View Poll Results: Which lens would you get?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC

    25 44.64%
  • Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC

    19 33.93%
  • Both

    12 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: All in one lenses.

  1. #1

    Thumbs up All in one lenses.

    I am thinking if a all in one tamron 18-270mm can do all things why still need a 17-50mm lens?
    Just some curious, who would get this lens? or just both

  2. #2

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Though 18-270 covers the 17-50 range, you can't drop the aperture to 2.8. The Image quality (IQ) also differs with the 17-50 and even with your 18-105.

    One thing about these lenses (those with super wide range) is that you tend to get more pincushion effects at either wide or tele end and the purple fringing (chromatic aberrations) is also more. So basically you get convenience but sacrificing image quality.
    Shahrul Esa

  3. #3

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by astrorion View Post
    I am thinking if a all in one tamron 18-270mm can do all things why still need a 17-50mm lens?
    Just some curious, who would get this lens? or just both
    The lens cannot do all things, it can only cover a big huge range thats all.
    If you need a lens that can cover a huge range, prob thats your lens. But everyone has different needs

  4. #4
    Member akszaksz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Posts
    1,205

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    I will prefer 17-50, furthermore i seldom requires such zoom range for 18-270.
    http://www.akkuaphotography.com

  5. #5

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    you forgetting the options neither, which i'd choose.
    Shahrul Esa

  6. #6
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by shahrulesa View Post
    you forgetting the options neither, which i'd choose.
    Agree..... Neither.....

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  7. #7

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Agree..... Neither.....
    which would you choose? You using FF? 24-75 ?
    Sony a330 | 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 | 50 f/1.8 | M 28-80 f/4-5.6 | M 80-200 f/4.5-5.6

  8. #8

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by shahrulesa View Post
    you forgetting the options neither, which i'd choose.
    so which lens you chose? 10-24mm??? or prime lens 50mm/ 85mm

  9. #9
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    I will choose neither as well..
    I much depending on ur shooting style and what kind of lens one comfortable working with (be it zoom or prime). And u are comparing a do it all lens with a fast lens (f2.8)
    I'll get 17-50VC if u insists and 70-300VR at some stage in time later if the need call for it.
    Last edited by Numnumball; 4th December 2009 at 11:01 AM.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  10. #10
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    I don't know about the final results but technically, it seems that the image quality will be a vast difference.

  11. #11

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    I have a Tamron 18-200 for those times I can only afford to bring ONE lens. But I normally bring an UWA, mid-zoom and tele.

    So, it depends on situation, budget, etc.

  12. #12

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Don't think there is an all-in-one lenses that will cover, ranges like UWA, WA, mid-zoom, long zoom, those suitable to take animals. It would be like 10-500mm.

    On top of that, the lens have to be able to be used for:
    - Fisheye
    - Portraiture (creamy bokeh)
    - Marco
    - Fast (good focus speed)
    - Big (Max aperture f/1.2 - f/2.8)
    - Sharp at center and edge for nature/scenery shots when wide open
    - Light weight (so can use for travel)
    - Noiseless (so won't scare animals)
    - VR for up to at least 4 stops, but more is preferred (for use in low light conditions)
    - Perspective control (to take buildings)

    ........

    Nope. So far I have not know of such a lenses that can be all-in-one. If there is, let me know. Think it will cost about 1 million USD????

    Then I will only have 1 lenses. And make it a point and shoot since changing lens is no longer required. Throw in a rotate-able LCD like the D5000, full frame, with controls like D700, or make it fully auto. Then just get one camera can liao.

    I'm dreaming but Christmas is coming, so why can't we dream and hope?
    Last edited by shelomoh; 4th December 2009 at 01:10 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by astrorion View Post
    I am thinking if a all in one tamron 18-270mm can do all things why still need a 17-50mm lens?
    Just some curious, who would get this lens? or just both
    depends on line of work and style of photography.

    myself...i find the 70-300 range more useful as a events photographer. 18-270 would work just that not easy testing for good copy + not all stores will stock multiple copies.

    if you are using canon crop camera, the EFS 55-250 IS is possibly the most value zoom lens ever in my opinion.
    Last edited by Reportage; 4th December 2009 at 07:31 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  14. #14

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by shelomoh View Post
    Don't think there is an all-in-one lenses that will cover, ranges like UWA, WA, mid-zoom, long zoom, those suitable to take animals. It would be like 10-500mm.

    On top of that, the lens have to be able to be used for:
    - Fisheye
    - Portraiture (creamy bokeh)
    - Marco
    - Fast (good focus speed)
    - Big (Max aperture f/1.2 - f/2.8)
    - Sharp at center and edge for nature/scenery shots when wide open
    - Light weight (so can use for travel)
    - Noiseless (so won't scare animals)
    - VR for up to at least 4 stops, but more is preferred (for use in low light conditions)
    - Perspective control (to take buildings)

    ........

    Nope. So far I have not know of such a lenses that can be all-in-one. If there is, let me know. Think it will cost about 1 million USD????

    Then I will only have 1 lenses. And make it a point and shoot since changing lens is no longer required. Throw in a rotate-able LCD like the D5000, full frame, with controls like D700, or make it fully auto. Then just get one camera can liao.

    I'm dreaming but Christmas is coming, so why can't we dream and hope?


    Ya...maybe all in one is a bit too much to build in a lens. Sorry maybe I place the wrong idea . Me too I wish to dream to have something like u said, DXXXX (in future) with rotatable LED screen, full frame. Hahaha....

  15. #15

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Christmas coming so dream come true where only one brand, one model n one lens in the world so there is no major different n compare... haha
    Photography world will be 'flat'..

  16. #16
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by hoppie View Post
    which would you choose? You using FF? 24-75 ?
    EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM.........

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  17. #17

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    erm...18mm-270mm maybe is good for travelling...general use..so u dont have to take many lens and dont need to change lens so often....actually i am thinking of buying that lens for travelling only...since i have other lens for more specific use for better results...

  18. #18

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    erm...18mm-270mm maybe is good for travelling...general use..so u dont have to take many lens and dont need to change lens so often....actually i am thinking of buying that lens for travelling only...since i have other lens for more specific use for better results...
    for me I want to take both, but first I will choose 18-270mm for travel purpose. I will wait for my paid days to come hahaha......

  19. #19

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by astrorion View Post
    for me I want to take both, but first I will choose 18-270mm for travel purpose. I will wait for my paid days to come hahaha......
    but how is 18-270mm IQ?? as i know having one full zoom range...the IQ might not be good...

  20. #20

    Default Re: All in one lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    but how is 18-270mm IQ?? as i know having one full zoom range...the IQ might not be good...
    Errr...so sorry what do u mean by IQ, me a newbies.

    What in my mind is that i wanted to get a zoom lens but w/o bring so many lens to travel. I came across this Tamron 18-270mm, The focus length is 3.5-6.3 and is the same as my kits lens on D90, I might getting it to replace my kits lens. First I wish I can try it then consider to buy.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •