Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

  1. #1

    Default 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    Hello guys

    I'm getting a 50D with kit lens this weekend - initially i was quite set on getting the 18-200, but i'm getting swayed by some of my friends recommendations.

    Basically I already have a 10-22 and 18-55 with my existing 400D, but I'm upgrading to a 50D, and I usually take landscape, architecture and I do like the occassional portraits/street photog. I was thinking the 18-200 would help me catch details on buildings etc that are too high up, etc. I'll be giving the 400D together with the 18-55 to someone, so i'll only be left with the 10-22, and have to get a new set.

    I was just wondering how often do you guys use the telephoto side of your 18-200 and whether it'll make more sense for me to get the 17-85 because of the USM?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    Whether others use the telephoto range or not makes no difference seeing as it will be you who will be using the lens

    That said, the 18-200mm is sufficiently sharp at 200mm. Not too sure about the 17-85mm

  3. #3

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    usually for a lens that ranges from 18-200, u get very good versatility at the expense of IQ.

    do consider 24-70.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Off the map
    Posts
    235

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    Quote Originally Posted by dingzyangz View Post
    usually for a lens that ranges from 18-200, u get very good versatility at the expense of IQ.

    do consider 24-70.
    If you say that, you might as well suggest primes.
    But getting back to topic. I also recently got a 50D with the original Canon grip with the Canon 18200 lens. it feels kinda off balance as compared to my previous 500D with grip.
    But IQ wise, its good enough.
    Do try out at the shop first before committing.

  5. #5

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    that's y I use primes mainly. but there will be times where u need zoom. if u ask me, I will nv go for 18-200.
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedKimchi View Post
    If you say that, you might as well suggest primes.
    But getting back to topic. I also recently got a 50D with the original Canon grip with the Canon 18200 lens. it feels kinda off balance as compared to my previous 500D with grip.
    But IQ wise, its good enough.
    Do try out at the shop first before committing.

  6. #6

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    thanks for the replies guys. the reason why i'm asking is cos i'm not too sure how much of the 200 end i'll be using, since i've never had a zoom lens before, but thanks

  7. #7

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    My vote goes for 18-200mm...
    No doubt it is only a micro-motor, but the focusing is fast!

    Upgrade from 18-55mm to 17-85mm has very little difference...

  8. #8
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,917

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    Quote Originally Posted by ayearabroad View Post
    thanks for the replies guys. the reason why i'm asking is cos i'm not too sure how much of the 200 end i'll be using, since i've never had a zoom lens before, but thanks
    Haa.. thats a tough question u posed at the start of this thread. U shd known better as u r the one using the lens. Since u put it this way, that means u wun need it. IMO, it's nt worth spending on the 18-200 and use it since for its versatily (1 lens do it all), ur IQ/Speed is compromised. i will get 17-55 f2.8 USM if i will u, its a nice combination with ur 50D and get 70-200 f 4 or f2.8 (be it IS or NON IS) at a later stage should it call for it
    Last edited by Numnumball; 3rd December 2009 at 03:12 PM.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  9. #9

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    I got myself the 18-200 so that I can use it for travel. Also useful to explore the various ranges to see which is more to personal style of shooting before getting better lenses. So far, seems that 10-22 and 70-200 would be ideal for me. Hardly shot much in between.

  10. #10

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    I would skip both and get the 55-250 instead

    I used the 17-85 before, nice range but IQ is much better on my 55-250
    the 18-200, I don't like the pincushion effect at wide.

    If you use more tele, the 55-250 will meet your needs and saves you money as well.
    Shahrul Esa

  11. #11

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    Had a 18-200, now using 17-85 IS USM. Getting 24-105L despite the 1.6 crop factor on my 40D. The reason is simple. "L" lenses is the answer to great IQ. If we want to shoot on the streets, then go for 17-40L. No matter what, get an L. Your pocket burns but you'll soon forget about the "pain" once you view your pics on the computer screen. As the saying goes, "The more colours you see on your lens, the better the IQ".

  12. #12

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    I will be facing the same problem soon too. Will be glad to hear some advise with 50D + 18 -200mm combo or any other types of lens.

    Initially, i am looking for 500D after some try, feel 50D is better for my requirement.
    The issue now is which type of lens to go along with a 50D.

    Kit len 18-200mm or other recommendation.

  13. #13
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    Quote Originally Posted by sabrecruz View Post
    Had a 18-200, now using 17-85 IS USM. Getting 24-105L despite the 1.6 crop factor on my 40D. The reason is simple. "L" lenses is the answer to great IQ. If we want to shoot on the streets, then go for 17-40L. No matter what, get an L. Your pocket burns but you'll soon forget about the "pain" once you view your pics on the computer screen. As the saying goes, "The more colours you see on your lens, the better the IQ".
    Better IQ can be achieved with some non-Ls like the 17-55mm and the Tamron 17-50mm/28-75mm. These lenses are said to be even sharper on a crop than the 24-105mm.

  14. #14

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    Quote Originally Posted by sabrecruz View Post
    Had a 18-200, now using 17-85 IS USM. Getting 24-105L despite the 1.6 crop factor on my 40D. The reason is simple. "L" lenses is the answer to great IQ. If we want to shoot on the streets, then go for 17-40L. No matter what, get an L. Your pocket burns but you'll soon forget about the "pain" once you view your pics on the computer screen. As the saying goes, "The more colours you see on your lens, the better the IQ".
    Another user who think only L lens produce good IQ.
    *Face palm*

    You gonna miss out a lot of good IQ non-L lense, especially when you are on APS-C.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    Quote Originally Posted by ayearabroad View Post
    Hello guys

    I'm getting a 50D with kit lens this weekend - initially i was quite set on getting the 18-200, but i'm getting swayed by some of my friends recommendations.

    Basically I already have a 10-22 and 18-55 with my existing 400D, but I'm upgrading to a 50D, and I usually take landscape, architecture and I do like the occassional portraits/street photog. I was thinking the 18-200 would help me catch details on buildings etc that are too high up, etc. I'll be giving the 400D together with the 18-55 to someone, so i'll only be left with the 10-22, and have to get a new set.

    I was just wondering how often do you guys use the telephoto side of your 18-200 and whether it'll make more sense for me to get the 17-85 because of the USM?

    Thanks.
    Hi, since you have the 10-22 already, getting a 18-200 will be good. Best of both world, wide and tele. I am sure you will be using it once you have it. You may be apprehensive now but through regular usage, you will learn to appreciate the flexibility of having this lens (general walk-about). But if you have budget constrainst, it's ok to opt for 17-85 instead. Just my 3 cents advice.
    Canon EOS 40D | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,749

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    Quote Originally Posted by soons View Post
    Another user who think only L lens produce good IQ.
    *Face palm*

    You gonna miss out a lot of good IQ non-L lense, especially when you are on APS-C.
    actually he is right to a certain extent. the 24-105 according to the iso charts on the digi pic, performs better than 15-85. but the way he puts it seems wrong. 17-55 is better than the 24-70L and 24-105L. =)

  17. #17

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?



    wow... then I guess Canon needs to relook into their L series? ef-s getting better than L series? pls use reference else it is going to start misleading TS.

    if u wanna stay on cropped factor, by all means, stick with ef-s. but one day, you will need to sell all ur lens if you going FF.

    L lens is not there just because pple have more $ and just want to buy something more expensive than normal.

    I am outta here. I guess the forum has enuff info for TS to decide which lens to buy. but read through carefully.

    cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by soons View Post
    Another user who think only L lens produce good IQ.
    *Face palm*

    You gonna miss out a lot of good IQ non-L lense, especially when you are on APS-C.
    Quote Originally Posted by auden09 View Post
    actually he is right to a certain extent. the 24-105 according to the iso charts on the digi pic, performs better than 15-85. but the way he puts it seems wrong. 17-55 is better than the 24-70L and 24-105L. =)
    Last edited by dingzyangz; 5th December 2009 at 08:43 AM.

  18. #18
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: 18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

    Quote Originally Posted by dingzyangz View Post


    wow... then I guess Canon needs to relook into their L series? ef-s getting better than L series? pls use reference else it is going to start misleading TS.

    if u wanna stay on cropped factor, by all means, stick with ef-s. but one day, you will need to sell all ur lens if you going FF.

    L lens is not there just because pple have more $ and just want to buy something more expensive than normal.

    I am outta here. I guess the forum has enuff info for TS to decide which lens to buy. but read through carefully.

    cheers.
    Some EF-S lenses such as the 17-55mm and the 10-22mm have L-class IQ

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •