Thread: Is Omni-bounce add-on to F32X omnipotent?

Question Is Omni-bounce add-on to F32X omnipotent?

Most of you are aware that the F32X has only a vertical tilt. If I were to do portrait shots, I cannot tilt the flash to bouce off the ceiling.

Will the omni-bounce work the same way as a bounce-off-the-ceiling? Is the omni-bounce really "omni-bounce"? Will it work better than a direct bounce-off-the-ceiling? Hope to hear from experienced users. Cheers!

I'm not an experienced user But I don't think so. If you want it to tilt horizontally, get the hot-shoe adapter.

Cheers.

its like diffuse the light across & not direct creating a centre bright light. unless you are really near.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    its like diffuse the light across & not direct creating a centre bright light. unless you are really near.
    Hi,
    Does that mean that by using an omni-bounce, I can technically point the flash directly towards the subject and not get the harsh lighting?

My main issue is that without the vertical and horizontal swivel head, F32X would limit the use of bounce flash for portrait shots.

Gosh, I miss my Nikon SB-16.... used to own it when I was using the Nikon system. Fantastic design with multi-angle swivel plus auxiliary flash head.

Thanks for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by pianodancer
    Hi,
    Does that mean that by using an omni-bounce, I can technically point the flash directly towards the subject and not get the harsh lighting?

My main issue is that without the vertical and horizontal swivel head, F32X would limit the use of bounce flash for portrait shots.

Gosh, I miss my Nikon SB-16.... used to own it when I was using the Nikon system. Fantastic design with multi-angle swivel plus auxiliary flash head.

Thanks for your feedback!
    ya, it kinda soften it. mayb i take a pic with direct & with omni flash when i have time. or u wan can meet me to test.

btw the F32x also have the wide plate, never use, but is tat the same function?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Control the flash output manually for the fill-in. I done this with a outdoor model shoot last month with the F32X.

http://art2d2.clubsnap.org/gallery/model110104

As you can see, almost all the photos there I use manual flash settings of 1/32 or 1/16, depending on the distance and lighting conditions.

The results are great, but some trial and error need to be done first.

For indoors, I haven't shot any indoors portraits vertically yet but was thinking of doing the same manual setting to diffuse the flash output. For standard horizontal shots, just bounce it off the ceilling will do.

I might test out the result with the Omnibouce one day, but so far, I do not feel there is a need for one.
    Last edited by art2d2; 11th February 2004 at 12:40 PM.
    Pentaxian for life ! My Webby
    K-X, DA70mm F2.4. DA 35mm F2.4, DA 18-135 WR

Quote Originally Posted by art2d2
    Control the flash output manually for the fill-in. I done this with a outdoor model shoot last month with the F32X.

http://art2d2.clubsnap.org/gallery/model110104

As you can see, almost all the photos there I use manual flash settings of 1/32 or 1/16, depending on the distance and lighting conditions.

The results are great, but some trial and error need to be done first.

For indoors, I haven't shot any indoors portraits vertically yet but was thinking of doing the same manual setting to diffuse the flash output. For standard horizontal shots, just bounce it off the ceilling will do.
    Thanks for sharing the pics. Does that mean that manual control is better than using bounce-flash method? Did you use the omni-bounce for all your shots?

I was thinking, for outdoor shots, it's not really a big issue because of ample natural lighting (also, there is nothing to bounce off the flash). For indoor shots, the bounce off the ceiling will be good to remove shadow casts.

Quote Originally Posted by pianodancer
    Thanks for sharing the pics. Does that mean that manual control is better than using bounce-flash method? Did you use the omni-bounce for all your shots?

I was thinking, for outdoor shots, it's not really a big issue because of ample natural lighting (also, there is nothing to bounce off the flash). For indoor shots, the bounce off the ceiling will be good to remove shadow casts.
    My experience with omnibounce is limited. I'm just sharing my method of lowering the flash output. If you do get a chance to use the omnibounce with the F32X, please post some pics. Probably you can also try my method and compare it the results with omnibounce, that will be interesting to see.

For outdoor shots on that day, there was a strong sunlight directly in front of us (as in the clubsnap photographers who also went for the shoot), and this cause a dark shadow on the model's face, therefore the fill-in is definately needed. Do not expect natural light to give you ample illumination all the time.
    Pentaxian for life ! My Webby
    K-X, DA70mm F2.4. DA 35mm F2.4, DA 18-135 WR