Thread: P mode or M mode?

Default P mode or M mode?

Hi.

I am wondering if both P mode and M mode will yield the same exposure, given that both are in centre-weighted metering? It is only different if P mode is in evaluative metering and M mode is in centre weighted right?

why do people say that P mode is less reliable than M mode?????

pls explain....

thanks.

ps. excuse me if this doesn't make sense

i'm not one of those who say P is less reliable, but can guess why. P mode lets the camera choose the settings, while M mode fixes the settings. In tricky light conditions, the P mode can be fooled, but not the M mode. Once the M mode is fixed at a certain exposure for the current lighting conditions, it will always expose correctly in that lighting unless the overall lighting changes.

Of course, if the lighting changes and you forget you're in M mode, you're dead meat.

Above comments refer to flashless photography.

i dont agree...
    as long as the metering mode is the same, (refering to spot, centre weighted, or matrix), the EXPOSURE will be the same. the effect might and will be different due to lack of control of the shutter speeds and the apperture... but exposure should be the same...

this is assuming pointing at the same place at the same time...
    also assuming that the manual user makes his settings to zero as stated on the meter. and the p mode user does not use any exposure compensation.
    Last edited by showtime; 10th February 2004 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swimcraze
    I am wondering if both P mode and M mode will yield the same exposure, given that both are in centre-weighted metering? It is only different if P mode is in evaluative metering and M mode is in centre weighted right?
    the metering mode is irrelevant when u use M mode coz u set both aperture and shutter speed at your own will. this is what our friend showtime is trying to say

in modern day camera, when in M mode, whatever meterign mode(spot,centerweight,matrix) it will only signal to you how many stops your own choice of aperture and shutter speed differs from its own electronically derived value. eg. if in M mode u set f4, 1/60 then toggle among spot(S)/centreweight(CW)/matrix(MX), (C) may tell u it will gonna be 1 stop under/overexposed, CW may tell u no difference from its own reading, MX may tell u its 1/2 stop under/overexposed...so if u want to listen to either S,CW or MX, then u will dutifully adjust(either aperture of shutter speed) from f4, 1/60 to coincide with the value they tell u

Quote Originally Posted by swimcraze
    why do people say that P mode is less reliable than M mode?????
    coz u dont even have a say in what value of aperture and what value of shutter speed to choose when u use P mode
    Last edited by clive; 10th February 2004 at 09:04 PM.