Thread: Singapore Photographers Coffee Table

Default Singapore Photographers Coffee Table

I posted this in PhotoBiz but got no responses... sorry for the duplicate posting, but I think it's probably meant to be here:

There are plenty of great coffee table books featuring the images from some very well known photographers, but I really haven't seen any featuring Singapore photographers that isn't tightly themed in a way that causes the book to no longer be a showcase of a photographer's skill set. i.e. a book on black and white bungalows in Singapore may be full of beautifully shot pictures of that subject, but it's just B&W bungalows. Is there a book out there that I haven't come across in my wanderings through Kino & Borders? If not, why not? I've seen some really beautiful work from Singapore shooters that, IMHO, deserve to be in a coffee table photography book somewhere...

Default Re: Singapore Photographers Coffee Table

reason is simple.

there is no market for coffee table book by singapore photographer

will you spend 200 bucks on a coffee table book featuring pics of singapore?

most singaporean won't.

since there is low demand, there has been no supply.

there is one of the recent one from Zhang Jingna. can get it from Page One. There is this book from David Tan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by artspraken View Post
    reason is simple.

there is no market for coffee table book by singapore photographer

will you spend 200 bucks on a coffee table book featuring pics of singapore?

most singaporean won't.

since there is low demand, there has been no supply.
    Until Steve McCurry shot it, I don't many people would have thought a picture of an Afghan girl in a red traditional dress against a green background would have been worth much, but his Afghan girl is probably the most famous single photo portrait in existence.

Demand is directly proportional to desirability, and if the pictures are strong enough (composition, subject, angle, etc.) for people who appreciate good photography, then there will be the demand for Singapore images in a book. I will check out Page One and find those 2 books mentioned in the the above reply, but I feel there is something missing in the market, maybe it is a book with more than 1 photographer and priced to sell, which would probably cap the retail price at no more than S$100.

One of the CS moderator, tchuanye do print coffee table book of his macro shots for sale.

I'll do a photobook in two years.make sure you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    2 years is way too long. lets do the raunchy film gwc booklet first.

maybe one of those hardcore CS xmm shooters should compile one - all the CS xmm models
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    maybe one of those hardcore CS xmm shooters should compile one - all the CS xmm models
    at the risk of getting off-topic, I think the gold standard for these kinds of books / images would be Sneaker Lover with Aki Hoshino

http://thisislavie.com/footwear/snea...ver-photo-book

shot in Hong Kong, some of the locations are well known tourists spots

Quote Originally Posted by auralasia View Post
    at the risk of getting off-topic, I think the gold standard for these kinds of books / images would be Sneaker Lover with Aki Hoshino

http://thisislavie.com/footwear/snea...ver-photo-book

shot in Hong Kong, some of the locations are well known tourists spots
    already got 1 copy sitting on my table since it was out.

Buy it here: http://kikstyoshop.com
    Preview it here http://www.goma-books.com/hoshino/
    Read a review of it here: http://kix-files.com/2008/01/kiks-ty...er-photo-book/
    Yonehara, the phtographers official site here: http://cexwork.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    I already have one of your mini photobook.......
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

deleted
    Last edited by artspraken; 5th December 2009 at 05:46 PM.

I've been thinking more about this, going to Page One / Borders / Kino and checking out what's available... Photography is not my profession, but I am very interested because it closely parallels my profession (creative freelance) and I am wondering if a coffee table book of Singapore photographers / Singapore photographs needs a little out of the box thinking.

What if (and I can already hear the groans from everyone given that I'm starting with 'what if') we do a coffee table book of 50 / 75 / 100 up-and-coming photographers in Singapore, which would exclude the established professionals? Maybe we'd have to kick in some money each, but sharing the cost would open this opportunity to those who for myriad reasons wouldn't do a book that was only their pictures. There'd have to be some overall leader and some tasks (picture editing, format, layout, etc.) would have to do done properly by those who do it full-time for a living, so the next thing to ask is what would be a workable contribution for everyone to pay?

The tricky thing, of course, is to have a good structure / theme to the book, and to have a system in place that places the top priority on the pictures themselves, not that a photographer has the $$ to contribute to the project.

Feedback?