FILTER (more frequent cleaning), one for LENS.

    you will also need a BLOWER.

    to clean any surface, BLOW it first, then gently wipe the surface. if there are marks that do not come off that are definitely not permanent (it takes quite something to damage lens surface unless the coating is horrible, rare these days).. use something like eclipse solution or E2 (which isn't that expensive if you think about it, my little bottle has lasted me nearly 8 months and going and i clean my lenses regularly with it, along with sensor).. put on the cloth, repeat the gentle circular motion.

    lenspen is good, no doubt, but not cost effective because not reusable. also, effectiveness reduced after some time.

    microfibre cloth, just throw into washing machine, dry, hey presto, it will be as good as new.♦
    Good suggestion night86mare! However I'd like to add one more step before wiping sand or any other noticeable dust spec by brushing off gently using a high quality camel hair brush or high quality nylon bristled brushes. Sometimes, wiping off using a cloth before removing these specs can leave a scratch and these might not be blown off completely by a blower either.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Necroplastic View Post
    Any recommendations for a disposable lens tissue? I've been using PecPads with Eclipse... but I still find strays of what seems to be oil/residue on my filters even after I tried wiping it off with clean PecPads. I used disposable lens tissues with Eclipse for my lens prior but got better results instead... so I doubt its the Eclipse solution... and my disposable tissues are running out fast!!
    You can try the tissue from Tiffen (Formerly Kodak) and they are pretty good. I'm still happy with my Pec Pad and ROR though

    I usually spray the ROR on one area of the Pec Pad and fold it multiple times making the sprayed area exposed. Then I'll wipe the lens or filter starting from the center in a circular motion slowly towards outside. This will leave some streaks during this process. The next step is to unfold the Pec Pad and fold it in a way that those unused / dry areas are exposed this time. Follow the process by starting in the center and move slowly towards outside in a circular manner. This should clear off all the streaks left in the previous process

  15. #15
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    I quite like the lens pen for its convenience especially when outside shooting.
    It doesn't come close to a microfibre cloth for cleaning off more stubborn streaks, and yes, certainly it would not last.
    But for what it's worth, I love to have it along.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    I quite like the lens pen for its convenience especially when outside shooting.
    It doesn't come close to a microfibre cloth for cleaning off more stubborn streaks, and yes, certainly it would not last.
    But for what it's worth, I love to have it along.
    I do keep one handy with me. But my biggest problem with it is keeping it clean

  17. #17
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by geekbrains View Post
    I do keep one handy with me. But my biggest problem with it is keeping it clean
    Haha... I have to keep reminding myself not to touch the carbon tip with my oily fingers...

  18. #18
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Cleaning Lens/ Filter

    3M micro-fibre cloth would be my choice!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •