Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Advise Needed

  1. #21
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    i do wish that newbies would pause just for a moment before clicking "submit reply" and re-read what they had just typed...
    Exploring! :)

  2. #22

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by astrorion View Post


    good eample, but a newbies will always ask the question that surprise u
    i wonder if the below question ever comes to the mind of HP printer users.

    "Do i really need original ink?"
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    if you're a camera dummy... i do advice you to take a step back and consider if you REALLY need a DSLR instead of which brand or make.

    the dslr is not a toy like most of the kids seen walking around these days. your shots can really turn out crappy if you dont know how to use it. and it is HEAVY and BULKY. Do you really want to bring that out all the time?

    Instead i do recommend you pieces like the pro-sumer cameras like the canon G11 or other brands of similar make. Or go crazy with lomo on holga's or dianas~
    Yes i did consider that.... but its seem like my ixus dont really snap nice shot of my doggies when they are just move around... furthermore I might need it to bring the DSLR to the dog show to take nice photo for my friends doggies too...

  4. #24

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    go to the shops and hold the cameras in your hands
    only one will feel just right
    Thanks on your advised... I did went to canon showroom to try it out on the model... so far i have seen is 400D & 500D

  5. #25

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    If you intend to stay more of a hobbyist, paying premium for camera body and subsequent glass-stabilized lenses is simply unjustified. with that, Sony/Pentax/Olympus could also be in your consideration.

    Need high level of detail on dog fur? Pentax is your answer
    Last edited by elavan; 7th December 2009 at 10:02 PM.
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

  6. #26

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Gennie View Post
    Thanks on your advised... I did went to canon showroom to try it out on the model... so far i have seen is 400D & 500D
    go to a shop that sells both so you can hold and feel them side by side, for a fact nikon d5000 is heavier than canon 500d, it will boil down to personal preference on brand, aesthetics and ergonomics as technical specifications and brand wise, they are just about equal..if still can't choose, choose the brand where most of your friends use so you have something in common to discuss or borrow..if still can't choose, choose which side you are in star wars, the jedis are the canons, the dark side are the nikons

  7. #27

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    first and foremost, there is no lousy DSLR.

    All DSLRs are capable of producing high quality pictures. The "Canon and Nikon take better picture" is absolutely bullcrap (not to mention that Nikon uses Sony Sensors).

    So that aside, the difference between different brands are usually functions and value for money. Comparing the entry level DSLRs (basically means cheap DSLRs specially meant for beginners), Sony and Pentax are the more value for money brands compared to Canon and Nikon. All 4 brands makes good DSLRs as mentioned, there are no bad ones.

    So you dont hv to worry about buying a DSLR to find out it takes lousy pictures. There is no such thing. If a picture comes out bad, its 99.9% the fault of the user, and 0.1% camera spoil.

    So the final decision when choosing brands of camera is whether u wanna pay less to get more value, or pay more to get less value thats all.

    And also as mentioned before, buying Sony and Pentax will save you alot of money in the long run, as their image stabilizer is free of charge (build into Camera Body), whereas Canon and Nikon's image stabilized lenses are much more expensive. When u buy one or two IS/VR lenses, the extra you pay might be a few hundreds already. But of cos, if you are rich, then all these wont be of a concern to you. Sony and Pentax are more for budget conscious users who wants to get the best value out of their (limited) pockets

    I'll quote you an example. Suppose you buy a Nikon D3000, then you buy a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC lens (this is an extremely popular lens as its very sharp, has a fast f2.8 aperture and its cheap). The D3000 is roughly $800, and the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC cost $940. Total you spend $1740.

    But if you buy the Sony A330 (similar price with D3000), and buy Tamron 17-50 f2.8, it will only cost you $800 (A330) + $610 (Tamron 17-50) for total of $1410. This is because, unlike Canon and Nikon DSLRs, Sony (and Pentax) DSLRs have a build in image stabilizer, thus we do not have to spend the extra cash to buy a stabilized lens. We can buy a non stabilized one and still get image stabilizer effect.

    The above is just an example. Some lenses' dont cost so much to add in stabilizer (the cheapest Ive seen is $50 difference), while other lenses might cost even more than the Tamron's example.
    Last edited by android17; 8th December 2009 at 09:55 AM.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by gimumancer View Post
    go to a shop that sells both so you can hold and feel them side by side, for a fact nikon d5000 is heavier than canon 500d, it will boil down to personal preference on brand, aesthetics and ergonomics as technical specifications and brand wise, they are just about equal..if still can't choose, choose the brand where most of your friends use so you have something in common to discuss or borrow..if still can't choose, choose which side you are in star wars, the jedis are the canons, the dark side are the nikons
    Thank for your advised, I will go down to try it on both the camera, so far both brand my friends are using it...

  9. #29

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by gimumancer View Post
    go to a shop that sells both so you can hold and feel them side by side, for a fact nikon d5000 is heavier than canon 500d, it will boil down to personal preference on brand, aesthetics and ergonomics as technical specifications and brand wise, they are just about equal..if still can't choose, choose the brand where most of your friends use so you have something in common to discuss or borrow..if still can't choose, choose which side you are in star wars, the jedis are the canons, the dark side are the nikons
    I am looking on more on the movement type

  10. #30
    maxtheevil
    Guests

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    hi there,

    hope this is useful to u,

    if i were u, with the current knowledge of dslr that i have...


    1. if u are going to stay interested in photography for a long term basis,
    i would choose only nikon or canon, because of the trend forecase that they would still be a camera-centric company. this implies that you have a wider range of parts to choose from, compared to products by other companies.

    in short : choose nikon or canon only, easier to buy and sell next time.


    2. looking at the trend that dslr are disposables and not meant to last like SLR camera, think nikon F4, F5 etc.
    I would go for a used dslr camera.
    but, don't take the non-legal binding words like personal warrenty of the sellers.
    go for a new used dslr, that still has the original warrenty from the camera's brand.
    but pay within 50-60% of the price, since it's likely to be obselete.
    of course, alot of clowns want 80-90% for an electronic item, just ignore them. i have seen a clown selling a used item at more than the BRAND NEW PRICE! can you believe it?

    i go for used items without warrenty from the shop, but pay 50%<, and again, there's tonnes of hopefuls who want to sell at 80-90% of the brand new price. not going to happen if it were me as the buyer... why would i buy a used item at 80-90% of the new price, without warrenty... (if it's electronic or an item subjected to wear and tear?)

    3. if i buy a new item, i won't go to the shops locally, as their knowledge is underpar that from the online info i can gather. save on your bus fare or petrol bill and just buy online. just ensure that they accept paypal and it's got good reviews by other buyers, > 1000 buyers.

    that's all.



    still lost?

    give me a pm, i would revert if i can help.

  11. #31
    maxtheevil
    Guests

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    oh just one more thing,

    i chose nikon, because it's mount, F-mount generally don't change regardless of which generation of lens and SLR body it produces.

    this allows me to use a good old lens, or switch to a good VR lens or whatever happening lens they may release in the future.

    their older range of lens are mechanical, which to me, means that if things screw up, it's easier to get it repaired? compared to lens with tonnes of electronics (but the ones with electronics do focus faster)

    it depends on your own values when it comes to consumption.

    if u like a faster focusing n couldn't care less for compatibility of 1970s lens on a post 2000 slr body, etc, u may want to look into a canon system.


    they are known for its uber fast focusing. on the lens quality, i would believe it's insignificant between companies, since they produce lens the 'whole day', it won't be an event where u look at a picture and can tell the origins of a camera lens.... "oh, that picture is taken with a canon, or nikon, or leica, etc..." unless your META info is given...

    in short, choose nikon if u like a wider compatiblity with lens throughout its lens production history

    choose canon if u like a more intelligent lens (though nikon are up to it now, with its VR) (Canon is HSM)

    if u have the mula... i think canon system has the waterseal technology that allows u to take pictures in the rain... have nikon got a same system? that i don't know, do your own internet research...

    mula=$

  12. #32

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by maxtheevil View Post
    if u have the mula... i think canon system has the waterseal technology that allows u to take pictures in the rain... have nikon got a same system? that i don't know, do your own internet research...

    mula=$
    All cameras have weather-sealed bodies. Some (like Pentax and Olympus) are better than others.

    As for lens longevity, Sony has that benefit too thanks to inheriting the A-mount.
    Alpha

  13. #33

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    To the TS - 5000D with a 50 F1.8 or 85 F1.8 lens will do the job.

  14. #34
    maxtheevil
    Guests

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    All cameras have weather-sealed bodies. Some (like Pentax and Olympus) are better than others.

    As for lens longevity, Sony has that benefit too thanks to inheriting the A-mount.
    explain A mount please

    thanks

  15. #35

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by maxtheevil View Post
    explain A mount please

    thanks
    A mount: http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=mi...ient=firefox-a

    It's the Minolta AF mount. Minolta was one of the first manufacturers to create autofocus lenses and bodies, and thus created the A-mount, which is also known as the Alpha mount. That's why all Sony DSLR cameras can use the classic Minolta AF lenses.
    Alpha

  16. #36
    maxtheevil
    Guests

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    thanks for info


  17. #37

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by maxtheevil View Post
    hi there,

    hope this is useful to u,

    if i were u, with the current knowledge of dslr that i have...


