Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62

Thread: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

  1. #21
    Member papajanggo33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    rustic but charming hougang
    Posts
    898

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    then you must be a matured, law abiding, always signal type ha? he he he...just joking la bro!!!

    ya,can see your blue n yellow polished with those big alloy rims, turbocharged i believe..
    Fun in photography is inFinity
    My Flickr

  2. #22

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by papajanggo33 View Post
    then you must be a matured, law abiding, always signal type ha? he he he...just joking la bro!!!

    ya,can see your blue n yellow polished with those big alloy rims, turbocharged i believe..
    :P okie la i had been signalling when i change or in turning lanes la cos hmm safely to me and other drivers on the road.
    Canon EOS 500D | Sigma DC OS 18-200mm | EF-S 55-250mm IS F4-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II

  3. #23

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    I think for taxi, they are different because they have livelihood at stake and money drives them to be like that.

    Almost every city i have been to, most taxis would drive rather recklessly just to get that extra buck.

    I have seen taxis (not in singapore), picking up passengers in a road median, or alighting passengers outside hospital blocking ambulances.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    Everyone needs to make a livelihood.

    Why should taxi drivers be allowed to endanger the lives of others, in the name of making a livelihood?

    Back to the topic, there're a lot of reasons why driving in Singapore is frustrating, but it has primarily got to do with the fact that Singapore is very, very congested to begin with and is 100% urban.
    Last edited by kongping; 4th December 2009 at 03:08 PM.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    wherever i lay my hat...
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    that is one of the reasons why I didn't bother converting my license when i got here.

    In Singapore, people can swerve and cut you off on the road without any indication....and still blame you for not noticing their car

    IMO it's nothing to do with driver education(which is a joke by the way..i mean those parking poles? C'mon!), just a blatant disregard for other people.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by kongping View Post
    Everyone needs to make a livelihood.

    Why should taxi drivers be allowed to endanger the lives of others, in the name of making a livelihood?
    I am with you bro.
    Canon EOS 500D | Sigma DC OS 18-200mm | EF-S 55-250mm IS F4-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II

  7. #27

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    defensive driving is the key.

    anyway, most are very impatient so they dun have time to signal.

  8. #28
    Member adorable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bury Road
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    the more expensive the car, the lesser the need to signal.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    I think they know, if they signal, the fella will speed up to cover up the gap. then cannot go in liao..
    α850 | SAL2470Z | SAL135F18Z | SAL70200G | SAL50F1.4

  10. #30

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by gamebit View Post
    I think they know, if they signal, the fella will speed up to cover up the gap. then cannot go in liao..
    Hmm at the end of the day its also depends on the person if he willing to let the guy coming the lane or not.

    For me if people signal i will let them go and well if dun signal then good luck.
    Canon EOS 500D | Sigma DC OS 18-200mm | EF-S 55-250mm IS F4-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II

  11. #31

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringwraiths View Post
    Actually no need to take extra driving lesson here since your wife have experience in driving.

    All she need is to take a theory test and can convert to SG License. Have you to confirm this with the test or driving centers?
    Yes, she passed the basic theory test and they won't accept expired license to transfer (it was only a few months expired). I guess their thoughts are: once a license expires, the person suddenly loses his/her ability to drive. I still can not figure why the rule was set like that here.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by gamebit View Post
    I think they know, if they signal, the fella will speed up to cover up the gap. then cannot go in liao..
    That's why now I try not to let people who don't signal get into my lane.
    If a car signals, I would slow down and let it in.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by AbangR View Post
    Yes, she passed the basic theory test and they won't accept expired license to transfer (it was only a few months expired). I guess their thoughts are: once a license expires, the person suddenly loses his/her ability to drive. I still can not figure why the rule was set like that here.
    Hmm so sorry to hear that bro well its them that make the rules no choice.

    You know 'they' may need extra funds to top up for the lost in invesment in Dubai thingy lol
    Last edited by Ringwraiths; 4th December 2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Canon EOS 500D | Sigma DC OS 18-200mm | EF-S 55-250mm IS F4-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II

  14. #34

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringwraiths View Post
    I am with you bro.
    Not condoning that they can do so because of livelihood. just saying they are like that because they place their livelihood on top of other's safety.

    sometimes i just feel like throwing a rock at them. haha.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by AbangR View Post


    Why do you think this is? Maybe there is a cultural difference that I am not aware.


    the truth is that, if you signal, 80-90% of drivers on the road will speed up and tailgate the car in front of them so that you can't change lane.

    whatever this is for, i have no idea. i only know that i just signal because it is what i was taught and it makes perfect sense to do so. just that doing it is so much less irksome in the uk countryside.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringwraiths View Post
    My Friend have you seen a freaking cabby from far 3rd lane of road just change 3 lanes without signalling and just swoop to the customer position? and Have you seen a cabby just saw a customer infront and just Jam Ebrake well if you dun i hope that you are driving just behind or beside them.

    Please lor our local cabbies are damn famous with their driving style and picking up customer. And please go to CBD area during 8-10+ you wouldnt see a freaking single cab if you do god bless and they are all with their 'ON CALL' sign on.
    rafael very win leh.

    people say that cab driver change 3 lanes without signalling, that is clearly WRONG, no matter how you paint it. it is BAD behaviour, it endangers lives, and it should never be condoned or explained away.

    if you attempt to do so, that's fine, but let's see what you did in response:

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Looks like you are not experience with the world of business/money making outside of yourself... only YOU are excluded, you are special mah because you don't make $$$, you spent your old daddy's $$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    You still don't get it. No wonder local girls don't like Singaporean men.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Check this video out, they are referring to men like you. Its no general statement LMAO.
    http://www.razor.tv/site/servlet/seg...ews/39650.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael
    Because you need to be knock hard on your head to get some sense into your Diplodocus’ brain. LOL
    what does whether a man is marry-able or not have to do with passing a statement on cab drivers doing clearly illegal and partaking in bad behaviour on the road?

    how does insulting his dateability, spending his daddy's money or not have to do with the discussion? you cannot offer any rebuttals that make logical sense, so you think making personal attacks proves your point? you are sorely wrong if you think that.

    as to why he is being defensive, it is because you are being clearly offensive. and you started it. i am not sure why the mods have not done anything about these posts.

    posts reported.
    Last edited by night86mare; 5th December 2009 at 05:42 AM.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    People who don't signal are plainly inconsiderate and self-centred. They don't realise that no one can guess who wants to do what on the road and signalling is a form of communication to others.

    There're even worse drivers who doesn't even bother to turn their head to look at what is at their window (blindspot) before turning. If you've been driving sometime, you'll probably come to close with others (or yourself) almost smacking into another vehicle and the driver don't understand why it was there when he / she had checked the mirrors a second ago.

    Then there are drivers who think they are some stunt men who suddenly change lanes with erractic swerves when a gap appears on the other lane and they usually stop this reckless driving stunt after they experience being reared hard by another car, killed a motorcyclist, get fingered or simply receive a harsh fine from uncle sam.

    Anyway, it always amazes me that being the smallest country in the world, we ranked #2 in the number of reported accidents in the world (sign of over-population)- at least the last time I saw the stats 2 years ago.

    To all 'stunt' drivers out there, no one thinks you're a hero for your amateurish performance but everyone thinks you are another low-life on the road. And when you get into trouble for the stunt, we folks will celebrate your stupidity.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  18. #38

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    I'll make sure that when I signal, I'm already on the same speed (or similar) to the car at the side, so that I'll immediately turn to the other lane. The other driver won't have the time to speed up to block my way... Of course, if for some reason, I can't turn in, I'll just wait until someone gives way.

    So now my point is, most of the time, people change lanes to get to a faster lane. If you can't get into a lane for whatever reason, can't you just wait?

    And comparing the US to Singapore is kind of unfair. The max speed on the highway is 2x the max speed in SG, i don't think anyone would wanna make an error in judgment.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    And comparing the US to Singapore is kind of unfair. The max speed on the highway is 2x the max speed in SG, i don't think anyone would wanna make an error in judgment.
    Driving faster = less accidents?
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  20. #40

    Default Re: Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

    [QUOTE=AbangR;5660912]That's why now I try not to let people who don't signal get into my lane.

    There you go, it takes two hands to clap.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •