Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - Will GF1 fulfill my needs?

Default Re: Help - Will GF1 fulfill my needs?

Quote Originally Posted by artspraken View Post
    Ricoh GRDIII is superior to LX3, G11, S90
    http://www.alphamountworld.com/revie...iew?page=0%2C0
    yes yes yes, the problem is 28mm.

good for street maybe, not good for a lot of other things.

i don't think it's fair to just say "oh, this is better than that, that and that", that will always be bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by gongong View Post
    Hence, based on the various shutter speed I try before, 1/40 seems to be the slowest I can achieve a blur free shot of my baby.
    you do realise that the 1/40 thing could be because of hand shake, rather than your baby constantly moving.

if your baby is in constant motion and the longest period it can keep still is for 1/40 seconds.. that is really scary!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you do realise that the 1/40 thing could be because of hand shake, rather than your baby constantly moving.

if your baby is in constant motion and the longest period it can keep still is for 1/40 seconds.. that is really scary!
    Yah. i know about the handshake. thats why most of the time, i can only go down to 1/40seconds. not that my baby cant keep still per se. but its more of when you call out to them, they will look up and i would say, the smile/cheeky face will only last a split second.

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    Hello gongong, you keep talking about 1/40s and ISO 400, do you know what is aperture or not? If you picture is not "bright", that means it is not sufficiently exposed. Normally the camera will give you a warning if your aperture/shutter speed/ISO combi is insufficient to give a correct exposure. However, if you still persist to use the setting, then it is your fault, not the camera.

I suggest you go read up more about shutter speed, aperture and ISO, buying a more expensive camera is not going to help if you don't know what is going on. If you don't want to read up, then don't try to be too creative, select auto mode and let the camera decide aperture, shutter speed, ISO and flash settings for you.
    Yes. its not the camera fault. you are right in saying that its user fault. Coz from what i understand, if the room is not bright enough, I simply have to increase the shutter speed to allow for a longer exposure. (correct me if I am wrong. I did google, read the threads, etc)

Based on what I find out so far. Can anyone let me know if I am right in terms of “conversion”.
    In the same room, same lighting conditions, would the following settings yield about the “same” exposure.
    Iso400, f/1.7, 1/60seconds
    Iso400, f/2.8, 1/20seconds
    Iso200, f/2.8, 1/10seconds

If the above is correct, that means I can take my Fx520 and try shooting at Iso200, f/2.8, 1/10seconds. If I am happy with the results, that would means that I can shoot at 1/60seconds with a GF1 20mm at f/1.7 iso400.

Based on what I find out so far. Can anyone let me know if I am right in terms of “conversion”.
    In the same room, same lighting conditions, would the following settings yield about the “same” exposure.
    Iso400, f/1.7, 1/60seconds
    Iso400, f/2.8, 1/20seconds
    Iso200, f/2.8, 1/10seconds

If the above is correct, that means I can take my Fx520 and try shooting at Iso200, f/2.8, 1/10seconds. If I am happy with the results, that would means that I can shoot at 1/60seconds with a GF1 20mm at f/1.7 iso400.
    It is about there, but it is really pointless. If you want to use a fixed shutter speed and yet get correct exposure, then you have to use auto iso which may render your iso higher than 400. Setting all these values manually is only meaningful if you use flash.
    Last edited by crusher; 9th December 2009 at 10:39 AM.

(correct me if I am wrong. I did google, read the threads, etc)
    you are only confusing yourself with reading snippets of info here and there on the web.
    my humble suggestion: go to the library, borrow a book on photography basics and learn from there. buying a gf1 will only make things worse if you do not fully understand the relationship between iso, aperture and shutter speed.
    Last edited by Elessar; 9th December 2009 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I wish I am able to more illustrate my question properly.

Played around with my fx520 over the last one week at various places.
    tried lots of settings to see the impact it has on exposure.
    Eg. How much darker, how much brighter.

Overall, i think GF1 with 20mm at f/1.7 will help out.
    but in certain dim conditions, i will still have to use flash.
    If not, my baby will still create a blur.

Another method you can try is to use software to correct the noise and exposure. I do it all the time when I had my PnS to overcome all this noise and underexposed shots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12