    1. if u are going to stay interested in photography for a long term basis,
    i would choose only nikon or canon, because of the trend forecase that they would still be a camera-centric company. this implies that you have a wider range of parts to choose from, compared to products by other companies.

    in short : choose nikon or canon only, easier to buy and sell next time.


    2. looking at the trend that dslr are disposables and not meant to last like SLR camera, think nikon F4, F5 etc.
    I would go for a used dslr camera.
    but, don't take the non-legal binding words like personal warrenty of the sellers.
    go for a new used dslr, that still has the original warrenty from the camera's brand.
    but pay within 50-60% of the price, since it's likely to be obselete.
    of course, alot of clowns want 80-90% for an electronic item, just ignore them. i have seen a clown selling a used item at more than the BRAND NEW PRICE! can you believe it?

    i go for used items without warrenty from the shop, but pay 50%<, and again, there's tonnes of hopefuls who want to sell at 80-90% of the brand new price. not going to happen if it were me as the buyer... why would i buy a used item at 80-90% of the new price, without warrenty... (if it's electronic or an item subjected to wear and tear?)

    3. if i buy a new item, i won't go to the shops locally, as their knowledge is underpar that from the online info i can gather. save on your bus fare or petrol bill and just buy online. just ensure that they accept paypal and it's got good reviews by other buyers, > 1000 buyers.

    that's all.



    still lost?

    give me a pm, i would revert if i can help.
    Really thanks for your info... this really help me alot, i will take note on those 2nd hand ones, btw another question..... does canon provide FOC basic training? cause recently my gf got hers thru the IT fair.... she told me its doesnt come with the training course.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Gennie View Post
    Really thanks for your info... this really help me alot, i will take note on those 2nd hand ones, btw another question..... does canon provide FOC basic training? cause recently my gf got hers thru the IT fair.... she told me its doesnt come with the training course.
    Not sure. I know Sony does. Have you checked the Canon website?
    Alpha

  19. #39

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Not sure. I know Sony does. Have you checked the Canon website?
    Hmmm on the webby its say this "free camera, camcorder or printer training" but when i start to click, it say $200 for the course fee???

  20. #40
    maxtheevil
    Guests

    Default Re: Advise Needed

    bro,

    forget about the courses they throw in...

    all mickey mouse one...

    get the camera and throw away the kit lens.

    it only kills your learning.

    kit lens : 18-55mm

    best, buy just a DSLR body.

    since u sound really new, but trust me, u know more than me, when i started.

    go buy a 50mm lens if your body (i mean camera, not your physical body) is a full frame, they call FX

    go buy a 35mm if it's a DX or 1.5X, smaller sensor size.

    and play with it.

    u will learn how to compose from there.

    use

    1. spot metering.

    the use of the mickey mouse metering are good and make you dumb.

    using spot metering, u learn about lighting and u slowly would learn to use correct exposure 98% of the time.

    use the auto meter... sometimes the IQ of the camera is not that smart.

    hmm, what else?

    go get a book on photography operations, how to use a camera guidebook.

    don't buy, get it from library.

    read what u are interested in.

    and then use the DSLR to shoot.

    it's a learn as u have fun hobby.

    but if u really want to perfect the skills, not having "mickey mouse" when u have such a good body. (again, i mean camera, not your gf, not yours)

    go post your pics on global sites, i.e. deviantart.

    don't post of clubsnap... it is afterall an asian site. people tend to be reserved. crap pictures also tell u nice! ask them to pay $1 for it. and they would tell u, err, nothing lah, cause they would go to the red corner and click on the RED X . haha

    go deviantart, alot of artist there, and they are frank and specific on how to improve.

    of course, when i get crit... i am very mindful of the other party.

    is he/she a mickey mouse?

    if their works are crap... i don't take in feedback from them on my pics are good.

    if their works are good, i ask them for what are the crap element in my pics and how to improve.

    stick to the above, and u will improve fast.

    but again, maybe all u want is to take mickey mouse, porno like pics of your gf and other girls, then... CS suffice.

    there's even a market for the socially awkward to pay teenage girls to pose like jap porn magazines without taking out their clothes.... lame right?

    well, told u, this is a reserved and some what victorian site...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •