Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi! I'm a beginner k-x'er!

Default Re: Hi! I'm a beginner k-x'er!

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    Yes, they go well together. I use both on my k10d.
    Oh! shall pm you more in detail

Hi All,

Sorry to hijack this thread but wanted to pose a question,
    been contemplating getting a K-X, but was a bit hesitant cos the last time I used an SLR camera was back in my school days almost 30 years ago. Been using a Lumix point and shoot for capturing my kids.

My question is does the K-X come with an Automatic point and shoot feature while I slowly relearn the basics of photography and slowly ease myself back into shooting manual?
    If it does, can someone pose some photos taken via Auto function so that I can see the quality of the photo?

thanks very much in advance and hope you dont mind my newbie question.

Quote Originally Posted by reyreina View Post
    Oh! shall pm you more in detail
    if you wear glasses it might compromise the sides of the magnified view tho
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by fazer8511 View Post
    Hi All,

Sorry to hijack this thread but wanted to pose a question,
    been contemplating getting a K-X, but was a bit hesitant cos the last time I used an SLR camera was back in my school days almost 30 years ago. Been using a Lumix point and shoot for capturing my kids.

My question is does the K-X come with an Automatic point and shoot feature while I slowly relearn the basics of photography and slowly ease myself back into shooting manual?
    If it does, can someone pose some photos taken via Auto function so that I can see the quality of the photo?

thanks very much in advance and hope you dont mind my newbie question.
    don't think they'll ever look good on auto and straight out of camera tho..yet I don't think the learning curve is that steep for the other modes, unless you intend to only jump back into manual. since auto function is only a transition phase for you I'd suggest not to be too bothered by output at that level
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

Would you recommend a split screen + O-ME53?
    what's a split screen + O-ME53? am i missing something out here? haah.. i also want a focusing screen! but it's so ex in that site... US$70+... how are the Ebay ones ah? US$29 only...

unknown brands I don't know, they have QC problems so I stayed away..

O-ME53 is an optical magnifying eyepiece to replace the one you have (which is only a mounted piece of rubber). this new eyepiece enlarges your view by 1.2x
    Gallery

there is someone selling the o-me53 , at olympus b&s!?!! , reasonable price i think.

Quote Originally Posted by hamustar View Post
    there is someone selling the o-me53 , at olympus b&s!?!! , reasonable price i think.
    compatible with pentax ah?

Quote Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
    compatible with pentax ah?
    you should ask, compatible with olympus ah? i never knew that the magnifier could be used on oly cams

anyway $30 is a very good price, usually the going rate on pentax B&S is $50. faster go buy.

Quote Originally Posted by hamustar View Post
    Wait wait! Don't rush into it! (not to hamustar, but to whoever's interested in the o-me53)

I googled and found this on dpreview: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=28715020. Looks like the o-me53 does a great job on the smaller Oly bodies, but they need to mod it before it fits. So buying from the Oly B&S may mean that you get a modded o-me53 that may or may not fit well on a Pentax body anymore. Better ask the seller before committing to anything.

I would really like to try a new focusing screen + O-ME53, but my reservations are:

1. The microprism will appear too dark under high f stops to be used comfortably.
    2. The often mentioned viewfinder vignetting by O-ME53 is very obvious

sad.

I would really like to try a new focusing screen + O-ME53, but my reservations are:

1. The microprism will appear too dark under high f stops to be used comfortably.

sad.
    No concerns for both:
    1. We are talking about the max. aperture of your lens. Not the aperture that you choose to shoot. All modern cameras use a stop-down method (invented by Pentax, forgot the technical name) where the lens is only stopped down to the selected aperture during the instant you take the picture. While focusing, i.e. looking through the focusing screen, the lens is and will always be opened at it's maximum aperture no matter waht f-stop you are using.

2. It is not really vignet. Just that you may not see the entire image completely as it has been magnified, especially if your eye are not close enough to the viewing hole. But it had never affected me and I really appreciate the magnification that I would never use my camera without it.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

sad.
    Agree with scorpioh that 1. is not a concern, and 2. may not necessarily bother you. Both are fairly common accessories among the Pentaxians here, so if you're keen to see for yourself if they're ok before you buy, you can attend the Dec outing that's being discussed now. Best opportunity to check out different Pentax stuff to decide what you like.

sad.
    1) won't black out
    2) I wear glasses and having 100% vf, not sure about this. on k7 w/o magnifier i'm already having a little vignetting if my eyes are not firm enough against the default eyepiece.
    Last edited by elavan; 5th December 2009 at 10:02 AM.
    Gallery

I'm tempted to try the double split image focus screen from ebay... yum yum...

Quote Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
    I'm tempted to try the double split image focus screen from ebay... yum yum...
    Get the one from Focusingscreen.com. Much better quality than those from eBay . . .

I bought one from eBay but the screen keeps collecting dust. The Focusingscreen one is much better.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

sometimes the cutting of the microprism on unknown brands are also crude, never know what you're gonna get, so better be safe
    Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by fazer8511 View Post
    Hi All,
    Yes. All Pentax DSLR comes with a PnS mode called "Auto Pict" which practically controls everything. It works like pNS in that it choose the mode (portrait, macro, landscape,etc), and does all the exposure settings for you automatically. I find the feature able to take decent shots for most occasions unless the lighting is difficult. In Program Mode, its the same except you get to change some of the settings to suit your creative taste.
    But when time allows, go to av mode especially if you using fast primes...
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

Thank you elavan and airconvent for the feedback.
    Your input has given me the confidence to
    plan a purchase on the k-x soon.

Cheers

Nice.. im also a new owner of kx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast